Engine swap

Old 11-26-2018, 07:18 PM
  #1  
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 4
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Default Engine swap

Hey guys I have 1998 Cherokee 4.0L, the engine is bad and I found another one to swap, I had a question on whether or not I would be able to swap a 1998 grand Cherokee 4.0L engine without any issues, I found out the trans arenít the same, I have an AW4 and ZJs have something different, will I be able to bolt that 4.0L to my AW4 or will this engine not work?
XJ98Burns is offline  
Old 11-26-2018, 08:11 PM
  #2  
CF Veteran
 
SatiricalHen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Greenville, SC
Posts: 5,426
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0
Default

Originally Posted by XJ98Burns
Hey guys I have 1998 Cherokee 4.0L, the engine is bad and I found another one to swap, I had a question on whether or not I would be able to swap a 1998 grand Cherokee 4.0L engine without any issues, I found out the trans arenít the same, I have an AW4 and ZJs have something different, will I be able to bolt that 4.0L to my AW4 or will this engine not work?
I believe it will work. I'm planning to pick up a zj motor for my cherokee this weekend, so I really hope it will work.
SatiricalHen is offline  
Old 11-26-2018, 08:35 PM
  #3  
Senior Member
 
RockinRonnie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Evart,Mich.
Posts: 558
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0
Default

Welcome to the site XJ98Burns !

I have heard they wont but will be watching and waiting on final word!
RockinRonnie is offline  
Old 11-26-2018, 11:55 PM
  #4  
CF Veteran
 
SatiricalHen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Greenville, SC
Posts: 5,426
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0
Default

So zj and xj should be the same. To be safe I'd keep all the sensors and accessories from the motor you pull out of your jeep
SatiricalHen is offline  
Old 11-28-2018, 01:27 PM
  #5  
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 4
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Default

Originally Posted by SatiricalHen View Post
So zj and xj should be the same. To be safe I'd keep all the sensors and accessories from the motor you pull out of your jeep
I planned on swapping the computer and all sensors, just putting my a/c compressor from old engine on this one thatís it , rest is being changed.
XJ98Burns is offline  
Old 11-28-2018, 01:49 PM
  #6  
CF Veteran
 
SatiricalHen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Greenville, SC
Posts: 5,426
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0
Default

Originally Posted by XJ98Burns
I planned on swapping the computer and all sensors, just putting my a/c compressor from old engine on this one thatís it , rest is being changed.
A zj computer won't work in a xj I don't think. You should swap all accessories and sensors from the motor you pull out of the xj onto the zj block. That will give you the best shot at success.
SatiricalHen is offline  
Old 11-29-2018, 02:22 PM
  #7  
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 4
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Default

I don't know if the computer from my XJ will work, the engine I have in the jeep currently is a 2000 4.0L so it has the ignition coils instead of distributor cap. Will the computer work for a distributor?
XJ98Burns is offline  
Old 11-29-2018, 03:23 PM
  #8  
CF Veteran
 
SatiricalHen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Greenville, SC
Posts: 5,426
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0
Default

Originally Posted by XJ98Burns
I don't know if the computer from my XJ will work, the engine I have in the jeep currently is a 2000 4.0L so it has the ignition coils instead of distributor cap. Will the computer work for a distributor?
You'll need to use the coils with the sensor instead of the distributor and wires. Just have to make a mount for the coil pack.
SatiricalHen is offline  
Old 11-29-2018, 06:06 PM
  #9  
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 4
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Default

Originally Posted by SatiricalHen View Post
You'll need to use the coils with the sensor instead of the distributor and wires. Just have to make a mount for the coil pack.
Okay thanks, will my a/c compressor be an issue If I swap that over? I know the one Iím buying the a/c donít work but mine is ice cold and Iíd like that for the summer time haha.
XJ98Burns is offline  
Old 11-29-2018, 06:41 PM
  #10  
CF Veteran
 
00t444e's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Southern OH
Posts: 1,945
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0
Default

The blocks are the same, you use the wiring harness, sensors, connectors, and accessories that are in your Jeep.
00t444e is offline  
Old 11-29-2018, 06:43 PM
  #11  
CF Veteran
 
SatiricalHen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Greenville, SC
Posts: 5,426
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0
Default

Originally Posted by XJ98Burns
Okay thanks, will my a/c compressor be an issue If I swap that over? I know the one Iím buying the a/c donít work but mine is ice cold and Iíd like that for the summer time haha.
Ac should be fine. I don't know how well it works on Cherokees, but when I did the motor on my Jetta I just swung the compressor and condenser off to the side so I wouldn't have to have the ac vacuumed and and recharged.
SatiricalHen is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
TheDoss
Modified XJ Cherokee Tech
2
05-22-2018 08:15 AM
sambroom
Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here!
2
07-15-2017 09:13 AM
Divine Impressions
Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here!
16
09-14-2014 08:07 AM
HIRAM
Modified XJ Cherokee Tech
3
09-20-2011 09:52 PM
Drewdertuder
Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here
7
09-09-2009 01:29 PM

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Engine swap


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: