Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

XJ's First mods

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2018, 02:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1988
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default XJ's First mods

My first XJ, right after the RC 4.5" lift. only had 31" tires on it. So it looks a little funny. Im looking for a 4.5" Lift for my current XJ, and tires. I have D30/D35 so I dont want to push it and break an axle.

There is a D60 Set of axles available, that I could swap, but that is a fairly big job, straight forward, but big. Should I do THAT swap, a 4.5" lift, and figure out wheels and tires from there?

Old 07-18-2018, 03:55 PM
CF Veteran

Received 456 Likes on 369 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0

Unless you want larger than 35s I would just swap a 29 spline Chrysler 8.25 out of a 97-01 XJ in and keep the Dana 30 front.
Old 07-18-2018, 03:58 PM
CF Veteran

Received 226 Likes on 176 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0 L

If you're looking to get into some serious wheelin it would be most efficient for you to do frame stiffeners, rock sliders and maybe a cage first then install the 60's with long arm suspension and a high steering kit on monster truck tires. All that stuff is pretty much required at the level of wheelin which warrants dana 60's.

If all that seems like way too much, swap the dana 35 rear out for a 8.25 and run it with 33's or something.
Old 07-19-2018, 06:29 AM

Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

All depends on how you plan to use the Jeep. I have a few friends running D35's on 33's with no issues. (DD's & occasional wheeling)
Old 07-19-2018, 10:53 AM

I will be using it for :

- Pulling a trailer with a few Dirt bikes, Quads, or perhaps camping equipment.
- Scouting Logging roads, and generally taking in the awesomeness that is Vancouver Island (Mostly from logging roads)
- Hunting / Logging / Car Camping
- Minor Wheeling, I would say.. climbing logs that have crossed the logging roads, crossing some ditches, and adventuring up some very very old logging roads / paths / goat trails.

This is not a Daily Driver, Its a toy / Toy hauler. For me, and my family to enjoy. Im not competing with anyone, Im in a race. But I DO want a capable machine for some fun and excitement, and that looks like fun too.

I am currently chasing down some demons ( Faulty switches, weak actuators for electric locks / windows, lights making decisions of their own. ) Need a front Grill, and re-mount or eliminate the stock roof rack.

Doing some upgrades ( 160amp Alt., Onboard Air, Roof Rack / Water Storage, Paint Repair / Bed Liner the whole thing)

Upgrades Im looking into :

- D30 Chromoly Shafts
- D30 Sleeves / C Gussets
- SYE (Hack n Tap)
- Super 35 Kit
- Cooling system upgrade (Better Rad, Electric fans, High flow water pump and Open System conversion)
- Head Lights / ALL Bulbs to LED
- Radio... there is NO MUSIC in my XJ, and the speakers are all rotted out
- Analogue Gauges (Oil pressure / Temp, Coolant Temp)
Old 07-19-2018, 11:15 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Hotwire
I will be using it for :

- Pulling a trailer with a few Dirt bikes, Quads, or perhaps camping equipment.
- Scouting Logging roads, and generally taking in the awesomeness that is Vancouver Island (Mostly from logging roads)
- Hunting / Logging / Car Camping
- Minor Wheeling, I would say.. climbing logs that have crossed the logging roads, crossing some ditches, and adventuring up some very very old logging roads / paths / goat trails.

This is not a Daily Driver, Its a toy / Toy hauler. For me, and my family to enjoy. Im not competing with anyone, Im in a race. But I DO want a capable machine for some fun and excitement, and that looks like fun too.

I am currently chasing down some demons ( Faulty switches, weak actuators for electric locks / windows, lights making decisions of their own. ) Need a front Grill, and re-mount or eliminate the stock roof rack.

