Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

XJ Drag Link and Tie Rod Thread Pitch/Size?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2013, 10:30 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default XJ Drag Link and Tie Rod Thread Pitch/Size?

Hey guys, been doing a lot of research and cannot figure out what thread size and pitch the stock drag link and tie rod.

Here is what I'm trying to do. I picked up a used pair of high steer knuckles made by rocky road, and they have been drilled til fit 5/8 heim joints, so I want to reuse my stock drag link and HD tie rod and just thread in some 5/8 heim joints and misalignment spacers where the drag link meets the knuckle, and on the driverside of the tie rod where it meets the knuckle.

Eventually I'll make my own drag link, but I'm pressed for time as I'm only a week away from a wheeling trip. Any help is appreciated, I need to get these joints ordered quick!

-Kyle
Old 04-13-2013, 10:48 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

sometimes my fingers start hammering on the keyboard long before my mind has a chance to catch up.

Last edited by hankthetank; 04-13-2013 at 11:52 PM. Reason: rtfq
Old 04-13-2013, 12:22 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by hankthetank
if the knuckles you bought are set up for heims, that probably means they might not have a taper. which means putting a taper (your drag link or tie rod tre) in there is a bad idea. to figure out thread pitch, (xj tre's are probably 1/2-20) go to your local tool house and pick up a set of thread pitch gauges and a cheap digital caliper (6"). with the caliper you can measure both sides of the steering arm hole on the knuckle and determine whether it is tapered or not. the hole on one side of it will be a little larger than the other. then to figure out what taper you have (if there is any), subtract the small end diameter from the large end you measured, divide that by the length of the taper (thickness of steering arm), then multiply that by 12. most tie rod tapers are 1.5 or 2 inches per foot. good luck.
I'm pretty sure he's aware that it doesn't have a taper since he wants to go with heims.

Originally Posted by buddyantunez1
Hey guys, been doing a lot of research and cannot figure out what thread size and pitch the stock drag link and tie rod.

Here is what I'm trying to do. I picked up a used pair of high steer knuckles made by rocky road, and they have been drilled til fit 5/8 heim joints, so I want to reuse my stock drag link and HD tie rod and just thread in some 5/8 heim joints and misalignment spacers where the drag link meets the knuckle, and on the driverside of the tie rod where it meets the knuckle.

Eventually I'll make my own drag link, but I'm pressed for time as I'm only a week away from a wheeling trip. Any help is appreciated, I need to get these joints ordered quick!

-Kyle
This certainly isn't the way it needs to be done but...

The thread size should be 11/16-18.

I think the main problem you're going to run into is finding a heim with that long of a shank.

I'd wait until you had the time the build custom steering or just go ahead and order heim steering.