hello from ireland/with clutch problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2010, 06:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default hello from ireland/with clutch problems

hi everyone, just joined up so i'm not sure where to post my first question?
i have a 98 2.5 turbo diesel limited cherokee with manual gear box. my clutch went about 6 months ago, it was just worn out. so i replaced it myself with help from 2 friends. anyway the other day while driving my clutch went, the pedal went soft so i taught it was the slave cylinder.i took it out to check and it seemed fine but when i stuck my finger in to check the fork arm, it seemed to be in too far. so i took the gearbox out (didn't think i'd be doing that again after only 6 months!) and found that the clutch release bering retain clips had broke and the bering had turned and got stuck in the fork arm which stoped the arm from going back into place, hence the no clutch feeling at the pedal.so i brought the arm and bering to a mechanic friend who said that there was too much play between the bering and the arm which allowed the bering to twist sightly and caused the retain clips to break, see photo. but he said the arm or bering were not worn. so i rang the shop who supplied the clutch and they said it was the right part? helppppppp! has anyone come across this? do i just replace the bering for the same thing to happen again in a few mouths? also does any one know where to get a new bering? most shops only sell the whole clutch kit which is to dear just to get a bering.
anyway thanks for any help n sorry about the biggggg post.
noel
Attached Images  
Old 03-22-2010, 07:11 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 2004
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7L V8

Hey Noel. JMO But you guys probably installed the clutch fork/throw-out bearing incorrectly. It happens. You can get just the parts you need without buying the entire kit, at least over here. I don't know how things are over there across the pond. Or if you want to order the parts you need here and deal with the shipping issues. I'm sure someone here with more experience will chime in with some good advice for you.
Dan

Old 03-25-2010, 04:46 PM

hi, got the new release bering today. 80 euros, not too bad. but the only thing wrong with the old one was that the retaining clips broke. ah well.
i brought the old parts with me to the jeep dealer to check, he said it looks like i fit it correctly and he fit the new one into the fork the same way and said it was fine,... but i'm not happy. it has a bit of play side to side. i'm worried that it will twist and break the clips again in a few months... my mechanic friend said that there should be very little play and that he would squash the fork in a little for me to tighten it???
what do i do???????????

photo of my sick jeep.
Attached Images  
Old 03-25-2010, 05:32 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 2004
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7L V8

Try looking at another fork to verify yours isn't damaged/worn/defective. If so, replace with another fork. JMO
Dan
Old 03-25-2010, 05:34 PM

Year: 1998
Engine: ???

Welcome to the club, good luck with the tranny.
Old 03-25-2010, 07:57 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0 inline 6

welcome aboard! I wish my xj was TD
Old 03-25-2010, 08:54 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by 00XJ
welcome aboard! I wish my xj was TD
don't we all..
Old 03-26-2010, 06:12 PM

hey don't you guys have diesel over the pond?? Ha Ha. i'm glad mine's diesel too because we pay road tax by the year and it goes on engine size. i pay 800 euros a year for my 2.5ltr(diesel road tax is a bit cheaper than petrol) my friend pays about 900 euro for a 2ltr car. can you imagine what a 4ltr petrol would cost to road tax over here?? also petrol is dear here, about 1.30 euro a ltr. whats that in dollars? is the diesel a better motor than petrol?
but i would love a v8 motor in it with straight through pipes! $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Old 03-26-2010, 06:57 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

if I figured right .70 cents per liter here roughly.
Old 03-27-2010, 06:17 PM

Talking

70 cent a ltr, that would be sooo nice.
Old 03-28-2010, 02:52 PM

put the gear box back in today. can't seem to bleed it. got lots of air out of the bleed niple. but now only fluid comming out and still the clutch pedal is very soft? may be i just need to keep at it for longer? can't start it to see what its like cause i busted up the crank sensor.

Last edited by bridge9; 03-29-2010 at 05:08 PM.
Old 03-29-2010, 05:14 PM

back in action. blead the clutch, just took lots of pump'n. fixed the old crank sensor too. happy days, thanks everyone for help and ideas.

Last edited by bridge9; 03-29-2010 at 05:17 PM.
Old 04-02-2010, 04:20 PM

Engine: 2.5TD
Default 2.5TD Sport clutch.

Hello, I bought a 97 2.5TD Sport which had been stood a couple of years and when I came to move it there was no clutch. However when I pumped the pedal I get some clutch. I thought master/slave cylinder needs bleeding but when I checked the manual it says these items are sealed and cannot be bled. The master runs off the brake reservoir and has a allen screw where I would expect a bleed nipple to be, both on the slave and master cylinder. Can I change these screws for bleed nipples or just bleed through the set screws. I have an auto bleeder? Mike
Old 04-03-2010, 04:30 PM

Hi fireman263. My jeep is the limited model. My brother has a sport. There is a big difference in his when it comes to take off speed! Anyway my clutch master cylinder is separate to the brake one. It’s a bit hard to see, are you sure you just didn't miss it? On the slave cylinder that allen key is for bleeding. There is a pin hole face'n the gear box. Pump the pedal fast and hard loads of times before you start bleeding it. That worked for me.
Hope this helps. Noel

p.s. I don't think you can use an auto bleeder on the allen key screw. Just get a friend to pump like hell then hold his foot down. You then open and close the allen screw on the slave. Repeat a good few times. Make sure to keep toping up your brake reservoir. Also put a few rags under your gearbox because the fluid sprays on to the gearbox and drips everywhere!

Last edited by bridge9; 04-03-2010 at 04:38 PM.
Old 04-04-2010, 06:37 AM

Engine: 2.5TD
Smile 2.5TD Sport Clutch

Hello Bridge9, Thank you for the info will let you know how I get on. I first of all stripped out the carpets and interior and welded any area's I thought were going to give me problems in the future. I also did not want to start spending on parts only to find it was not economically salvageable. I do know it came from a good home and the owner assured me it was fine when he parked it up when he bought his 5 series beemer. It started first time with no smoke after a 2yr stand and is very clean. Its just the clutch and lumpy power steering.Cheers,Mike

Quick Reply: hello from ireland/with clutch problems