Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is exactly needed for this?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2014, 08:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee
Engine: I6 4.0L
Default What is exactly needed for this?

I found the "All lift and tire questions go here" thread to be too cluttered for any questions so I made a new thread.

I currently have a 3" BDS lift with new leafs, sway bars, SYE, and steering stabilizers. I just squeezed on new 33" dick cepek crushers and I'm looking now to lift higher for more tire clearance.

My question is, what would I need to get for adding an extra 2" via spacers and shackle lift? Will I need a new adjustable trackbar and T Case drop? Or am I missing something else I'll need.

Any help is appreciated. I need to get this beast ready for spring!
Old 02-20-2014, 08:36 AM
::CF Administrator::

Received 770 Likes on 524 Posts
Year: 97
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.6 stroker

Wow. A new thread on what I should do to lift my Cherokee. What a novel idea. Translation- I'm too lazy to read through any of the posts already here and want my answer now.

You want to lift more to clear tires? Have you trimmed at all? You need to do more research if you want to go that high. Much more is involved than slapping spacers and shackles if you want to go that high and do it properly. I suggest you READ.

https://www.google.com/search?q=what...w=1280&bih=651

This google search yielded 20,900 results, on cherokee forum ONLY. It was 20,899 before your post.

Sorry if that comes off as harsh, but this thread pops up literally EVERY DAY, sometimes more than once. It gets old.

Last edited by Rogue4x4; 02-20-2014 at 09:07 AM.
Old 02-20-2014, 11:18 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

You'll need a track bar, control arms, brake lines, and you should be set. Maybe longer swaybar links if yours aren't adjustable
Old 02-20-2014, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by 98cherokee531
You'll need a track bar, control arms, brake lines, and you should be set. Maybe longer swaybar links if yours aren't adjustable
....and shocks, SYE, maybe a drop pitman....you might need a lot of things....
Old 02-20-2014, 04:32 PM
Herp Derp Jerp

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L OBD-II

2" lift over stock isn't much effort... 3" is a little effort... 5" over stock things start to get expensive if you want it to work right. As in, SYE and long-arm territory.

Stick with 3" and trim the fenders. Lots of options to fit 33s at that height.
Old 02-20-2014, 04:57 PM

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0L

Bumpstops are your answer.
Old 02-21-2014, 07:24 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Trim first, that will get what you need to clear the 33's at 3" of lift here is mine at 3" with 33x12:50x15's with trimming only.

Name:  JeepafterTirecarrierbumper004_zpsfe31e62a.jpg
Views: 8
Size:  93.9 KB

I'm now increasing that by 1 3/4" using spacers and a set of greaseable Boomerang Shackles. To go that extra 1 3/4" of lift here is what I deem as necessary. Replace T/C drop with an SYE and new rear driveshaft, extended stainless brake lines, new shocks (I chose Bilstein), new track bar double shear, upper and lower adj. control arms, sway bar disconnects. I know I'm forgetting some things but have credit card bill in front of me and mama ain't pleased. Oh nothing to do with lift but had to have new gears for those 33" tires and figured might as well add Detroit Lockers front and rear at the same time.

And the beat goes on......and on!

Last edited by Fred/N0AZZ; 02-21-2014 at 07:26 AM.
Old 02-21-2014, 10:38 AM

Year: 1995
Engine: I6 4.0L

Originally Posted by Fred/N0AZZ
Trim first, that will get what you need to clear the 33's at 3" of lift here is mine at 3" with 33x12:50x15's with trimming only.

I'm now increasing that by 1 3/4" using spacers and a set of greaseable Boomerang Shackles. To go that extra 1 3/4" of lift here is what I deem as necessary. Replace T/C drop with an SYE and new rear driveshaft, extended stainless brake lines, new shocks (I chose Bilstein), new track bar double shear, upper and lower adj. control arms, sway bar disconnects. I know I'm forgetting some things but have credit card bill in front of me and mama ain't pleased. Oh nothing to do with lift but had to have new gears for those 33" tires and figured might as well add Detroit Lockers front and rear at the same time.

