Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

winch?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2015, 06:12 AM
z28

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default winch?

First thanks for all the help I get from this forum. What mfg winch is everyone using? I'm looking at 8000 or 10000 lb to go on my 1999 Cherokee.
Old 02-23-2015, 06:37 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0 I-6

I have both an 8,000 lbs Mile Marker and an 11,000 lbs Q-11000 from Quadratec. When I bought each, I got them on sale for a good price. I use them quite a bit and have no complaints. You'll get a lot of different answers. I got what I have because I can't afford a Warn or other big brand name. There was a very good comparison/review here a while back in one of the big 4WD mags. I'm sure someone will post a link.
Old 02-23-2015, 07:27 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

With the Warn winches you pay quite a bit just for the name alone. I shopped for several months comparing all the different offerings along with the specs of each and reviews. Plus how long they had been in the winch business, where made and (warranty these can be very confusing).

I ended up buying a Superwinch Talon 9.5 it was worked flawlessly for me and has been submerged so many times I can't count, it's waterproof most all are not. It also had a full 2 yr. warranty twice as much as any other name brand offered.

I considered a Quadratec for a while but the Talon just won out in the end.
Old 02-23-2015, 07:34 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2001

I just bought a smittybuilt 10k x2o from my local 4wheelparts for an extra $50 they warranty it, you break it they'll replace it including the rope for 3 years.
Old 02-23-2015, 09:21 AM

Year: 1991

In my Jeep club we have a couple of Warns, Engos, Smittybilts, and a Superwinch. All have been good. Had a minor solenoid issue with one of the Smittys buy they warrantied it. I have been inpresssed with the Engos (that's what I have) and the Superwinch.
Old 02-23-2015, 09:54 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1994

I've got an Engo 9k synthetic and love it. There are only like 2 US brand winches...warn and ramsey I believe...anyway, out of the chinese winches, Engo is one of the top ones...lifetime warranty on the winch, 1 year on electronics.
Old 02-23-2015, 10:15 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Engine: Golen 4.6 Stroker, AFE Headers, 62mm TB, 24 LB Injectors, Brown Dog kit, HF Cat, 3" Exhaust

Another vote for the Engo. I have the E9000s. It has been great for me. I use it alot more then most (I live on top of a mountain.. About 7000 feet) pulling people back onto the road. I've pulled everything from heavy vehicles like suburban to cars. Last year, one of my elderly neighbors and her husband decided to go for a walk during a blizzard (from CA). Wife passed out, husband came back looking for help as he couldn't carry her. The Engo drug my XJ through about 4' of snow for about 5 miles to her and back. Got her warm and back to a road where her husband took her to the hospital in their FJ. When I do get stuck, It has no problem dragging the XJ. I also think that Engo has the best warranty. (Lifetime mechanical, 1 year electrical). There is a vendor on here that has them on blowout sale once in a while. (A.O.R.) I got two (one steel for grandfather, one synthetic for me) for ~500$ shipped. I think they are more now but still a great value.

I had a Runva winch as well as a Ramsey in the past. The Runva (Australian made) did great for about 5 years and it died. It was used heavily and abused. Sold the Jeep with the Ramsey on it before it went. The NEW smitybuilts(waterproof ones) seem like a great winch. The old ones were not. Here is an interesting read for ya- Notice how they gave it to the warn even though it clearly failed. http://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/12...inch-shootout/

Last edited by Ianf406; 02-23-2015 at 10:29 AM.
Old 02-23-2015, 11:42 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: '95
Engine: 4.0 HO

I currently have a Ramsey 8k, a Quadratec 10k, and a Warn 8K. The Ramsey and the Warn are both over 20 years old, and they're both on rigs that get wheeled (Ramsey on the XJ, and the Warn on a 'burb.) the Warn gave up the ghost this past year, and the Ramsey is still going strong. We've definitely gotten our money's worth out of both of them, so no complaints there. I just bought the Quadratec this past Christmas for the tow rig, and it seems like a very solid unit.

My dad owns a towing company, so I've dealt with industrial winches for a long time. Most of them have been Ramsey's, and no major failures there. Just some frayed cable every now and then.

Btw, all of these have ran steel cable. Synthetic seems cool for the weight savings and safety factor, but I guess I'm just old school lol.
Old 02-23-2015, 12:02 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Engine: 4.0 HO

Another vote for Warn. My MX6085 was made in the 80s and was passed down to me and I use it almost every week. I actually just pulled a lifted expedition on 37s uphill through a few feet of snow when his 10k superwinch couldnt. And the guy was amazed at how fast the Warn was compared to his, said it had to be twice as fast.

That being said, I dont have the kind of money to throw out on a new Warn winch. If I had to buy a new one, I would probably get one from harbor freight and call it a day
Old 02-23-2015, 05:29 PM

Smittybilt x20 for the price it is a nice winch.
Old 02-23-2015, 06:59 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 98
Engine: 6 cyl.

ive had 3 different warn models over the last 20 yrs , never had problem w/ any of them. they just got sold w/ the jeeps they were on. i now have a superwinch, works just as well, but less money. will it last as long as a warn ? dont know. probably will since my level of past hard core wheeling has notched down since back in the days of my youth.
Old 02-23-2015, 07:55 PM

Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee(XJ)

I've got 4+ years on a RunVa winch. Yup, it's made in China, but I've beat the crap out of it and it still pulls. I think it's actually wiped out a "starter" battery on my XJ so I'm going to go with dual batteries in a deep cycle flavour.

I'm possibly going to mount the Runva on my trailer since it only has the 50' short barrel on it, then am seriously considering another or possibly an Engo.

I'm frugal and can't muster the dough to spend on a red W that is probably a better winch in the long run, but instead I'll treat the winch as disposable and roll the dice. So far I'm way ahead of the house.
Old 02-23-2015, 08:19 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

I bought a Smittybilt XRC 9.5 with synthetic line for $449
I really like it! I have it mounted in a JCR front winch bumper
Old 02-23-2015, 10:47 PM
z28

Default winch

Thanks for the info guys.
Old 02-24-2015, 03:08 PM
Former Sponsor

There is a reason you pay for the Warn name. Is it over priced? Maybe. I personally have a hard time getting into a $1,000 + winch but I love my M-8,000. I've worked as a trail guide quite a bit and have pulled a lot of cable for people with many different winches. Warns just work better, faster and harder.

One example: A 12k lb off brand (can't remember what it was for sure so I won't name names) on a full size bronco stuck in the mud over the axles. His winch would just die when he hit the button. We hooked a CJ-5 with an M-8000 to him and pulled him out no problem. Of course we had to hook the CJ to a tree too but the winch did it's job.

Check out the pull rating and speed as well as the amp draw but make sure it's apples to apples. Some of the cheep ones advertise they are faster but they don't tell you that it is under no load. When you add the weight of the vehicle snails will laugh at you as they go by.

FWIW I'm not biased because we sell Warn. We sell Warn because of the experience. Ramsey and Superwinch seem pretty decent too if you go above the lower priced ones.

The jury is still out with me on steel vs. synthetic. I love that it's lighter but I haven't used it enough to say it's better.

They only cost too much until you're sitting on a rock pile with no where to go and your winch won't work. A VR8000 is only $499.

Just my 2 pennies.

Quick Reply: winch?