Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

the WTF track bar fix...you wont believe this

Old 07-10-2011, 07:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default the WTF track bar fix...you wont believe this

True believers, I installed a 2" (go easy on me) lift on my 97 XJ when the little Seargent Major took it on a road run to California (about 1500-ish miles). While there she called on the road telling me that she was gradually getting a ton of shake in the front end around 50-55 mph. That to me was a nightmare situation when you old lady was out 1500 miles away with a truck that had just had a lift put on it.
When she finally made it back I installed a new steering stab ($35) on it and still had the wobble. Last weekend I installed a new track bar (alignment place was run by retarded monkeys), no dice, still had a shake.

A few hours ago or two months later, I decided to check the mounting points of everything and not so much the equipment. I noticed the front hole was wollered out a little and the old infantry thinking started kicking in. I got a "holy hell its thick" washer that was a 10mm (13/32") and put the whole shooting match together. Once I assembled it i made the washer permanent by welding it in, took it out on the road and was blasting 65+mph without even a twitch. I realized the cause of the problem which was the stab went out and the problem just escalated. The little boss saw the plus side to everything, we have necessary parts for the 3" lift! Not sure if this will help anyone but I wish I would have thought of it sooner...
Old 07-10-2011, 10:13 PM

Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0

The 'weld a washer onto it' trick is actually fairly common, and a 'good' fix for DW and that commonly wallowed out hole.

It's either that or weld a plate and drill, fill it in with weld and drill, or re-drill in a different location and adjust the trackbar to match.

Your choice is effective and the easiest to accomplish.

Make sure you locktite your fasteners then torque to proper specs and this should not happen again.
Old 07-10-2011, 11:57 PM

Year: 1994
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 1997 4.0 I6

fORGIVE MY SLOWNESS ON THE UPTAKE,I AM NOT FAMILIAR WITH THE THE WHOLE GI SLANG GAME, SEMI SPECIAL ED, PICTURES PLEASE, BIG COLORFUL PICTURES FOR THE SLOW ONES PLEASE!!!!!