Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WJ knuckle XJ swap

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2014, 11:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1987/1989
Model: Cherokee
Engine: Straight 6 4.0l
Default WJ knuckle XJ swap

I got some questions for the WJ knuckle swap. I have access to some WJ knuckles and center link but Idk if I want to invest in them just yet. The main reason I would want to do the WJ swap is to beef up my steering system. Now my questions that I can't find an answer for

Can I just use hub assembly's for my 87 XJ in the WJ knuckles? Looks like it would fit right in and the 3 bolt pattern seems to be the same. I would want to do this so that I don't have to use a spacer/adapter to get the wheel bolt pattern back to 5x4.5 and I don't want to push out my tires any more than they are as much as possible.

And if the XJ hubs works in the WJ knuckles, what is the minimum rim size? I kind of want to keep my 15x10's.

Any other insight that can help me make a decision would be great. I also don't know how much to offer him for the knuckles and center link haha. He told me to make him an offer.
Old 01-07-2014, 12:53 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by 87p89lCherokee
I got some questions for the WJ knuckle swap. I have access to some WJ knuckles and center link but Idk if I want to invest in them just yet. The main reason I would want to do the WJ swap is to beef up my steering system. Now my questions that I can't find an answer for

Can I just use hub assembly's for my 87 XJ in the WJ knuckles? Looks like it would fit right in and the 3 bolt pattern seems to be the same. I would want to do this so that I don't have to use a spacer/adapter to get the wheel bolt pattern back to 5x4.5 and I don't want to push out my tires any more than they are as much as possible.

And if the XJ hubs works in the WJ knuckles, what is the minimum rim size? I kind of want to keep my 15x10's.

Any other insight that can help me make a decision would be great. I also don't know how much to offer him for the knuckles and center link haha. He told me to make him an offer.
the hub bolts hub just fine but you need a 1/4'' hub spacer so the axle shaft sits right. these need to be welded to the knuckle. you'll have to fab up your own steering tho. DOM and heims seem to be the popular choice.

your wheels should be just fine as long as they've got a 3.75 backspace and the tie rod goes OTK

as far as the knuckles.. get the knuckles, calipers and rotor(if theyre in good shape)

its a bit of work but worth it in my opinions since you get better steering and better brakes. match thet up with a dodge durang master cylinder and youll be stoping like a champ
Old 01-07-2014, 01:53 AM

Originally Posted by cleenrob
the hub bolts hub just fine but you need a 1/4'' hub spacer so the axle shaft sits right. these need to be welded to the knuckle. you'll have to fab up your own steering tho. DOM and heims seem to be the popular choice.

your wheels should be just fine as long as they've got a 3.75 backspace and the tie rod goes OTK

as far as the knuckles.. get the knuckles, calipers and rotor(if theyre in good shape)

its a bit of work but worth it in my opinions since you get better steering and better brakes. match thet up with a dodge durang master cylinder and youll be stoping like a champ
Thanks! Do you know if im gonna need to have to use spacers anyway to fit my 15" rims? Because if I can't fit my 15s to fit over the caliper, i might just use a WJ hub and run the adapter/spacer and just deal with the extra width. Just thinking of the legal annoyance since the bushwacker style flares still dont fully cover my tires. A few people here on Maui have been running garden edging to cover their tires but i dont wanna do that
Old 01-07-2014, 02:19 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Something to read http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1052019 http://www.xjsocal.com/showthread.ph...ng-on-a-D30-XJ
Old 01-07-2014, 07:56 AM

Here's a good video on the WJ swap from Martinbuilt (he has an update to this video that shows how he had to do an additional clearance mod):
Old 01-07-2014, 05:44 PM

Thanks for the links and video! Got some good info from them and I think Im gonna look to do this WJ upgrade
Old 01-07-2014, 05:50 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1994
Engine: Inline 6 4.0L High Output

I've got everything you need other than steering and track bar pieces for same in the axle section.
Old 01-22-2014, 03:54 AM

Originally Posted by 94XjSport94
I've got everything you need other than steering and track bar pieces for same in the axle section.
Sorry, didn't know what you meant seeing as I JUST discovered the For Sale section of CF. I have some coming in though, thanks anyway!
Old 02-12-2014, 01:49 AM

Anyone know if I still have to relocate the passenger sway bar mount if I dont do the OTK and just keep it UTK for now? And also what would be the cons to not welding the JKS spacer to the knuckle and just torquing down the bolts? Might not be able to find someone who is willing to weld cast iron.
Old 02-12-2014, 11:30 AM

The WJ knuckles are not cast iron. They are cast steel.
Old 02-12-2014, 03:21 PM

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by RubberSideUp
The WJ knuckles are not cast iron. They are cast steel.
hm I've read that they're iron too
Old 02-12-2014, 03:23 PM
CF Veteran

Received 42 Likes on 31 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by 87p89lCherokee
What would be the cons to not welding the JKS spacer to the knuckle and just torquing down the bolts?
I am also curious. BTW, if you use the spacer, can you use your existing hub bearing or do you still need the 99.5 & up bearing?
Old 02-12-2014, 04:05 PM

The people saying they are cast iron are mistaken. The sway bar mounts are easy as cake to cut off and move. Rusty's, Teraflex, and JKS all have the sway bar mounts you'll need. You don't have to weld the spacer on either. Many people use the bolt on method without issue. If you prefer the bolt on method, use grade 8 nuts to hold them on. I have two Jeeps with the WJ knuckle swap. Did weld one kit on and the other is held on with nuts. Tig'd on the spacer for the first swap and the second time just bolted them on after talking to several people who just bolted the spacers on. I use Milemarker manual locking hub kit on one and Warn manual locking hub kit on the other. Just had to machine and drill (for 5x4.5 bolt pattern) the rotors per the MM kit instructions. Used a drill press and wheel spacer as a guide to drill the 5x4.5 pattern on the rotors perfectly. Definitely get the Akebono calipers. Huge difference in braking performance over the Teves junk.
Old 02-12-2014, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by exjay1027
hm I've read that they're iron too
When you strip the knuckles, you see it's clearly steel (steel gray color) and when you weld on them, the spark test proves they are cast steel.
Old 02-12-2014, 05:24 PM

Thanks for the info and insights! Im also wondering about the hubs since my XJ is an 87. Might have to pull an 87 and a 99 hub off the shelf at work to compare.

Quick Reply: WJ knuckle XJ swap