Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What to do with the wiring...

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2012, 08:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default What to do with the wiring...

Howdy Fellas!

I am in the process of stripping my 97 Country's interior and getting ready for a cage. With it being the Country Edition, I'm sure you know that it has all the bells and whistles which means that there are small pieces of wire harness running all over the cab.

I am not going to be using any of these bells or the whistles ever again and need to figure out what I am going to do with the wiring for things such as, the overhead console, tail lights, factory amp, etc, etc...

What is the protocol for getting rid of these wires so they aren't hanging all over the place? Can I trace them back to the ECU and unplug them? Should I cut and cap them? Has anyone done this before that can give me a leg up here?
Old 11-17-2012, 09:28 AM

Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0ho

i dont think you would have a problem just cutting the ones you dont want however there are your fuel pump/ sending unit lines that run thru the cab just a reminder
Old 11-17-2012, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by iyzak the xj
i dont think you would have a problem just cutting the ones you dont want however there are your fuel pump/ sending unit lines that run thru the cab just a reminder
Right, I am planning on using and inline fuel pump with a fuel cell in the back after the new year... I am just wire phobic you know? Especially with the 97+ OBD2 stuff. Those ECUs tend to go crazy if you start deleting wires and such.

I plan on putting in some oval LEDs in the old tail light spot for brake lights only (no running lights) and using just an amber dust/safety light as a "running light"

*** this is a TRAIL RIG ONLY.
Old 11-17-2012, 10:09 AM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

Follow them back to there plugs disconnect them ang sell make some cash ...
Old 11-17-2012, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by freegdr
Follow them back to there plugs disconnect them ang sell make some cash ...
Now before I go chasing wires into the dash, are we sure that all of the interior stuff is separate from everything else? Can the overhead console harness just simply be unplugged, along with the taillight harnesses? Or am I going to be chasing wires for nothing?
Old 11-17-2012, 10:39 AM
CF Veteran

0ver heads a option harness unplugs behhind glove box tail lights behind plastic panel where spare tire mounts this is a xj correct ?
Old 11-17-2012, 10:44 AM

0ver heads a option harness unplugs behhind glove box tail lights behind plastic panel where spare tire mounts this is a xj correct ?
Yes, it's a 97 Country... Plastic panels are gone and a mini-comp cut has been done already when I did the lift... I'll look for the end of the overhead console in a minute.

What do you mean that the tail light harness unplugs where the spare mounts? I am looking to get rid of the whole harness in the cab if I can... Here are a few pics of what I am staining here looking at. (sorry it do dirty! Haha)
Old 11-17-2012, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by TN12valve

Yes, it's a 97 Country... Plastic panels are gone and a mini-comp cut has been done already when I did the lift... I'll look for the end of the overhead console in a minute.

What do you mean that the tail light harness unplugs where the spare mounts? I am looking to get rid of the whole harness in the cab if I can... Here are a few pics of what I am staining here looking at. (sorry it do dirty! Haha)
Forgot the pics LOL
Attached Thumbnails What to do with the wiring...-image-380413758.jpg   What to do with the wiring...-image-4063623867.jpg   What to do with the wiring...-image-2429857364.jpg  
Old 11-17-2012, 10:50 AM
CF Veteran

The spare mounted inside hatch to left stood up blocking rear side window harness unplug there then it runs alog rocker panel to fuse block most likely gonna have to cut to get that out ...
Old 11-17-2012, 10:51 AM
CF Veteran

Guess the change sides mines on driver side learn new stuff all time
Old 11-17-2012, 11:18 AM

Guess the change sides mines on driver side learn new stuff all time
My harness runs on both sides, then runs under where the rear seat used to be and comes together on the drivers side. I pulled the tailgate harness off just now and it looks real good still... Know anyone who needs one? Lol
Old 11-17-2012, 11:24 AM
CF Veteran

For sale it here and ebay its free money
Old 11-19-2012, 05:20 PM

***UPDATE

I pulled the overhead harness out and fished it through the dash, as to keep it all nice and what-not... And same thing with the tailgate/hatch harness.

I also pulled the two looms that run down both sides of the floor, starting at the tail lights. Well, there were 3 ground wires attached to the body behind where the stock spare tire would sit, 2 of them being for something on the hatch, but one has a thicker gauge wire and was coming from the front of the Jeep, through the harness.

I figured that it had something to do with the stock Infinity amp that came from the factory on my model, but after unhooking it, I had a no-start situation. So I hooked that one ground back up and it fired up no problem...

Like I said in my previous posts, I'm a total newb to wiring... I have basic knowledge of how it all works, but I lack the skill and know how to tap into this harness without some guidance. Has anyone attempted to do what I am doing with regards to removing these pieces of harness? Any advice as to where to go from here or where to look for more information would be much appreciated!

Last edited by TN12valve; 11-19-2012 at 05:23 PM.
Old 11-20-2012, 07:55 AM

Anyone?
Old 11-20-2012, 08:15 AM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L

When you unhooked that ground and had the no-start... did the Jeep turn over but just not fire? I wonder if that might have been the ground for the fuel pump.

Quick Reply: What to do with the wiring...