Hello from Denmark

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2018, 03:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee(SJ)
Default Hello from Denmark

Hi guys, I am planning to get my first Jeep and I want it to be a Cherokee but I do have a lot of questions that I hope the more experienced jeep drivers can help me with..
I have already done a lot of online reading
on the topic and know that the 4.0l motor is the one to get, mainly due to its reputation for reliability.

I live in a country where modding is not really legal, so any upgrades would have to be factory options or discreet in appearance.
What I would like to do with the jeep is offroading it, I have read that there is an up country factory package that provides some lift, I could probably get away with retro fitting that - is it available as aftermarket parts? I also think I could use 235/75r15 tires without looking to much like a modded beast, how much would this lift the car compared to stock tires?
The biggest question that I have is the lack of headrests in the XJ's, can they be retro fitted or would I be better off with a ZJ ? I want headrests as I will be driving with teenagers in the rear seats..
Also I would like to get one that is as old as possible since it will soon be a classic car with lower taxes and insurance in my country (this happens at the age of 35)..
Old 03-30-2018, 04:04 AM

Default Re

Oh and am I right in looking for an automatic transmission model, for offroad driving as they have a high/low gear selection right
Old 03-30-2018, 09:57 AM
CF Veteran

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 97
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by Prodigy
Hi guys, I am planning to get my first Jeep and I want it to be a Cherokee but I do have a lot of questions that I hope the more experienced jeep drivers can help me with..
I have already done a lot of online reading
on the topic and know that the 4.0l motor is the one to get, mainly due to its reputation for reliability.

I live in a country where modding is not really legal, so any upgrades would have to be factory options or discreet in appearance.
What I would like to do with the jeep is offroading it, I have read that there is an up country factory package that provides some lift, I could probably get away with retro fitting that - is it available as aftermarket parts? I also think I could use 235/75r15 tires without looking to much like a modded beast, how much would this lift the car compared to stock tires?
The biggest question that I have is the lack of headrests in the XJ's, can they be retro fitted or would I be better off with a ZJ ? I want headrests as I will be driving with teenagers in the rear seats..
Also I would like to get one that is as old as possible since it will soon be a classic car with lower taxes and insurance in my country (this happens at the age of 35)..
Welcome! I have to chuckle at this... "I want headrests as I will be driving with teenagers in the rear seats.." lol Something between them and you? Or were you looking for rear seats with head rests? I don't think they make rear seats like these.

Most come with highback headrest bucket seats from what I understand. And whether standard trans or automatic if it is designated as "4X4" it will have your high and low range transfer case like you want. I might be mistaken but from what I understand the 97 to what 01? models are what to look for.

Last edited by Bugout4x4; 03-30-2018 at 09:59 AM.
Old 03-30-2018, 11:00 AM

Default Re

Yes I meant headrests in the rear seats, I see that the old 80s cherokee's have nothing to support the rear seat passenger's head if involved in a crash.. Is it possible to transplant the rear seat of e.g. a newer grand cherokee to get headrests on the rear seats? If it just ends up looking stock I don't think it will ever be noticed by the car inspector
Old 03-30-2018, 11:25 AM
CF Veteran

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 97
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by Prodigy
Yes I meant headrests in the rear seats, I see that the old 80s cherokee's have nothing to support the rear seat passenger's head if involved in a crash.. Is it possible to transplant the rear seat of e.g. a newer grand cherokee to get headrests on the rear seats? If it just ends up looking stock I don't think it will ever be noticed by the car inspector
Unless I am mistaken none of these models do. The rear seat is designed to fold down forward to increase the rear cargo area, and a headrest would block it from doing this. They are not a Volvo.