Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wheel spacer makes death wobble go away?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2013, 07:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Wheel spacer makes death wobble go away?

I just put wheel spacers on my jeep and I love the way it looks, but now I don't have death wobble anymore..............any input on why it's like this
Old 11-10-2013, 09:13 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0

If your "death wobble" went away by spacing the wheels out I would stab a pretty good guess your ball joints are shot. You basically spread out your weight distributed on the front axle. This change was likely enough to change how the pressure on your ball joints was compared to when you didn't have the spacers. Get new ball joints and check your track bar as well. The spacer didn't fix anything at all, in fact they will make the problem worse. It's a leverage thing.
Old 11-10-2013, 11:20 PM

Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by Black89
If your "death wobble" went away by spacing the wheels out I would stab a pretty good guess your ball joints are shot. You basically spread out your weight distributed on the front axle. This change was likely enough to change how the pressure on your ball joints was compared to when you didn't have the spacers. Get new ball joints and check your track bar as well. The spacer didn't fix anything at all, in fact they will make the problem worse. It's a leverage thing.
I'm with this guy!
Old 11-10-2013, 11:36 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bds1304
I just put wheel spacers on my jeep and I love the way it looks, but now I don't have death wobble anymore..............any input on why it's like this
Take the wheel spacers back off. Its not a jeep without death wobble.
Old 11-11-2013, 03:59 AM
MJ>XJ

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Comanche
Engine: 4.0 I6

could also indicate a bad hub assembly but not near as big a chance as it being bad ball joints...

why buy and install wheel spacers before spending the money to fix death wobble first anyway... lol
Old 11-11-2013, 08:39 PM

ehh wasnt tryin to fix the death wobble......didnt happen enough to really concern me......only at 49-51 mph it would happen.....i know i need to change ball joints, and i got the spacers at one hell of a deal(50 bucks) just had me wondering why it was that way...
Old 11-11-2013, 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by Black89
thanks man....ima try to get my ball joints swapped around as soon as i can, gotta save up for the rest of the stuff up front first though......need to knock it all out at the same time.....any suggestions on a good set to buy?