Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Way too Stiff Ride. Opinions Wanted

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2018, 11:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 Power Tec
Default Way too Stiff Ride. Opinions Wanted

2001 XJ sport. 3'' Iron Rock Offroad lift with Bilstein 5125 shocks. Cooper St Maxx 30'' tires.

This ride is wayy too stiff. I feel every crack in the road up my spine to the point something has to be done.

Not sure if its the shocks, tires, or springs that are the culprit. First time running 5125 series shock and first time running Cooper St Maxx's. I noticed the Bilstein front shock mount design is a bit funny; it uses a mount that has no rubber bushings connecting to the body. The shock does have a round rubber bushing from the shock to the mount adapter. My guess is that could be where the harsh ride is stemming from.

I usually run OME shocks and Duratrac tires and always had a good ride.

I've aired my tires down to 20psi and the ride is still horrible.

Any suggestions on where to go next please?

Old 01-30-2018, 06:35 AM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,525 Likes on 1,237 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

Do you feel the jolting more from the rear than the front?

If so, loosen the front leaf spring bolts and And all the shackle bolts.

Take a ride around the block a few times and when you get back, tighten the bolts up with the Jeep ON THE GROUND.

It's possible the leaf spring bolts were tightened at one time with the suspension hanging.
Old 01-30-2018, 08:45 AM
CF Veteran

Received 247 Likes on 206 Posts
Year: 1988
Engine: I6 4.0

What does the shackle angle look like?
Old 01-30-2018, 04:32 PM
CF Veteran

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts
Year: 96 & 88 4 dr Cherokees

That upper mount you show is NOT part of the shock, it is a bayonet mount replacement kit that lets you use a normal shock with an eye on the end instead of the bayonet mount.

It should not have any bushing between it and the body...the bushing between the shock and it is plenty.

I am not a fan of bilsteins either, as my ride got harsher when I put them on too.
Old 01-30-2018, 06:46 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Grand Cherokee(ZJ)

Did it used to ride better with those same front springs or did it start to ride stiff when you lifted it? Some lift kits have too stiff of springs but if it rode better before with the same springs then it is probably the shocks.
Old 01-30-2018, 06:53 PM

To your questions:

Jolting is coming more from the front.

It did not ride this rough being completely factory with stock suspension and tire.
Old 01-30-2018, 07:08 PM

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
Year: 1997

From the last response it is the new springs and shocks. Almost all 3" lift springs have obnoxious spring rates over 220lbs. Stock is 147lbs. Add the stiffer shocks and a more steep control arm angle and likely shackle angle and you get to ride in a wooden wagon. Control arm drop brackets and shackle relocation brackets will make a significant difference. Ultimately though a better spring rate will make the biggest change. I went through this the first time I lifted using a Zone 3" kit which are 240lbs. I ended up going to 4.5" RE springs ~184lbs, CADs, SRBs to get it to ride nice.
Old 01-30-2018, 07:36 PM
CF Veteran

Received 374 Likes on 294 Posts
Year: 1987

I am going to bet its actually the rear causing the rough ride. I have RE 3.5 springs which are one of the stiffest out there. The front of my Jeep rides great. The rear however, is stiff. If I put 100 lbs of stuff back there, it rides beautiful. So my suggestion, load the back of your Jeep up with junk, take it around the block and see how it rides. Most lift companies set up the spring rates assuming that you have stuff like aftermarket bumpers and other things that add weight.
Old 01-30-2018, 07:48 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Grand Cherokee(ZJ)

Note to self, after installing lift kit, build 500lb bumpers. Got it. LOL
The following users liked this post:
Steelhumm (07-23-2021)
Old 01-30-2018, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by 5-Speed
I am going to bet its actually the rear causing the rough ride. I have RE 3.5 springs which are one of the stiffest out there. The front of my Jeep rides great. The rear however, is stiff. If I put 100 lbs of stuff back there, it rides beautiful. So my suggestion, load the back of your Jeep up with junk, take it around the block and see how it rides. Most lift companies set up the spring rates assuming that you have stuff like aftermarket bumpers and other things that add weight.
I've tried that already. Loaded the fat dog, fiance, and ice fishing gear and drove across the state: still no better.

It's tough to explain, I take dips in the road very well. It's the small bumps like every cracks in the road, road connectors, and shallow pot holes that sends a sharp jolt throughout the body, up the seat and felt. Even makes like a sharp echo in the cabin (not like metal to metal) but a jolt felt throughout the body.

Just dont want to throw money at this (being the tires and lift are both new) and replace if it wont fix this.

My last XJ was heavy as sh**, had 5'' lift and all the gadgets on 5100s, Duratracs and rode nicely..

TF?
Old 01-30-2018, 08:28 PM

Rear shackle angle if this is helpful..

Old 01-30-2018, 08:40 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0L H.O.

LCAs will help a lot with the front jolting. At 3" the angle of the stock LCAs is pretty severe, and they're rather short. A longer angled set will send road impacts up into the springs/shocks instead of back into the frame. They will also correct the axle angle & center your tires in the wheel wells.
Old 01-30-2018, 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by TwistedWrench
LCAs will help a lot with the front jolting. At 3" the angle of the stock LCAs is pretty severe, and they're rather short. A longer angled set will send road impacts up into the springs/shocks instead of back into the frame. They will also correct the axle angle & center your tires in the wheel wells.
Thanks for your reply, Already have a set of upper and lower adjustable control arms by IRO.
Old 01-30-2018, 09:17 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0L H.O.

Originally Posted by danbizzle2009
Thanks for your reply, Already have a set of upper and lower adjustable control arms by IRO.
Ok cool. Double check your adjustments, then do as mentioned above. Loosen everything front and rear, cycle the suspension and tighten on the ground. Be sure everything is torqued to spec. Overtightening suspension is all too common, and can give you a harsh ride.
Old 01-30-2018, 10:16 PM
CF Veteran

Received 374 Likes on 294 Posts
Year: 1987

Originally Posted by danbizzle2009
I've tried that already. Loaded the fat dog, fiance, and ice fishing gear and drove across the state: still no better.

It's tough to explain, I take dips in the road very well. It's the small bumps like every cracks in the road, road connectors, and shallow pot holes that sends a sharp jolt throughout the body, up the seat and felt. Even makes like a sharp echo in the cabin (not like metal to metal) but a jolt felt throughout the body.

Just dont want to throw money at this (being the tires and lift are both new) and replace if it wont fix this.

My last XJ was heavy as sh**, had 5'' lift and all the gadgets on 5100s, Duratracs and rode nicely..

TF?
Got it and I know exactly what you mean. Even if I load my Jeep up to where it rides nice, you can still feel and hear all the little bumps and cracks in the road. Its like you have solid bushings in everything and your tires are solid rubber. Ya if you figure out how to stop that, I will be following (please tell me the answer is long arms!). My other bone stock XJ is so quiet and smooth over bumps, its just amazing.

Quick Reply: Way too Stiff Ride. Opinions Wanted