Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Zj Disc Brake Swap Parking Brake Cables

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2014, 10:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1989
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L I6
Default Zj Disc Brake Swap Parking Brake Cables

Did the ZJ disc swap on my 89 XJ, and am in need of a solution for the parking brake cables. I already butchered my brand new stock cables trying the loop-and-clamp method. I am wondering if there is a part number out there that I can order two of to be a direct fit.
Old 05-26-2014, 11:21 PM

Not sure if this help or not but I just did this swap on my 2000 and used the drivers side cable that was on the ZJ and a passenger side cable off a 2000 ford explorer ( doesn't matter what model). It was an exact fit. Got it from rock auto for like $15.00.
Old 05-26-2014, 11:29 PM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

There is a super easy way to do it, featured in one of muscleheads builds.... But since you already butchered the cables, here ya go;
http://www.jeep4x4center.com/rough-t...52-dbc-05.html

Your welcome!!!
Old 05-26-2014, 11:39 PM

Originally Posted by amorth
Not sure if this help or not but I just did this swap on my 2000 and used the drivers side cable that was on the ZJ and a passenger side cable off a 2000 ford explorer ( doesn't matter what model). It was an exact fit. Got it from rock auto for like $15.00.
The 97+ XJ's use a different system, the problem is that all the write ups I got my hands on were dealing with the newer XJ's.
Old 05-26-2014, 11:40 PM

Originally Posted by Jbh97009
There is a super easy way to do it, featured in one of muscleheads builds.... But since you already butchered the cables, here ya go;

Your welcome!!!
Seems like a dead link there JBH...
Old 05-26-2014, 11:44 PM

Your welcome!!!
But I think I found the ones you're talking about. 52" is the correct length I am assuming?
Old 05-26-2014, 11:48 PM

Yep, 52"..... That's really weird! A guy on another forum showed these a while back, and I was very happy to find them, they must have seriously just took them off their site because I looked at all this maybe 2-3 weeks ago.... I want to say it was a crown part, wish I would have saved the part numbers now
Old 05-26-2014, 11:59 PM

Yep, 52"..... That's really weird! A guy on another forum showed these a while back, and I was very happy to find them, they must have seriously just took them off their site because I looked at all this maybe 2-3 weeks ago.... I want to say it was a crown part, wish I would have saved the part numbers now
No, you just copied the abbreviated version of the link, so it didn't show up. It's still on their site haha. I have never been able to order anything with reasonable shipping off of Morris before, so we will have to see if this is still a cost effective solution after the shipping quote comes in.
Old 05-27-2014, 12:27 AM

Well I've looked at it from that link before.... Strange. I haven't ordered anything from them so I'm not sure there. I was going to order some of these but I might see if I can do some hillbilly engineering like musclehead and a few other guys have done first.
Old 06-09-2014, 10:18 PM

Alright- I went and paid $100 for the Rough Trail conversion kit cables, installed them, and I still have no parking brake.

I will say that my angst regarding this issue stems from the fact that I have not had a properly functioning parking brake for the entire time I have driven my XJ, around 4 years, despite my best efforts.

My star adjusters are adjusted to what I think is properly (Wheel rotates about 1 revolution with a hearty spin) with brand new parking brake shoes. I adjusted the cable adjuster, and when I try to pull the lever, it is extremely stiff, and I can only pull it up around 3/4 of the way, although I can still spin the tire by hand. It seems like the spring coils are beginning to bind.

I already messed up my stock cables trying to cut the spring. Has anybody used these cables, and did they have success, or did you have to cut some of the spring on these as well?
Old 06-09-2014, 10:45 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by EvstaG
Alright- I went and paid $100 for the Rough Trail conversion kit cables, installed them, and I still have no parking brake.

I will say that my angst regarding this issue stems from the fact that I have not had a properly functioning parking brake for the entire time I have driven my XJ, around 4 years, despite my best efforts.

My star adjusters are adjusted to what I think is properly (Wheel rotates about 1 revolution with a hearty spin) with brand new parking brake shoes. I adjusted the cable adjuster, and when I try to pull the lever, it is extremely stiff, and I can only pull it up around 3/4 of the way, although I can still spin the tire by hand. It seems like the spring coils are beginning to bind.

I already messed up my stock cables trying to cut the spring. Has anybody used these cables, and did they have success, or did you have to cut some of the spring on these as well?
So with the Rough Trail kit, were you able to get them hooked up? Are you sure that the actuator levers are correctly oriented? (the two pieces that push the shoes against the inside of the rotor)
Old 06-09-2014, 11:41 PM

Originally Posted by PocketsEmpty
So with the Rough Trail kit, were you able to get them hooked up? Are you sure that the actuator levers are correctly oriented? (the two pieces that push the shoes against the inside of the rotor)
Yes, they are hooked up- now that you mention it, I am not sure that the levers are oriented correctly. I can tell you that I took them off of the backing plate for painting the backing plate, and just put them back in. I took the rotors off after reading your post, and you are correct that there is very little if any outward movement of the parking brake shoes when the lever is pulled. The levers are the correct direction, but I didn't realize that further orientation was needed.

Any insight as to how to get them lined up right? I thought something didn't look quite right when I put it all together a little while ago, but didn't think much of it.

I still think that the springs may be too long as well, because I can only pull the handbrake lever 3/4 of the way up, even with a bit of slack in the cable. Unless the actuator levers are binding on something prematurely due to their disorientation.

Last edited by EvstaG; 06-09-2014 at 11:46 PM.
Old 06-10-2014, 01:44 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by EvstaG
Yes, they are hooked up- now that you mention it, I am not sure that the levers are oriented correctly. I can tell you that I took them off of the backing plate for painting the backing plate, and just put them back in. I took the rotors off after reading your post, and you are correct that there is very little if any outward movement of the parking brake shoes when the lever is pulled. The levers are the correct direction, but I didn't realize that further orientation was needed.

Any insight as to how to get them lined up right? I thought something didn't look quite right when I put it all together a little while ago, but didn't think much of it.

I still think that the springs may be too long as well, because I can only pull the handbrake lever 3/4 of the way up, even with a bit of slack in the cable. Unless the actuator levers are binding on something prematurely due to their disorientation.
Those little levers are a pain. Here are some photos I took when I did my ZJ conversion last year. I'm *pretty sure* this is the correct way...maybe somebody else can verify. I had a hard time finding this information on the 'net at the time.

Name:  IMG_20130604_193827_zps9b4f06c7.jpg
Views: 1139
Size:  70.4 KB
Name:  IMG_1946_zps77f8b1c8.jpg
Views: 1148
Size:  44.9 KB
Name:  IMG_1945_zps9044fd06.jpg
Views: 1165
Size:  47.3 KB
Old 06-10-2014, 11:10 AM

That's very helpful, thanks! Basically, make the arms pretty well perpendicular, or up against/close to the pin?