Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

zj or wj heated seat swap

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2014, 05:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default zj or wj heated seat swap

I am considering swapping in heated seats for 2 reasons. A. Heated seats would be nice. B. My Xj seats are terribly uncomfortable. Now I have seen a few DIYs with ZJ and WJ seats swapped, but they were usually heated and powered. Did jeep ever make manual heated seats? I just don't want to have to do more wiring than the heating seats or troubleshoot faulty electric motors. So what year grand Cherokees would I look for to have manual heated seats??
Old 01-21-2014, 02:25 PM

You can add heater kits to any seat. eBay has them for cheap-usually under $75.
Old 01-21-2014, 02:35 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0

I agree with RSU...
I love the idea of heated seats due to my back being like a pretzel and they sure are nice.
Finding a nice set of heated seats from a Grand cherk will not be really easy unless you want to have them recovered. For some reason every pair I usually see in the junkyard is shot out, torn, ruined. I did score a pair of cherry ones yesterday but they are not heated and are the kinda "pillow top" leather ones from mid-late 90s? I'm likely to try these out and add some heating elements from fleabay.
My XJ has a pair of super nice heated leather seats from a late 2000 (2010 ish?) Honda two door car. They are nice seats but I had to completely fab new mounts and they still don't fit quite rite, to high IMHO. Not to mention I had to beat the dog poop out of the tranny tunnel to get them in. That sucked.
My CJ has a pair of 2002 Nissan Pathfinder heated/leather ones in it that are nice as well. But mounting seats in a CJ is way different than an XJ.
I'd suggest two courses of action.
Either take yours to an upholstery shop and have them add heaters and recover or find a pair of good ones on flea bay. Shoot for the correct years Grand Cherk and bolt them in, wire them up, and enjoy.
Or you could spend big bucks and order Mastercraft/Corbau heated racing seats...but those are not cheap at all. :O
Old 01-22-2014, 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by RubberSideUp
You can add heater kits to any seat. eBay has them for cheap-usually under $75.

You must not have read the part where I said that my XJ seats are terribly uncomfortable, I wouldn't put a dime into my current seats.
Old 01-22-2014, 09:08 AM

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

I swapped in wj leather heated power seats. I planned on using the heat but after searching every corner of the web it seemed impossible to do without some serious electrical work. So I'm just going to add some aftermarket heaters to them, it is a much easier solution
Old 01-23-2014, 05:40 PM

foofopps, read my post again and apply it to any seat you choose.