Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

wiring amp

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2012, 05:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default wiring amp

Hey everyone, how did you wire your amp to the rear of your jeep? I can't find anyway to bring the wire from the back of the head unit past the dash without making it look like crap.
Old 04-25-2012, 06:01 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1988
Engine: 4.0

Same way the wires all ready ran down the pass side rocker
Old 04-25-2012, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by Rustydog555
Same way the wires all ready ran down the pass side rocker
Yeah but how do I get the amp wire's past where the headunit is? I can't find a way.
Old 04-25-2012, 06:39 PM
Banned

Year: 91

Originally Posted by 125temple

Yeah but how do I get the amp wire's past where the headunit is? I can't find a way.
I run mine down around the cigar lighter
Old 04-26-2012, 12:30 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L I6

Run it down behind the headunit next to the vent and it will pop out under the dash. Run it under there and then under the panels all the way back.
Old 04-26-2012, 03:13 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 99

Pop the trim off around stereo yet? Super easy. If you wanna do it right- don't run RCA's and remote wire (or as you call them, amp wires) along with the battery cable. You will get feedback. Use a screwdriver and loosen some lower kick panels to run the RCA's and remote wire under them so the wires are tucked away. Or run em under your armrest/center console and then under the carpet right to the backseat.. If you need pics or something I got em.
Old 04-26-2012, 04:36 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1999

Under the carpet.
Old 04-26-2012, 05:58 PM

Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0L I6

Originally Posted by VTJeep
Pop the trim off around stereo yet? Super easy. If you wanna do it right- don't run RCA's and remote wire (or as you call them, amp wires) along with the battery cable. You will get feedback. Use a screwdriver and loosen some lower kick panels to run the RCA's and remote wire under them so the wires are tucked away. Or run em under your armrest/center console and then under the carpet right to the backseat.. If you need pics or something I got em.
X2 on this ^^ I ran my power cable on the passenger side (there were no wires there, so the 4 gauge cable fit well, and my RCA's and remote wire on the drivers side. Although there are wires there, none of them have enough juice running through them to interfere with sound quality, and I got some shielded RCA's as well, just for double assurance. This way was the easiest, cleanest, and most length effective way to run the wires overall, I found.
Good luck!
Old 04-26-2012, 08:10 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0 high output

x2, take sometime and go to Crutchfield.com and learn about what your installing first, it will make a world of difference in the sound quality, trust me i have done over 100 installs in numerous types of vehicles
Old 04-27-2012, 08:00 PM

Pic's would be great!

I'm having trouble finding a way to go through the firewall.
Old 04-27-2012, 08:38 PM

Should run RCA's on one side of truck and power wires on opposite will help prevent feed back thru speakers powered by amp
Old 04-27-2012, 08:52 PM

Year: 2001

Read up on crutchfield/the12volt about the basics if you are unfamiliar. Run your Power wire on the opposite side of the vehicle from your RCA's. As said to reduce/prevent any type of unwanted noises from making their way to your system.

On my XJ I ran the power wire (0 guage) down through the engine bay on the passenger side...through a hole to the wheel well. Then down behind the plastic wheel well liner. I believe I drilled a hole in the floor or existing plastic plug ( cant remember). From there your set to run underneath the plastic panels. Im sure there are better ways to run wire but this is what I chose at the time.

Remember to use grommets/wire loom on anything the wire may rub on to prevent any type of short out. Also your ground wire should be no smaller then your power wire && as short as possible. ie. 2-3ft.
Old 04-27-2012, 08:55 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1988

Originally Posted by 125temple

Pic's would be great!

I'm having trouble finding a way to go through the firewall.
Drill bit, punch, blow torch, plasma cuter you are not going to find a way you have to make a way especially if you are using big cable
Old 04-27-2012, 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by Rustydog555
Drill bit, punch, blow torch, plasma cuter you are not going to find a way you have to make a way especially if you are using big cable
Well yeah, but where?
Old 04-27-2012, 09:19 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0L Renix Freshly Rebuilt!!

Through grommet in firewall then under carpet, then under floor panels, and finally out side panel in cargo area.

Quick Reply: wiring amp