Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Welded the rear now for the front?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2013, 01:27 AM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Engine: I6
Default Welded the rear now for the front?

ok guys i welded my dana 35 in the 90 renix and it rode great at muddy gras i'm on 32 inch swampers, i was hard on it and nothing broke so i believe it will be fine as long as im not hopping or on rocks. so what should i do about the front? my other jeep is locked in the front and that thing would go through more than my 90 jeep especially on big inclines since the weight is on the front tires and both are getting power.
ive got the posi-loc cable installed on in the 90 on my dana 30 but its open diff, should i get an E-locker for it or weld it or would a lock right be alright? im wondering how the steering would be with something in the front.
it only gets trailered to the trails. welding would be the best bet right? seeing as i just pull my posi lock and i would be able to steer just fine right?
Thoughts?
Old 03-17-2013, 01:41 AM
CF Veteran

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 93 2 door
Engine: 4.0

a dana 30 isn't going to be strong enough to handle being welded. or at least I wouldn't trust it. it'll be really hard on ujoints, hubs etc. and steering would be a PITA. I'm really happy with my aussie. $250 and it works fine
Old 03-17-2013, 09:34 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Atmos
a dana 30 isn't going to be strong enough to handle being welded. or at least I wouldn't trust it. it'll be really hard on ujoints, hubs etc. and steering would be a PITA. I'm really happy with my aussie. $250 and it works fine
This jeep only sees trails, the only times its on concrete is to back it off the trailer into my driveway. Wouldn't the welded Dana 30 not feel any different than it is right now as long as my posi lock cable isn't engaged? So if I can't turn around an obstacle on the trail I can push the cable and chug along? The lock right in my 87 Dana 30 binds up when going down trails in 4 Lo I just figured it was the same thing pretty much unless I'm only in 2wd. Then my ring gear won't turn
Old 03-17-2013, 09:43 AM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: Check

That posi lock cable will make that workable.
Old 03-17-2013, 10:31 AM

Year: 2000
Engine: I 4.0

Originally Posted by Metlic53
ok guys i welded my dana 35 in the 90 renix and it rode great at muddy gras i'm on 32 inch swampers, i was hard on it and nothing broke so i believe it will be fine as long as im not hopping or on rocks. so what should i do about the front? my other jeep is locked in the front and that thing would go through more than my 90 jeep especially on big inclines since the weight is on the front tires and both are getting power.
ive got the posi-loc cable installed on in the 90 on my dana 30 but its open diff, should i get an E-locker for it or weld it or would a lock right be alright? im wondering how the steering would be with something in the front.
it only gets trailered to the trails. welding would be the best bet right? seeing as i just pull my posi lock and i would be able to steer just fine right?
Thoughts?
You will lose most of your ability to steer on slick surfaces such as mud, ice, and snow if you weld the front. DON'T DO IT. Put a lunch box in there with a solid axle and get rid of the vacuum cable.
Old 03-17-2013, 11:11 AM
CF Veteran

Received 94 Likes on 85 Posts
Year: 1990, 1999, 2000
Engine: 4.0

if you have the vac disco, which in your case, you do, then locking it in any way will cause many u-joint failures.

swap in either a solid axle from either a limited/np242 jeep or a newer model with the larger 297 joints.
those little 260 joints your axle has won't last long with a locker, i've tried that. even with the use of the posi lok cable setup.

you can just swap out the axle shafts, but the passenger side is a little bit of work. you have to remove the small seal mid tube and install a seal at the pumpkin, then block off the vac motor hole.
Old 03-17-2013, 11:13 AM

Sorry OP, I misread your post. You already did ditch the vacuum actuator and you have a cable system that allows you to engage or disengage your passenger front axle apart from the t-case shifter. I guess that gives you a "poor mans selectable locker." I've never done it that way but I know I don't like any cable or hose connected to my diffs or axles. I've also had bad experiences with welding diffs. Just my opinion but other then that it sounds like it should work. Have you looked at Lincoln spools?
Old 03-17-2013, 11:17 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by caged
if you have the vac disco, which in your case, you do, then locking it in any way will cause many u-joint failures.

swap in either a solid axle from either a limited/np242 jeep or a newer model with the larger 297 joints.
those little 260 joints your axle has won't last long with a locker, i've tried that. even with the use of the posi lok cable setup.

you can just swap out the axle shafts, but the passenger side is a little bit of work. you have to remove the small seal mid tube and install a seal at the pumpkin, then block off the vac motor hole.
Hmmm seems like alot of work, the jeep will never see ice or snow lol
Is there a real tough ujoint for it? It's been a great axle and has given me 0 problems I'd hate to get rid of it, it only sees dirt, no rocks. Ugh I just don't wanna replace it.
Old 03-17-2013, 11:19 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by schirm
Sorry OP, I misread your post. You already did ditch the vacuum actuator and you have a cable system that allows you to engage or disengage your passenger front axle apart from the t-case shifter. I guess that gives you a "poor mans selectable locker." I've never done it that way but I know I don't like any cable or hose connected to my diffs or axles. I've also had bad experiences with welding diffs. Just my opinion but other then that it sounds like it should work. Have you looked at Lincoln spools?
The rear is welded. So that's a Lincoln locker, not sure what you mean by Lincoln spool?
Old 03-17-2013, 11:35 AM

The rear is welded. So that's a Lincoln locker, not sure what you mean by Lincoln spool?
A Lincoln locker is a spool created by welding or by buying a spool. The spools on the market are much stronger then welding.

http://www.trail-gear.com/spool-locker

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/wha...eed-buy-24555/
Old 03-17-2013, 11:46 AM

Don't get me wrong, I'm not suggesting you put a spool in. I'm just answering your question about whether your idea would work to turn in 4wd. That was your question, correct? If so then yes. I just have a bias against welding diffs so i think anything is better then that. I also have a bias against cables and hoses. Lunchbox lockers are easily replaced and cheap, as well as being not quite so permanent.
Old 03-17-2013, 12:26 PM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

http://www.seriousoffroadproducts.co...-FRONT-DANA-30

http://www.seriousoffroadproducts.co...Dana-60-1500-9
Old 03-17-2013, 12:38 PM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

cable lock
http://www.seriousoffroadproducts.co...-6-INCH-RAISED
Old 03-17-2013, 04:17 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by SeriousOffroad
thats the posi lok cable i have installed, works great.

I dont know bout the lockright or not. seems like if im in 4LO and cruising down the trails, if the front driveshaft is putting alot of torque to the axle, i don't see it unlocking while in 4LO unless i put in back down to 2wd... the lockright in my 87 acts up when crusing down trails ive noticed (only when turning)
Old 03-17-2013, 04:52 PM

thats the posi lok cable i have installed, works great.

I dont know bout the lockright or not. seems like if im in 4LO and cruising down the trails, if the front driveshaft is putting alot of torque to the axle, i don't see it unlocking while in 4LO unless i put in back down to 2wd... the lockright in my 87 acts up when crusing down trails ive noticed (only when turning)
Sounds like your lockright isn't working if the outside tire is not ratcheting open on turns. Are the measurements within spec?

Quick Reply: Welded the rear now for the front?