Doing some upgrades ( 160amp Alt., Onboard Air, Roof Rack / Water Storage, Paint Repair / Bed Liner the whole thing)

Upgrades Im looking into :

- D30 Chromoly Shafts
- D30 Sleeves / C Gussets
- SYE (Hack n Tap)
- Super 35 Kit
- Cooling system upgrade (Better Rad, Electric fans, High flow water pump and Open System conversion)
- Head Lights / ALL Bulbs to LED
- Radio... there is NO MUSIC in my XJ, and the speakers are all rotted out
- Analogue Gauges (Oil pressure / Temp, Coolant Temp)
You didn't say what size tires you want but I would skip the Super 35 kit and just get an 8.25 out of a junkyard, they can be had for $200 or less and will be stronger than a Dana super 35 wich will cost you $1000 plus gears. For the cooling system I would keep the factory clutch fan, it pulls more air than any electric fan will, but you can upgrade the electric fan to a newer style that has more blades and put it on a switch if you want to. If it's an auto a bigger trans cooler is also a good idea.
Old 07-19-2018, 11:25 AM

I plan to run 33" tires, I should be able to find an 8.25 around here for sure. Its a great option, and since Im on a budget.. probably the best solution.

My Xj has no electric fan, JUST the clutch fan.... So thats an issue all together. It is an Auto, and has a brand new Rad in it with trans cooler built in.

there is also an oil cooler in there as well.
Old 07-19-2018, 11:31 AM
CF Veteran

I plan to run 33" tires, I should be able to find an 8.25 around here for sure. Its a great option, and since Im on a budget.. probably the best solution.

My Xj has no electric fan, JUST the clutch fan.... So thats an issue all together. It is an Auto, and has a brand new Rad in it with trans cooler built in.

there is also an oil cooler in there as well.
is it a 4cly or the 4.0 l6? Does it have a place where the electric fan should be or is it set up for a clutch fan only? Since it is an auto it would be a good idea to add an auxillary trans cooler in addition to the one in the radiator, I have 31s and with the cooler in the radiator and optional factory cooler the trans temp would still get up to 220* on a short drive when it's hot out, I have a bigger cooler to go on it.

Last edited by 00t444e; 07-19-2018 at 11:40 AM.
Old 07-19-2018, 01:54 PM

Its a 4.0l, I will look into an Aux. trans cooler.. does it piggy back on the factory one?

I dont think there ever was an electric fan, as all the original shrouds are still in the XJ.
Old 07-19-2018, 06:29 PM
CF Veteran

Its a 4.0l, I will look into an Aux. trans cooler.. does it piggy back on the factory one?
You hook it up inline after the radiator cooler, the easiest way to do it is cut the factory return line and use two barbed fittings and run it though the aftermarket cooler.
I
dont think there ever was an electric fan, as all the original shrouds are still in the XJ.
So it just has a big mechanical fan in the middle with a shroud correct? Thats odd I thought all the 4.0s came with a mechanical and electric fan setup, probably the best thing to do would be to convert it to the newer style system that has a mechanical fan on the passenger side and an electric one on the driver side. Do you have any pictures of the engine bay and what the fan and shroud looks like?
Old 07-19-2018, 11:07 PM

it has just the mechanical fan, on the passenger side. its very strange, as my previous XJ had both too.
Old 07-20-2018, 02:42 AM

Engine: 4.0 Renix

Originally Posted by 00t444e
So it just has a big mechanical fan in the middle with a shroud correct? Thats odd I thought all the 4.0s came with a mechanical and electric fan setup, probably the best thing to do would be to convert it to the newer style system that has a mechanical fan on the passenger side and an electric one on the driver side. Do you have any pictures of the engine bay and what the fan and shroud looks like?
Without A/C and not selecting certain other options groups you would get only a mechanical fan. It's the same mechanical fan as you would get either way, offset to the passenger side. The mounting provisions and part of the wiring are likely in place to add the AUX fan.

Edit, 95% of Renix era Jeeps do not have a working AUX fan anyways, even if one is installed, due to the way they're wired.
Old 07-21-2018, 09:37 PM
CF Veteran

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts
Year: 96 & 88 4 dr Cherokees

Originally Posted by 2drx4
Without A/C and not selecting certain other options groups you would get only a mechanical fan. It's the same mechanical fan as you would get either way, offset to the passenger side. The mounting provisions and part of the wiring are likely in place to add the AUX fan.

Edit, 95% of Renix era Jeeps do not have a working AUX fan anyways, even if one is installed, due to the way they're wired.

MY 88 works.........must've got lucky
Old 07-24-2018, 06:37 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: Straight 6 4.0

May I suggest truck-lite headlights. They are kind of pricy but well worth it. Adjust them perfectly and you don’t even need auxiliary lights. Ex) lightbar, pod lights, etc.