Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Xj build/motor swap. 3.8l ax15

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2018, 07:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Xj build/motor swap. 3.8l ax15

Ive been reading, learning, and changing my mind for close to a year now. I have a 99 xj classic with 4" of lift up front and none in rear(runnin 31s) idk why thats how it was set up when i bought it (had 34x9.50 super swampers on it) the reason it stays is i havnt sprung for sye yet. Rihht now i drive it daily but its actually my trail, or fun rig. I have collected plenty of odds n ends to biuld it up, a couple spring packs, 4.11 lsd 8.8 with discs outta explorer though i might sell it and get one with 3.73 gears so can install it right away instead (trying to score a volvo locking diff b4 i go 4.11 up front). Ill be building this peice by peice (sye, frame stiffeners from front to rear, 2x6 rock sliders, exo cage). The 4.0 aw4 works now. Eventually i want 6" long arm with 33/35s. I want it all, more power, and better mpg. Ive looked into little deisels (mercedes, vw, isuzu) but they get spendy fast. I was pretty set on a 5.3, plenty of power better mpg. But seems most run into problems keeping it cool and the 4l60e's are junk. I looked into biulding a 4.6 stroker. If done yourself by gathering parts its not terribly expensive. I was looking into mounting a m90 on the jeep 4.0 (ive got 5 lol, i scrap vehicles for a living and gather lots of parts for projects this way) when i stumbled onto the fact that you can get a dodge dakota bell housing for ax15 that bolts right to the fwd 3.8l ive got a 2001 gtp with 112k in my backyard right now waiting to be striped and scrapped. Ive read alot of threads about this swap. When it comes to mounting, is there any chance i can just buy motor mounts for a mid 80s xj with 2.8 and mount it that way? Id like to keep the trans/tc in stock location so custom driveshafts wont be needed. The other problem is throttle body location, ive seen 1 wrangler with this swap done but the pics dont show in detail how he cleared the firewall. Im thinkin i might need to fab up a tube that bolts to back of sc, then bolt tb to tube pointing to front, i just worry about airflow. Has anyone here done this swap in a xj? Howed they solve the sc problem and what did they do for motor mounts? Sorry for the book lol i tried to keep it short