Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wheel size for a 3" inch lift?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2018, 09:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Max wheel/tire size for a 3" inch lift without rubbing or trimming?

Hello everyone

I apologize if this has been gone over one hundred times before... I searched through 6 or 7 other threads and everyone's case is just so specific to their configuration and preferences that I was just getting more confused.

On Monday I am putting a 3" RC lift kit (4 shocks, new coils, new arms and new leaf springs) on my 1999 XJ Classic which as of now is 100% stock.
When I get the new wheels, soon, I would like to change the stance a bit.
The #1 priority is that I want to stick with a 15" rim but I would like for the new wheel (tire) to come outward from the fenders about 1" more than the stock look.
The #2 priority is to go up 1" in tire size (height) from stock size.

However, the paramount condition is that I am absolutely NOT willing to tolerate ANY rubbing whatsoever. I am also really not keen on trimming the fenders or the bumper, so I was wondering what wheel dimension I should be looking at. Is this possible? If so what are my options?
Should I get a 15x8 with 1" less-than-stock backspacing?
Should I get a wider 15" rim with yet a different backspacing?
What's the tallest tire I can install once I am 1" further out of the fenders? 31? (I really don't want bigger than that anyway)
Again NO RUBBING.. EVER. And NO TRIMMING. If that means I have to stick with stock wheels so, be it.

My knowledge of this stuff is pretty basic and superficial and I don't wanna mess up, so I need some help from y'all
Thanks!!!

Last edited by Fangio76; 05-27-2018 at 01:51 PM. Reason: topic expanded beyond original title
Old 05-19-2018, 09:42 PM

I apologize for accidentally posting this on Stock XJ section.
I meant to post it here https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f67/al...go-here-10579/
Old 05-19-2018, 11:45 PM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Fangio76
I apologize for accidentally posting this on Stock XJ section.
I meant to post it here https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f67/al...go-here-10579/
stock backspacing is 5.5 inches... most common setup with a 3 inch lift is 3.75 inch backspace and 31s... if you offroad any, 31s may rub occasionally but otherwise you'llbe fine
Old 05-20-2018, 12:43 AM

Originally Posted by Martlor13
stock backspacing is 5.5 inches... most common setup with a 3 inch lift is 3.75 inch backspace and 31s... if you offroad any, 31s may rub occasionally but otherwise you'llbe fine

Thanks for the feedback!
Would that be 31's on a 15"x8" rim? How wide of a tire?
In light of that, do you think I would still rub with 30's and 3.75" backspacing? Can I go wider if I go 30 than I could if I went 31?
I understand the height is more of an issue than the width up front.. but I could go with 4" backspacing if that too helps with the rubbing
(I think I am running 29's on stock rims right now.. can't remember the exact measurements)

As far as off roading... The point of my lift (I know 3" ain't much) is that I do want to be able to tackle some moderately rougher terrain than I can now (stock). I take the Jeep on lots of camping adventures and there have been some unmaintained dirt trails where my XJ struggled a little, especially loaded down with all our gear. Granted, it's no rock crawling... but it's at least "moderate" off road conditions.
I basically just want the tallest/widest tire/rim combo I can fit that will ultimately stick the wheels out about 1" more than stock without rubbing anywhere in non-extreme conditions. Whether this is achieved with a wider tire or rim, or backspacing or a mix of both, it is less relevant to me. So, if 31's are too tall to be reliably problem free, I have no problem going smaller.
I am trying to understand at what point, on a 3" lift, tire width and height and wheel backspacing/offset would start causing any rubbing problem (whether on the fender, the bumper or the control arms etc)

Last edited by Fangio76; 05-20-2018 at 12:52 AM.
Old 05-20-2018, 07:30 AM
CF Veteran

Received 298 Likes on 253 Posts
Year: '96

31/10.50's on 15x8's w/3.75" b/s are what most use on XJ's w/3" lifts. But from the way you describe how'll you'll be using your XJ 31's could rub/hit. MAYBE if you bump stop enough go with 8" rims with 4"-4.25"b/s and adjust the stops on the steering knuckles to keep from hitting the lca's you'd be able to use 31's but I'm not certain. You say you want absolutely no rubbing and absolutely don't want to trim then a 30" tire would be a good idea. Thing is as Martlor tells people there's just not that much height difference between a 30/9.50 and a 235/75. There's also a lot more tire selection with the 235's. I'm running 235's on 15x7 rims with 4.75"b/s(4"b/s is fine to) on a 2" lift. I chose 7" because for me 235's on 8" rims spread the tire more than I like.
Old 05-20-2018, 02:10 PM

Thanks again! you guys are being so helpful!

While I am at, it... will my 4x4 '99 need the SYE job? I am going with the type2 RC 3" with the nicer N shocks and lower control arms, new coils and leaves too.
Even if I was to get no vibrations at highway speeds, is the SYE something I should look into getting around to have done eventually? I am a peace of mind kinda guy. If not doing it would cause more risk of my driveshaft falling off even in the absence of common symptoms, then I'll do it. I can't afford to lose the shaft in the kind of places I take the Jeep to... also it's usually just me and my gf. No "rescue vehicles" hahahaha. So just getting the Jeep pulled out of there would cost twice what a SYE job costs, on top of ruining my trip.

