Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What do you like or dislike about your lockers?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2011, 08:48 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 97
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0
Default What do you like or dislike about your lockers?

Im preparing to invest in some front lockers for my '98 XJ, its my winter daily driver and toy so I want something reliable. Ive been looking at powertrax loc-rites and aussie lockers mainly because I could install them myself but I want to know what ya'll run in your rigs. What do you like or dislike about your lockers?
Old 10-19-2011, 09:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1992
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 I6

Aussie in the rear. It clicks, but it supposed to. Does wonders off road. As for the front you'll probably like it until your in the snow. Snow and sand + front locker(4wd engaged) = tire steer. Basically your front tires are gonna fight you. That wouldn't bother me, I would do it, that being said I'd do rear first if I had to pick one or the other. 3wd ftw!
Old 10-20-2011, 07:37 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 HO

I have a loc-rite in the rear and i love it off road and in winter. But daily driving it is getting annoying due to the slop in it, some of that has to due with my ds situation too. Bought it used and its pretty worn in after pushing 35's and now 33's for i dont know how long. I cant wait for when i can afford selectable lockers.
Old 10-20-2011, 07:43 AM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0L

I have a spartan rear and love it. I Have a lockright front and like it too, I got it new 100$ when somone changed there mind and couldn't return it. no complaints but it would be nice to have a selectable up front.
Old 10-20-2011, 08:37 AM
Former Sponsor

I have an Aussie in the front. (And rear) and it works great. I must admit that its a lot more ratchety than I thouht it would be. Only on pretty tight turns though, normal driving you would never know its there for the most part.
My friend uses a lock right, and I can't hear it at all, let alone feel it, except full lock. Seems to be smoother.
Old 10-20-2011, 10:55 AM
CF Veteran

hmmm my lock right seams to be more noticable in the front then my rear spartan. but maybe thats because its in a steering axle...

Last edited by Gorillaxj; 10-20-2011 at 11:10 AM.
Old 10-20-2011, 11:07 AM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: Check

ARB

Old 10-20-2011, 11:12 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1993

Eaton E-Locker, love it.
Old 10-20-2011, 11:14 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Rock Toy
Eaton E-Locker, love it.
If I could afford a selectable I would get one of these. I have seen to many o-rings and air lines fail, I also don't like the compressor kicking on and off...
Old 10-20-2011, 11:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0L 6 CYL

I have been running the detroit true trac in the front of my xj and the wifes tj for awhile and it works great when in 4wd they steer easy with normal effort and in the sand rocks and what little snow we get here traction is good it turn when you turn the wheel. I have had lock rites and similar but they sem to like to go straight when on slippery stuff amking the road drive more challenging.
Old 10-20-2011, 11:30 AM

Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0L HO

I had an Aussie in the front of a CJ several years ago, and never liked it. It never seemed to work right for me, so I pulled it out and welded it up.

The rear of my XJ is welded now, and I like it. It chirps a bit when turning on pavement, but doesn't make any other funny noises or jerks like locked do. I'm a fan of Lincoln Lockers, spools, etc.

That's only becuase I don't have the budget for a selectable lock, which would certainly be best. I'd save for a selectabe if you don't want to weld or spool. There's my two pennies.
Old 10-20-2011, 11:35 AM

Year: 1989

Im running the aussie locker up front, its amazing, dont notice it in 2wd. and holds up on 35s on my TJ and XJ. I wouldnt recommend for in the snow on the street though, scary.. but im also "Lincoln Locked" in the rear in my dana44
Old 10-20-2011, 11:55 AM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by b. lee
I had an Aussie in the front of a CJ several years ago, and never liked it. It never seemed to work right for me, so I pulled it out and welded it up.

The rear of my XJ is welded now, and I like it. It chirps a bit when turning on pavement, but doesn't make any other funny noises or jerks like locked do. I'm a fan of Lincoln Lockers, spools, etc.

That's only becuase I don't have the budget for a selectable lock, which would certainly be best. I'd save for a selectabe if you don't want to weld or spool. There's my two pennies.

yes I welded mine and love it pretty much free and works just the same! although my xj is pretty much trail only at this point
Old 10-20-2011, 12:20 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0 H.O. K&N, Borla headers, custom down pipe, magnaflow hi-flo cat, flowmaster to turn down tip

i have a detroit locker rear and detroit tru trac up front, love them both. the rear detroit is a little noisy, and clicks around corners when not on the gas, but i like that about it. the front one works wonders in the snow, and great on tight turns. sometimes on the rocks, you have to bounce the gas a little or tap the brake to get it to "lock" but it has not failed me yet.

also you dont even notice it on the street in 2wd, quiet and great operation offroad
Old 10-20-2011, 09:44 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 97
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

It seems like a pretty even split between the Eaton (Detroit) lockers and the Aussie lockers for the front. I just checked them both out and I think the Eaton lockers look way stronger design wise. So of course my next question is 1) is it worth locking a D30 or should I wait until I find a D44 or better? and 2) is this a do it yourself install? The instructions on Eaton’s website were kinda vague. I am not a precision mechanic, I can swap parts and make stuff but anything that HAS to be accurate to .001 is not on my to do list.

Quick Reply: What do you like or dislike about your lockers?