And the beat goes on......and on!
I'm just concerned about rubbing when I flex out... I was fine with 32"s so I'm thinking of just adding an inch and trimming more or maybe even just half an inch.. I don't have the money for all that currently lol. Thanks for the help though.
Old 02-21-2014, 10:48 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

C'mon guys, give the dude a break. I agree--that thread is a mess. It defeats the whole purpose of a forum, IMO. Or at least the intended organization of one.

Originally Posted by Hyplox
I found the "All lift and tire questions go here" thread to be too cluttered for any questions so I made a new thread.

I currently have a 3" BDS lift with new leafs, sway bars, SYE, and steering stabilizers. I just squeezed on new 33" dick cepek crushers and I'm looking now to lift higher for more tire clearance.

My question is, what would I need to get for adding an extra 2" via spacers and shackle lift? Will I need a new adjustable trackbar and T Case drop? Or am I missing something else I'll need.

Any help is appreciated. I need to get this beast ready for spring!
Since you stated you already have the SYE, you will not need a transfer case drop. You may however need degree axle shims. Also, you will need new shocks. And definitely an adjustable, preferably a double-shear style track bar and bracket. As for the pitman arm, that's something you'll have to play by ear.

Also, depending on how you wish to use your rig, you'll want to research proper bumpstops to prevent your tires from eating your fenders when flexing and what not--especially if your fenders aren't trimmed.
Old 02-21-2014, 12:08 PM

There's a ton of these posts because each situation is different, as is each vehicle. Factor in what kind of wheeling you do, what your budget is, what you have, what you need, what you want, and go for it. Sometimes you have to sift through a bunch of stuff to get there. That's just a fact of life. You have a decent base. You put on bigger tires, and they don't clear? Trim. Cheap and easy solution. Bumpstop. Cheap and easy solution. Going up to 5" requires a lot more work. If you're doing it just to clear tires, that's an awful lot of work/expense just to do it. Going from stock to 5", or 3-5", should be pretty much the same, except you're better off with some things already being done.

Last edited by Outlaw Star; 02-21-2014 at 08:52 PM.
Old 02-21-2014, 12:13 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

you wont rub if you bumpstop properly
Old 02-21-2014, 05:17 PM
::Regional Moderator::

Year: 1986
Engine: 2.8

Originally Posted by highspeed
Keep in mind that bump stops can be dangerous as well. If you bottom out on the bumpstop, you can get some unwanted results.....like teeth falling out of your head if you hit a pothole too hard; not enough body role to take turns safely; and some restricted flex

I personally would not look to bumpstops to keep you from rubbing 33" at 3" of lift, but at 5" i think its a good idea. Trimming is definitely easier.
This is a joke, right?
Old 02-21-2014, 05:19 PM
CF Veteran

Keep in mind that bump stops can be dangerous as well. If you bottom out on the bumpstop, you can get some unwanted results.....like teeth falling out of your head if you hit a pothole too hard; not enough body role to take turns safely; and some restricted flex

I personally would not look to bumpstops to keep you from rubbing 33" at 3" of lift, but at 5" i think its a good idea. Trimming is definitely easier.
Dude... Bumpstops aren't for pavement driving. There is no way it could bottom out while driving down the road or taking a turn unless your coil or leaf spring jumps ship. Lol
Old 02-21-2014, 05:52 PM
Herp Derp Jerp

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Engine: 4.0L OBD-II

Originally Posted by PocketsEmpty
Dude... Bumpstops aren't for pavement driving.
I invite you to come drive the roads where I live. The snow is melting and revealing foot-deep potholes! My ****ty RC shocks are really showing their ****tiness
Old 02-21-2014, 06:07 PM
CF Veteran

I'm bumpstopped enough to not rub at 3" of lift on 35's. I don't have sway bars either, and I've got an extra 100+ lbs hanging off the front from the winch and bumper. My bumpstops never touch unless I'm wheeling it. And it flexes great, what I lost in uptravel I more than gained back in downtravel. Its also my daily driver. Tell me again how its so unsafe?

Quick Reply: What is exactly needed for this?