Last edited by Fangio76; 05-20-2018 at 02:27 PM. Reason: typo correction
Old 05-20-2018, 03:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee(XJ)

This was mine with a 3" RC lift . Wheel / tire combo was 15" with 4" back spacing and 30x9.5x15. No rubbing whatsoever , even in the most flexed positions. Have had no issue with driveline vibration . You will definitely want sway bar disconnects. Here are a few pics of mine with the above mentioned setup.

The following users liked this post:
Daniel Verone (04-21-2021)
Old 05-20-2018, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by ffeng31
This was mine with a 3" RC lift . Wheel / tire combo was 15" with 4" back spacing and 30x9.5x15. No rubbing whatsoever , even in the most flexed positions. Have had no issue with driveline vibration . You will definitely want sway bar disconnects. Here are a few pics of mine with the above mentioned setup.

I LOVE IT!!! That's EXACTLY how I want mine to look and behave!
Did you have to do other things? SYE or TC drop? Brake lines? Bump stops? Steering stops? Rear pinion seal/yoke?
Old 05-20-2018, 06:43 PM

No SYE as of yet but it is in the works as she now sits at 4 1/2 inches and I am getting some very slight driveline vibration at highway speed. It does have a Transfer case drop but I did it by using the Rusty's crossmember. The ground clearance stays the same but the transfer case drops a full inch. Brake lines are extended braided stainless from Crown. Extended front and rear bump stops (do these when you lower it , if you dont youll have to remove springs again ). Nothing done to rear end yet but I intend to do Aussie lockers front and rear and I will address any issues then. Used IRO bar pin eliminators front and rear and highly recommend them . I broke the bolts on my rear shocks and this eliminates that ever happening again. And it gives you almost an inch more of flex. You'll need flag nuts if you intend to do rear. Here s a pic of mine now. 1 1/2 inches taller and what a difference. Im sticking with the same tire wheel combo for now .

Old 05-20-2018, 07:54 PM

No SYE as of yet but it is in the works as she now sits at 4 1/2 inches and I am getting some very slight driveline vibration at highway speed. It does have a Transfer case drop but I did it by using the Rusty's crossmember. The ground clearance stays the same but the transfer case drops a full inch. Brake lines are extended braided stainless from Crown. Extended front and rear bump stops (do these when you lower it , if you dont youll have to remove springs again ). Nothing done to rear end yet but I intend to do Aussie lockers front and rear and I will address any issues then. Used IRO bar pin eliminators front and rear and highly recommend them . I broke the bolts on my rear shocks and this eliminates that ever happening again. And it gives you almost an inch more of flex. You'll need flag nuts if you intend to do rear. Here s a pic of mine now. 1 1/2 inches taller and what a difference. Im sticking with the same tire wheel combo for now .
looks great man... no need to extend the brake lines at 3" lift.. even with sway bar disconnects, correct?
Old 05-20-2018, 07:58 PM
CF Veteran

Received 298 Likes on 253 Posts
Year: '96

Looks like he did. Check out post #6 on his build thread.
https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f46/it...-pearl-241694/
Old 05-20-2018, 08:02 PM

If you intend to install sway bar disconnects I would say yes. You will see when you go to install the lift kit just how far they can get stretched . It is well worth the extra $85 to just go ahead and do them . The 3rd pic I posted shows my jeep disconnected and the line straightened out a good bit. And those are the extended lines.
Old 05-20-2018, 09:31 PM

should I get rear and front lines, if I disconnect the rear sway bar? Are there quick disconnects for that too?
Old 05-20-2018, 09:39 PM

Yes , do both. If you order your lines from Crown performance they come as a kit , 2 front and 1 rear ( and be careful when changing them out , use a line wrench or they will strip) . Unless you intend to do alot of towing with your XJ, just remove the rear sway bar all together... You'll never miss it. BTW, Have you started spraying all of your bolts with PB Blaster ? You'll want to do so before you start the lift kit install...
Old 05-20-2018, 10:53 PM

BTW, Have you started spraying all of your bolts with PB Blaster ? You'll want to do so before you start the lift kit install...
I would have, but I am not doing the lift myself. A specialized shop is gonna be doing it tomorrow (just the lift part). I guess I could have soaked them as a courtesy haha. They're charging $300 to put it on, plus alignment. Kit + labor + tax and all comes to $1.080 I think.
Unfortunately I have been struggling with a bad injury to the tendons in my left wrist since November.. It's just now starting to get better :/ Hell, I would be hesitant just to take a wheel off and on right now. Let alone all that. If I re-injure it I am pretty much screwed.

As far as the Crown brake lines, did you get the 3" over stock length or 4"? Which should I get?

Quick Reply: Wheel size for a 3" inch lift?