Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What kind of rear shocks do I need after shackle lift they are topped out!?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2011, 03:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1992
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Question What kind of rear shocks do I need after shackle lift they are topped out!?

Just bought a 92 xj with a lift already on it. I can't tell what size it is but the shocks are H7059 Skyjacker Hydro 7000 which scares me because I can't find those used for a cherokee anywhere. Someone also put some weird looking spacer/spring insulators on there too. It almost looks like a 3" Value flex with an add a leaf kit cause it only has the lower control arms, coils and what looks to be add a leafs in the rear.

The front sits up pretty high but I needed to level up the back so I did the auto zone part 13-4100 2" shackle kit (actually made for lowering chevy trucks) and when I went to put them on, the rear shocks topped out. I had to put a pipe wrench on the leafs and push them down with my foot bending them low enough to get the bolt on the new shackles in.

The jeep looks great now but I am going to need longer shocks. I can't really tell by looking what size lift I have to order new shocks. It looks bigger than 3" to me. My fenders are stock and from the top of the tire to the bottom of the fender is 7.25" in the front and 7" in the rear measuring the center point of wheel. I have almost new 31" mts.

Any idea what size lift I have and can someone recommend a fairly cheap but good set of shocks?
Thanks in advance for any help!

Old 10-30-2011, 02:00 PM

Anyone have a guess even? Sorry, I know I am a noob but I need help.
Old 10-30-2011, 03:41 PM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Since you don't the lift height you'll need to measure for both both extended and collapsed lengths.

Use the search Button (above) or Google "Measuring for correct shocks."

Almost forgot...Welcome CF!
Old 10-31-2011, 09:09 AM

My brother in law came over and took a measurement. We also took a measurement from front to back from each tire and one side is an inch shorter. Looks like I have some adjusting to do! Thanks for the help
Old 10-31-2011, 09:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 H.O. 180K miles

Look into getting Bar Pin Eliminators. I made my own using the rear swap bar bracket, didn't cost me a thing and it wasn't hard at all really. Only difficult part was welding them in place under the jeep, but you can bolt them into place also.

*edit* Also, you shouldn't put a lot of force on fully extended shocks like that. Next time disconnect the shocks at the axle mount and bolt them up again after you've lowered the truck and compressed the suspension. You should at least get a set of limiting straps until you find a good fix after this so you dont max them out on the road, which could damaged the shocks as well.

Last edited by Bossokee; 10-31-2011 at 09:34 AM.
Old 10-31-2011, 09:38 AM

Year: 1997

Cut off your old low mounted shock mounts and then weld them on mid axle.. that will recover right around 3" for your lift and give you extra clearence to boot!
Old 10-31-2011, 09:40 AM

Yeah, my brother in law thinks he may have some longer shocks for me. I am only driving it nice and easy on the road until then. He was also talking about a hockey puck mod that I was reading up on to. I am researching bar pin eliminators as well. Thanks. It's amazing all the mods and tricks you can do on these jeeps!