Another Newbie and I will............................

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2009, 05:18 PM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L HO
Default Another Newbie and I will............................

..............really appreciate your help/patience/suggestions. Never owned a Jeep until today. Took care of that by buying a 1998 Jeep Cherokee 4.0L automatic 2WD with 43K miles on the clock, at our semi-annual city auction this A.M. The city won't let you drive their auction vehicles, only start them and put them in gear with your foot on the brake and the parking brake applied. Somewhat pot luck. Anyhow, the engine started easily, idled smoothly with no knocks, ticks or rattles that I could hear. The auto tranny shifted smoothly/quietly in too and out of each position. Underneath, it appears dry as a bone......no drips on the pavement.

My question is, other than the normal replacing/changing fluids, belt(s), hoses, brakes, etc., etc., on a new to me but used vehicle, what else should I be looking for/paying attention too/checking/inspecting, regarding this particular model? Thanks so much.
Old 11-30-2009, 07:02 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you should start amassing parts to make it 4wd. or slam it, put some big huge tires on it and a huge V8, take it to the drag strip and smoke everyone else :P
Old 11-30-2009, 07:39 PM
I like it in the dirt

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2003
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

How much you pay for it?
Old 11-30-2009, 08:38 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 HO

didnt read the other replies< but if those are original miles you got a great vhihicle. the 4.0 is one of the most reliable engines ever made. a friend of mines lived to 350,ish miles. I purposely tried to put mine in questionable trails in 2WD. to my surprise she made it without 4X4. So, the weak link for you is any overheating next summer. The trans doesnt like heat. I dont have an answer for that. Im a newbie too!
Old 12-01-2009, 09:50 AM
CF Veteran

The miles are original/actual at 43K......in fact, the City ordered 3 identical '98 XJs in April '98 and all 3 have a May '98 build date. One only had 27K on it and the 3rd had 68k when auctioned off. I probably paid too much, for a 12 year old vehicle, with a high bid of $2137 but oh well. The City Fleet Dept. has a decent maintenance schedule that takes into consideration both miles and time between service/maintenance, so hopefully mine, or the other 2, won't split down the middle in a month or so.

Does the 4.0L have overheating issues even with proper maintenance?
Old 12-01-2009, 10:43 AM
I like it in the dirt

Originally Posted by djb383
The miles are original/actual at 43K......in fact, the City ordered 3 identical '98 XJs in April '98 and all 3 have a May '98 build date. One only had 27K on it and the 3rd had 68k when auctioned off. I probably paid too much, for a 12 year old vehicle, with a high bid of $2137 but oh well. The City Fleet Dept. has a decent maintenance schedule that takes into consideration both miles and time between service/maintenance, so hopefully mine, or the other 2, won't split down the middle in a month or so.

Does the 4.0L have overheating issues even with proper maintenance?
All jeeps have overheating issues at one point don't they? If i was you i would have held out for a 4wheel drive. Nothing like being half a Jeep man LOL
Old 12-01-2009, 12:46 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by itsanxjthing
All jeeps have overheating issues at one point don't they? If i was you i would have held out for a 4wheel drive. Nothing like being half a Jeep man LOL
I don't know, so again, do they? (gee'z, answer a ? with a ?, that's helpful) You're not me, and I can tell real quick I don't want to be like you......and 2WD floats my boat just fine because I'm plenty secure in my masculinity.
Old 12-01-2009, 03:55 PM

I don't know, so again, do they? (gee'z, answer a ? with a ?, that's helpful) You're not me, and I can tell real quick I don't want to be like you......and 2WD floats my boat just fine because I'm plenty secure in my masculinity.
hahaha.
Old 12-01-2009, 04:10 PM
I like it in the dirt

I dont want you to be like me I want me to be like me. And answering a question with a question is the way I roll. My point is all vehicles have all the same issues, its just how the issues are dealt with is unique. All vehicles have an overheating problem, thats why we invented radiators and coolant. The only way to find out what problems you will have is to drive it for awhile. there is not one person on this forum that can give you the magic answers to whats gonna happen to your junk in the future.
Old 12-01-2009, 04:45 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by itsanxjthing
......................there is not one person on this forum that can give you the magic answers to whats gonna happen to your junk in the future.
...........and most people that don't have a constructive answer leave it at that, by not posting a reply.................but then there's always someone that thinks they're a legend in their own mind, hijacks a thread and posts a smart a$$ reply,.....................'cause that's the way they roll.

I keep going back and re-reading your post about inventing radiators and coolant....................and I'm still shaking my head in disbelief.

Last edited by djb383; 12-01-2009 at 04:47 PM. Reason: correct word usage
Old 12-01-2009, 06:54 PM
CF Veteran

I was just messing around when I told you to gather the parts for a 4wd conversion. half the time when I go wheeling I don't even need or use 4wheel until I get stuck.
Old 12-01-2009, 06:54 PM
I like it in the dirt

When your done being high and mighty, post a new thread about problems you have in the future. Maybe some smart a@@ like me will be able to help, or maybe they will read your FIRST thread on this forum and decide against helping the guy who was a dick out of the gate.
Old 12-01-2009, 08:24 PM
CF Veteran

A little man hiding behind a big keyboard........every forum has one.
Old 12-01-2009, 08:47 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1997

..............really appreciate your help/patience/suggestions. Never owned a Jeep until today. Took care of that by buying a 1998 Jeep Cherokee 4.0L automatic 2WD with 43K miles on the clock, at our semi-annual city auction this A.M. The city won't let you drive their auction vehicles, only start them and put them in gear with your foot on the brake and the parking brake applied. Somewhat pot luck. Anyhow, the engine started easily, idled smoothly with no knocks, ticks or rattles that I could hear. The auto tranny shifted smoothly/quietly in too and out of each position. Underneath, it appears dry as a bone......no drips on the pavement.

My question is, other than the normal replacing/changing fluids, belt(s), hoses, brakes, etc., etc., on a new to me but used vehicle, what else should I be looking for/paying attention too/checking/inspecting, regarding this particular model? Thanks so much.
build a pre-runner and go jump some stuff
Old 12-01-2009, 10:17 PM
I like it in the dirt

A little man hiding behind a big keyboard........every forum has one.
My keyboard is tiny. And im a pretty big guy. It comes from having worked on a rock crusher since i was 16. Welcome to the CF from Shawn in Alberta Canada.

Quick Reply: Another Newbie and I will............................