Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Went HD steering w/ heims, want to go back to stock!

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2018, 07:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Went HD steering w/ heims, want to go back to stock!

Recently put on a Trail Forged HD steering setup w/ heims. Heard good things about them plus they ship quick so went with them. However, ever since putting this setup on, it's been annoying. Had bump steer, thought I corrected that with an alignment that had too much toe-in. Moved the drag link above and below the pitman arm. It doesn't wander but has slight bump steer. I didn't have these issues before putting these parts on.

Of course the knuckles and pitman arms are now drilled out to 5/8. Is there anyway I can go back to the stock steering setup, maybe with tapered inserts? This is my DD.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Attached Thumbnails Went HD steering w/ heims, want to go back to stock!-img_20180613_185657.jpg  
Old 07-03-2018, 07:50 AM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 1994...mostly...
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L I6 HO, Lot's of Bolt Ons

To answer your question simply yes you can.

You can either do tapered inserts to go back to stock OR get a reamer and go 1-ton tie rod ends.

As for not liking hiems, you really should not have any problem with them. Your problem is with that steering setup you need to move your track bar.
Old 07-03-2018, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by Desertfox1023
To answer your question simply yes you can.

You can either do tapered inserts to go back to stock OR get a reamer and go 1-ton tie rod ends.

As for not liking hiems, you really should not have any problem with them. Your problem is with that steering setup you need to move your track bar.
I figured I had an isolate issue as many people don't usually complain about them. I've read and read about the drag link and track bar being parallel.

I'm assuming you mean moving the track bar up on the axle side?
Old 07-03-2018, 10:06 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Quickbird144
I figured I had an isolate issue as many people don't usually complain about them. I've read and read about the drag link and track bar being parallel.

I'm assuming you mean moving the track bar up on the axle side?
Yes Exactly.

In an ideal world you want the drag link and track bar:

1) Parallel
2) Equal Lengths
3) Flat as possible

Parallel is the biggest thing on the list as without it the two are fighting each other in different planes. Causing exactly what you are experiencing...

You won't to be able to get them equal lengths without out boarding the track bar on the frame side. (I wouldn't bother, unless you just want too...)
Run the Drag link over the knuckle like you have it and it should be flat enough.
Old 07-03-2018, 12:40 PM
CF Veteran

Received 482 Likes on 413 Posts
Year: 1986
Engine: 4.3L with headers and full 3" exhaust system

Agreed. Your track bar is not parallel with the drag link. You can go back with tapered inserts. Or, you could lower the frame end of the track bar more. You have hit one of the major objections I have to these kits. Poorly engineered for daily drivers. And to be honest, though some may disagree, there are two reasons stock tie rod ends fail. Lack of lubricant and flexing them past their designed range of motion from too high of a lift. I have yet to see one sheer the tapered shaft. Not saying it can't happen, but I have not seen it yet.
Old 07-03-2018, 01:41 PM

These angles look any better?
Old 07-03-2018, 02:23 PM
CF Veteran

Yes, those look just right
Old 07-03-2018, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by 4.3L XJ
Yes, those look just right
Awesome. With it like this, the bump steer is very very minimal. I guess it's something I'll have to live with for now until I can get a decent axle in there with a better steering setup. Have a LP D30 right now. Don't want to dump a bunch of money into it.
Old 07-03-2018, 02:56 PM
CF Veteran

One more question. Is it bump steer you have where you take a dive to the right when you hit a bump or is it death wobble where the wheels vibrate back and forth
Old 07-03-2018, 04:00 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
Engine: 5.2

One more question. Is it bump steer you have where you take a dive to the right when you hit a bump or is it death wobble where the wheels vibrate back and forth
Death wobble is violent shaking.
Old 07-04-2018, 07:37 AM

It's not really a bump steer. I can hit bumps and it doesn't really flinch. More like a pulling when there are inconsistencies in the road. I had bad wandering and when doing my alignment found I was toed in quite a bit. Fixed that. My caster is at 4* pointed up at the t-case (low pinion D30).

Definitely don't have death wobble. I failed to mention my gear box is leaking, has been long before the steering upgrade. Also I had some slop so I tried the tighten method but now the steering feels on the tight side. Power steering pump screams when turning in a parking lot.
Old 07-04-2018, 09:52 AM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: '98
Engine: 4.0 I6

I had a dead spot with my factory gear box (250k miles on it) that would cause a LOT of wandering if the road went off camber or had a big whoop or anything in it. 5-10 degrees of steering play

Had a local rebuild put a Durango box together for me and rebuilt my power steering pump and it made a huge difference. Still wanders if the road surface cants to one side but much better

​​​​​​If your angles are correct, look at how much play the steering gear has, and see if you can tighten the bearing preload on it to reduce slop. If it starts getting tight and still has slop, your steering gear may just be worn out
Old 07-04-2018, 09:55 AM
CF Veteran

It's not really a bump steer. I can hit bumps and it doesn't really flinch. More like a pulling when there are inconsistencies in the road. I had bad wandering and when doing my alignment found I was toed in quite a bit. Fixed that. My caster is at 4* pointed up at the t-case (low pinion D30).

Definitely don't have death wobble. I failed to mention my gear box is leaking, has been long before the steering upgrade. Also I had some slop so I tried the tighten method but now the steering feels on the tight side. Power steering pump screams when turning in a parking lot.
Sounds like your box might be a bit tight. Check your suspension bushings. I assume the alignment guy checked your ball joints.
Old 07-05-2018, 02:17 PM
CF Veteran

Pulling When there is an inconsistent road I would call normal jeep steering play. We don't drive sports cars.

However, the tight steering box and squealing indicate a poorly adjusted set screw on the box and I would back it off some. If it still sequels I would Rebuild / Get a new box AND a New Pump. Any trash from the box is likely in your pump and you should replace both.
Old 02-03-2020, 07:23 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
Engine: 5.9L 360

What did you do to get better angle on your drag link and track bar

Quick Reply: Went HD steering w/ heims, want to go back to stock!