Vehicles Post any vehicles you wish to sell.
Mark this thread as Unsold

FS[FourCorners]: 1988 Cherokee 4.0 4x4 Renix

Old 02-17-2018, 04:52 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1988
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default 1988 Cherokee 4.0 4x4 Renix

Hi there Cherokee forum!

I bought this Jeep about three years ago while I was living in Prescott AZ, a foresty outdoors kinda town, with intention of making a trail driver. Things did not work out as planned and I have been back in Phoenix proper for the last couple years. I had done a fair bit of work to the Jeep to make it OK for city driving, but it needed more work than I could afford to do so it has been sitting on my driveway for a while now.

It has a 4.0, 4x4 and the transfer case that allows for AWD (I forget the name for it). It is a 'project' type thing that is ugly as heck, black primered with a coat of cheap very light blue paint on the hood and roof. (for sun protection).

I want to just get it off my driveway and maybe get a few hundred bucks for it. Maybe $500. It isnt pretty and needs a few things to get it to be a worthwhile vehicle again. I, quite frankly, think it would be better for a parts donor, but would be just fine if you want a decent beater body for offroading.

It has new brake pads and shoes, new front rotors, rear drums are OK. New harmonic balancer. It was running reasonably before I let it sit. I upgraded (bypassed) some of the lighting wiring...using a group of toggle switches. Good for those who want to put more lights on it and other accessories. The interior is different...the headliner was replaced with a cool fabric featuring Mexican sugar skull print. I sure liked it. You might not...but can just replace it easy-peasy with some other fabric of your choice.

The transmission works great. Transfer is good. The differentials are good. Needs balljoints else you may experience a very annoying issue. The exhaust is nonexistent shortly after the catalytic conv.

Like I said, it would work best as a parts donor, but if you want to build a project out of it, it isnt a terrible platform. You would need some skills though. Being an Arizona car, it doesn't have a lot of rust on it.

$500 obo..and you will have to tow it as the battery is dead and I don't want to deal with it any longer.

Kevin
Old 02-17-2018, 05:03 PM

The one issue that needs to be fixed was the one isue that makes me want to get rid of it. I would otherwise build it back to decent condition. The front passenger door had been ripped off of the body at one time and the location where the hinges attach to the body needs to be welded / repaired...and the door is missing the inner trim panel. Any door from '88 to '91 or so will fit on it, or you could just replace the trim panel.

The door locks and the ignition key switch needs replaced too. Not expensive, just a pain in the ****.
Old 02-17-2018, 05:07 PM

For pics, look to the left, under the location for 'my photos'.