Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

XJ newb+c8.25+Lock Rite+Grinding noise=clueless

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2012, 12:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default XJ newb+c8.25+Lock Rite+Grinding noise=clueless

So I'm new to the XJ and I'm learning as I go. I just bought a '99 with some simple mods which I posted in the indtroduction section and according to the PO he had Lock Rites installed front and rear. Although the fronts click annoyingly I've come to find out through this Forum that this is normal when the wheels turn at different speeds.

Now the rear Diff is my question. When I put the car in drive and take my foot of the brake and it starts moving, I can noticably hear some kind of grinding noise or perhaps a noise that is causing friction between to metal surfaces. It's coming from the rear end somewhere, but I'm not sure if the Lockers are doing this or maybe worn out bearings. I don't think it can be the ring and pinion but I'm not sure.

The XJ also has longer than stock shackles, but I'm not sure what size or the brand. The front end has what looks like 2" Teraflex spring spacers. So the Jeep is not at stock height, but I don't think it's high enough to have an impact on pinion angles..not sure though. Any help or advice would be appreciated.