CJ/TJ guy with a new to me XJ Sport.

Old 01-25-2019, 12:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0
Default CJ/TJ guy with a new to me XJ Sport.

Hi everybody! Looking forward to learning from all the great assembled knowledge here on the forum. 19 years ago bought my first 1978 CJ-7, and I never should have sold it. Fast forward to 2-3 years ago, and I finally got back into the Jeep world with. 2003 Wrangler(TJ) sport. My wife has always wanted a Jeep as well, but jku's are out of our price range, so last night we picked up a 2000 Cherokee Sport.

It is definitely a project, but hopefully I brought a little bit of knowledge of what to look out for. At 241,000 miles, the 4.0 seems to be running well, though I need to download the CEL codes. Last night on the way home I lost oil pressure, but after shutting her down and rebooting 🤣 pressure came right back to normal(thinking bad sensor, loose wire, or plugged pump?)

The uniframe looks and sounds solid, but the passenger front floorboard is rusted away. Maybe a previous heater core leak or some kind of spill?

​​​​​​It needs and alignment, and the front trackbar has some play, but otherwise the driveline appears to e in good shape.

the driver's seat is a bit wobbly, but with this cold I haven't had a chance yet to see if it's a broken riser or broken seat or what. Passenger seat is pretty much just sitting in place because of the rusted floorpan.

She's already scheduled with a body shop for the floorpan, because I don't know how to weld, but hoping to do most of the rest myself. Will get better pictures with time.

My wife and I run a Michigan/Indiana/Ohio group called Tri-State Christian Jeepers, and she's already named this girl "Covenant."
​​​​​​

Old 01-26-2019, 10:53 AM
CF Veteran

Received 249 Likes on 199 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: I6 4.0L

Welcome to the family and the forum.... also really dig your Jeep association as a Christian myself.

Look around... plenty of good info here!... and have a blessed day
Old 01-26-2019, 04:23 PM

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
Year: 2001

Welcome to CF Swirl1777! and to XJ ownership

A lot of great info on here and not my questions that cant be answered here! Nice looking Cherokee to start the Journey with!
Old 01-31-2019, 10:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000

Thanks y'all. With this Arctic blast, the xj is wedged tight in the garage, but I hope to work on it soon. TJ is having grounding problems too, so much work ahead.

Originally Posted by RockinRonnie
Welcome to CF Swirl1777! and to XJ ownership

A lot of great info on here and not my questions that cant be answered here! Nice looking Cherokee to start the Journey with!
Originally Posted by RocketMouse
Welcome to the family and the forum.... also really dig your Jeep association as a Christian myself.

Look around... plenty of good info here!... and have a blessed day