Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

wheelbase difference

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2015, 09:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 87
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default wheelbase difference

Guys,

reading and searching threads and have picked up hints that wheelbase from factory is different side to side. So, this is driving me nuts! Ok so maybe it is a JEEP thing, but I have measured about everything I can and it all seems ok except, hub to hub, I'm 3/4 " longer on the driver side! What is really bizarre is that it is my driver side front that is doing minor rubbing on inside front driver well .. rear well.

Running 31's w/o any problem on a Skyjacker 4 inch lift.

So where is this wheelbase difference coming from and is it something I need to track (no pun intended) down or worry about? Every other measure off of body mounts etc are the same down to a 1/8 inch.

Could be my daughter hit a 'bush' (3 inch dent in the stock bumper) when she first learned to drive ... possible body distortion?
Old 06-28-2015, 09:08 PM
Moderator CF K9-unit

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 2000 sport
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: New 4.0l from s&j engines

Originally Posted by okee87
Guys,

reading and searching threads and have picked up hints that wheelbase from factory is different side to side. So, this is driving me nuts! Ok so maybe it is a JEEP thing, but I have measured about everything I can and it all seems ok except, hub to hub, I'm 3/4 " longer on the driver side! What is really bizarre is that it is my driver side front that is doing minor rubbing on inside front driver well .. rear well.

Running 31's w/o any problem on a Skyjacker 4 inch lift.

So where is this wheelbase difference coming from and is it something I need to track (no pun intended) down or worry about? Every other measure off of body mounts etc are the same down to a 1/8 inch.

Could be my daughter hit a 'bush' (3 inch dent in the stock bumper) when she first learned to drive ... possible body distortion?
Do you still have the stock track bar?
Old 06-28-2015, 09:18 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Bet you got a lot of slop in your bushings.
Old 06-29-2015, 05:41 AM

Rubicon Express Adj track bar installed when I lifted as well as all new bushings. May also have impact, but also long arm extension on Front Lower. But all of the measurements show equal distances other than ~ 3/8 - 1/2 cumulative body gap .... almost like the unibody on driver side is stretched or passenger side crunched. Alignment is within 1/8" as well?

So based on comments, maybe try adjusting track bar?
Old 06-29-2015, 06:15 PM
Moderator CF K9-unit

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 2000 sport
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: New 4.0l from s&j engines

Originally Posted by okee87
Rubicon Express Adj track bar installed when I lifted as well as all new bushings. May also have impact, but also long arm extension on Front Lower. But all of the measurements show equal distances other than ~ 3/8 - 1/2 cumulative body gap .... almost like the unibody on driver side is stretched or passenger side crunched. Alignment is within 1/8" as well?

So based on comments, maybe try adjusting track bar?
I would adjust it..A short T/B or improper adjustment usually pulls axle to the drivers side on a lifted Cherokee. But if I'm wrong someone will chime in,, lol
Old 07-08-2015, 02:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0

If your over all wheel base is off on one side I don't see how your adjusting your track bar will help. The track bar only accounts for lateral movement. If I'm understanding you correctly it sounds like you may need to lengthen your control arms a touch on one side.
Old 07-08-2015, 05:08 AM

Originally Posted by Bluemax
If your over all wheel base is off on one side I don't see how your adjusting your track bar will help. The track bar only accounts for lateral movement. If I'm understanding you correctly it sounds like you may need to lengthen your control arms a touch on one side.
Well... looks like it was the LCAs. Thanks to all ho provided some thoughts.

I upgraded to using some WJ stock LCAs ... needed a bit work to fit them, but once installed all seems to line up much closer and the ride is significantly improved .... after all almost 30 yr old bushings.

One question .... I tightened down the LCA bolts really, really tight .... can you OVER torque those bolts and thereby bind the LCA in the brackets?

THANKS!
Old 07-08-2015, 05:16 AM
Banned

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 1992

I'm pretty sure you can't. If you do, you'll have the whole weight of the suspension on those bolts so I'm sure they'll still move
Old 07-08-2015, 05:41 AM

Originally Posted by 93_xjcherokee
I'm pretty sure you can't. If you do, you'll have the whole weight of the suspension on those bolts so I'm sure they'll still move
That's what I figured .. I tightened while under full load, so ought to be about right.

Although she does groan, creak, and moan a bit more now ... the jeep that is
Old 07-08-2015, 06:02 AM
Banned

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 1992

That could be because of new bushings. New bushings squeek sometimes