Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Well that did not go as planned - trying a 160a Denso 56029914aa alternator

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2016, 09:40 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Well that did not go as planned - trying a 160a Denso 56029914aa alternator

Well today I tried a Denos 160a #56029914aa alternator because I read on the internet that it would work. It DOES NOT work on my daughter's 2000 Jeep Cherokee XJ, no worries as nothing ventured nothing gained, only costed me $11 at the local junkyard on a 50% off day and I can swap it for another.

I am posting this up so the next person who researches it can see why it won't work. I think this one came off a late model Jeep Liberty and I read it worked on XJ's, as well as saw pictures of it installed on a TJ.

This is the model #

You can see here it has the goofy 3 mount

And here you can see it does not even come close to matching up with the 2000 XJ alternator mount

SO THAT WAS A COMPLETE FAIL, fortunately I ended up adding a plug to 136a Grand Cherokee alternator I picked up for my 1998 and was able to add a plug from the old 2000 alternator parts I had laying around and plug and play it into my daughter's 2000 cherokee without hacking her wiring (why toss them all back inside when its a junk yard core when you might need it to McGuyver something later), also had some of the wiring harness from a jeep I cut the wiring for when parting out a jeep going to a junkyard. Between the two I made an adapter from new style plug to old style that bolts on with 2 nuts

The above adapter attaches to an alternator that looks like this (sorry did not take any final pictures)

So incase anyone was wondering, with a little rewiring a 1991.5-1998 alternator can be rewired to work in a 1999-2001 Cherokee and visa/versa.

I will probably exchange the alternator that did not bolt up for one that bolts in and plugs in correctly.

My main hope for this post was if someone google searched Denso 56029914aa they will find this thread and realize it won't work in an XJ.