Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wha da hay, no rear brakes

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2018, 07:52 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1986
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 2.5 liter
Question Wha da hay, no rear brakes

I have a 1986 xj laredo, half-hemi, 2.5 liter and 4 speed. Lifted about 3 1/2".

Don't think any of that matters but someone always asks. Now the problem.

I extended the rear brake line as suggested here on CF. Small amount of leakage of brake fluid that would be expected cracking open a closed system. Anyway, decided to wait on the front line extensions until after hunting season. My son and I went to bleed the brakes due to the above noted replacement and extension of the rear brake line, cracked the rear passenger side bleeder, applied pressure to the pedal, pumped it numerous times, no brake fluid or air released from the bleeder.

Yes, the reservoir was filled prior to this exercise. Removed the bleeder, pumped again, still no air or fluid. Crazy. Just for giggles, removed the drivers side bleeder screw. Pumped the brakes, still no fluid or air.

Thus the title of this post. WHAT DA HAY!

I deduct that I drove all hunting season with front brakes only because it does stop. I have the emergency brake that works, of course it is cable actuated.

So all this to get to my question. Do proportioning valves fail? If so, do we just buy a new one or can I kit the current one? In my 59 years, I have never seen or heard of a proportioning valve failure.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
TexasTaz38

Happy Jeepin' to all.
Old 04-12-2018, 08:30 PM
CF Veteran

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts
Year: 96 & 88 4 dr Cherokees

half-hemi ?????????
Old 04-12-2018, 08:46 PM
Seasoned Member

yeah, I say that before someone else makes fun of it. it is what it is and goes anywhere I care to go. I have 2 other 2 doors, a v6 and 4.0 H.O. to build. The 2.5 is basically a daily driver, fire road runner, hunting vehicle.
Old 04-12-2018, 09:15 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Grand Cherokee(ZJ)
Engine: 4.0

Time to pull the drum off and inspect the wheel cylinder on each side. Could be plugged with crud?
Old 04-13-2018, 05:10 AM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

Removed bleeder ? Have you done brakes b4 ?

https://www.wikihow.com/Bleed-Car-Brakes

Last edited by freegdr; 04-13-2018 at 05:14 AM.
Old 04-13-2018, 05:20 AM
CF Veteran

Received 42 Likes on 31 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

I'd remove the extended brake line & see if it's clogged. Try to bleed it without the line. Eliminate each part until you find the issue.
Old 04-13-2018, 06:17 AM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by Big David
I'd remove the extended brake line & see if it's clogged. Try to bleed it without the line. Eliminate each part until you find the issue.
That's what I figured, start at the back and work my way toward the front. I think my first check though will be to what you said. See if I had brake pressure to the attachment point of the extended brake line. I would do almost anything to avoid messing with the drum brakes. lol Thanks.
Old 04-13-2018, 06:22 AM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by freegdr
Removed bleeder ? Have you done brakes b4 ?

https://www.wikihow.com/Bleed-Car-Brakes
Yes, removed the bleeders just to see if anything at all would come out, ie, dirt, rust or crud in general using the pressure of the pedal to try and force it out.

Yes, I have done numerous brake jobs but thanks for the link. It may help someone else too.

Happy Jeepin
TexasTaz38
Old 04-13-2018, 01:08 PM
CF Veteran

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts
Year: 96 & 88 4 dr Cherokees

Originally Posted by texastaz38
yeah, I say that before someone else makes fun of it. it is what it is and goes anywhere I care to go. I have 2 other 2 doors, a v6 and 4.0 H.O. to build. The 2.5 is basically a daily driver, fire road runner, hunting vehicle.
Not making fun of it, just don't know what you are talking about ??

half hemi cuz it's a 2.5 l ?? Hemi is 5.7, so not that since 2.5 + 2.5 is 5.0

half-hemi cuz it has 4 cylinders ?? Hemi has 8, ok, 1/2 is 4, but you could call every 4 cylinder that

Sorry, just don't get it......
Old 04-14-2018, 11:38 AM
CF Veteran

Yes, removed the bleeders just to see if anything at all would come out, ie, dirt, rust or crud in general using the pressure of the pedal to try and force it out.

Yes, I have done numerous brake jobs but thanks for the link. It may help someone else too.

Happy Jeepin
TexasTaz38
Have you tried removeing bleeder with cap off master and let gravity take its course.
Old 04-15-2018, 11:05 AM
Seasoned Member

I suppose that's what I'm doing right now. Not on purpose but I left it like that to go to the grandson's baseball games. I will check it out when I get back.

I wonder if I ever had rear brakes. I only drove it a short while before beginning the modification process so I really don't know. Probably going to end up rebuilding the entire rear brake system once I find the "no fluid" issue. I most likely won't get back on it until early in the week due to grandson ball games.

I have plenty to do though. This thing leaks out of every orifice, or did. Replaced the valve cover gasket, distributor gasket, and dif covers. Still have to conquer the power steering pump leak.

I love this little jeep but man, it's a constant process.

Happy Jeepin'
TexasTaz38
Old 04-15-2018, 01:26 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1998

Suggest looking up about the proportioning valve. It's safety function is to shutoff the fluid supply to a part of the brake system in case of serious failure. It has happened that the thingamajig in there gets stuck in one position thus preventing brakes from functioning even after repairs are made.
Old 04-16-2018, 01:08 PM
CF Veteran

I suppose that's what I'm doing right now. Not on purpose but I left it like that to go to the grandson's baseball games. I will check it out when I get back.

I wonder if I ever had rear brakes. I only drove it a short while before beginning the modification process so I really don't know. Probably going to end up rebuilding the entire rear brake system once I find the "no fluid" issue. I most likely won't get back on it until early in the week due to grandson ball games.

I have plenty to do though. This thing leaks out of every orifice, or did. Replaced the valve cover gasket, distributor gasket, and dif covers. Still have to conquer the power steering pump leak.

I love this little jeep but man, it's a constant process.

Happy Jeepin'
TexasTaz38
If you let master run dry your going backwards.
Old 04-18-2018, 06:02 PM
Seasoned Member

I don't think the master cylinder is going to run dry. lol Not a drop has leaked out of the bleeder holes. Guess it's time to start cracking lines and see how far back I have fluid. As pointed out by someone earlier, it may be the wheel cylinders themselves.

The fun seems to never end.
Old 04-18-2018, 08:20 PM
CF Veteran

Received 277 Likes on 243 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L

Have you cracked open the brake line at the master cylinder to see if it puts brake fluid out there ?

Quick Reply: Wha da hay, no rear brakes