Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vinyl Flooring?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2015, 01:55 PM

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts
Year: 89
Model: Cherokee
Engine: Renix 4.0
Default Vinyl Flooring?

Anyone put this in their XJ? Previous owner had a dog, back's completely embedded with fur, and smells like a wet pooch on rainy days. This seems to be a good, durable solution (photo is not accurate, it is sold as an XJ part):

Old 12-27-2015, 04:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1990

Originally Posted by ElMartillo
Anyone put this in their XJ? Previous owner had a dog, back's completely embedded with fur, and smells like a wet pooch on rainy days. This seems to be a good, durable solution (photo is not accurate, it is sold as an XJ part):

Gonna remove the carpet? Might be cheaper to buy a gallon of Rhinoliner and roll it on if you're ripping the carpet out anyway. If you wanna spend more than that (but still half the cost of that thing) there's a company that sells dyed bedliner, so you can get it in a color you like. Something like that one piece liner, I'd be constantly annoyed by things like, "god dammit this corner bowed out AGAIN! And where is this bubble coming fro-- oh god dammit I left a socket under there." Things like that.

Before I discovered my rear seats actually fold to the floor I was planning on ripping all the carpet out, removing the rear seats, and rhinolining it to give me a nice little storage bed in the back. Not worrying about it now since they folds flat. Had to discover that myself, none of my cool Jeep friends thought to tell me.
The following users liked this post:
GFBurke (06-14-2021)
Old 12-27-2015, 04:51 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1986
Engine: 5.0

Too slick in stock form. Someone mentioned monster liner. Toss a bit of sand in the top coat.
Old 12-27-2015, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by jbsjunk
Too slick in stock form. Someone mentioned monster liner. Toss a bit of sand in the top coat.
You can use a textured roller to give it some stick, too.
Old 12-27-2015, 07:12 PM

How bad is road noise with a bedlined interior? Also, this will be my Northeast winter vehicle. Will the interior be a lot colder?
Old 12-27-2015, 07:20 PM

How bad is road noise with a bedlined interior? Also, this will be my Northeast winter vehicle. Will the interior be a lot colder?
If you get your non-moving bits under it and the floor itself, I imagine it wouldn't be much louder than what your jeep currently is. Some of it is sound deadening and it will all, more importantly than your interior being colder, seal everything from rust. Thats key, especially in the NE. Do they all have carpet and padding?
Old 12-27-2015, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by Kung Fuhrer
Gonna remove the carpet? Might be cheaper to buy a gallon of Rhinoliner and roll it on if you're ripping the carpet out anyway...Before I discovered my rear seats actually fold to the floor I was planning on ripping all the carpet out, removing the rear seats, and rhinolining it to give me a nice little storage bed in the back. Not worrying about it now since they folds flat. Had to discover that myself, none of my cool Jeep friends thought to tell me.
Well, I do plan on removing the rear seats and the carpet in the back anyway, and build a platform with drawers that slide out the rear, and bin-type doors that lift up from the side where the back seat/foot wells are now. I guess the vinyl floor back there would be a waste.

Originally Posted by Kung Fuhrer
If you get your non-moving bits under it and the floor itself, I imagine it wouldn't be much louder than what your jeep currently is. Some of it is sound deadening and it will all, more importantly than your interior being colder, seal everything from rust. Thats key, especially in the NE. Do they all have carpet and padding?
My dad would use roofing tar as an undercoating on his cars. I'll probably do the same.
Old 12-27-2015, 08:05 PM

Well, I do plan on removing the rear seats and the carpet in the back anyway, and build a platform with drawers that slide out the rear, and bin-type doors that lift up from the side where the back seat/foot wells are now. I guess the vinyl floor back there would be a waste.

My dad would use roofing tar as an undercoating on his cars. I'll probably do the same.
Oh damn that's a good one. You'd be able to glue or otherwise fasten things easier to the paint than vinyl, too.
Old 12-28-2015, 12:38 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Bedliner has no sound deaden in it keep that in mind.Take a look at http://www.lizardskin.com/ they have two different ones,Ones a sound deaden the other is a heat barrier you can use both.I would use those first then the vinyl over it.And don't use roofing tar as undercoating thats a bad idea and a sticky mess if you ever gotta work on it in the summer time.Normal spray can undercoating is cheap and easy to use and won't get nasty when it gets hot.
Old 06-13-2021, 01:05 AM

Model: Cherokee (XJ)

All you have to do now is get them refinished. The flooring looks fantastic. Covering good hardwoods is never a wise idea. If you're concerned about the cost of refinishing, start by upgrading the paint, trim, and decorations. Don't waste money on a low-quality product like vinyl flooring when you can save it and extend the life of your hardwoods for another couple of generations.
The following users liked this post:
GFBurke (06-14-2021)
Old 06-13-2021, 08:44 AM
::CF Administrator::

Received 770 Likes on 524 Posts
Year: 97
Engine: 4.6 stroker

WTF

LMFAO

will delete after everyone has a good laugh
The following 2 users liked this post by Rogue4x4:
Battle (06-14-2021), XJlimitedx99 (08-07-2023)
Old 06-14-2021, 01:02 AM
CF Veteran

Received 342 Likes on 232 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0l

Originally Posted by Jeffyk2
All you have to do now is get them refinished. The flooring looks fantastic. Covering good hardwoods is never a wise idea. If you're concerned about the cost of refinishing, start by upgrading the paint, trim, and decorations. Don't waste money on a low-quality product like vinyl flooring when you can save it and extend the life of your hardwoods for another couple of generations.
I bed linered over the vintage hardwood flooring on the first floor of my house and haven't regretted it since. Its so much easier to clean I just use the garden hose and boom I'm done.
The following 2 users liked this post by Veeb0rg:
Battle (06-14-2021), caged (06-14-2021)
Old 06-14-2021, 07:28 AM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,526 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Engine: 4.0

Monster liner does come in mahogany, right?
Old 06-14-2021, 01:06 PM
CF Veteran

Received 250 Likes on 168 Posts
Year: 1999

Originally Posted by Veeb0rg
I bed linered over the vintage hardwood flooring on the first floor of my house and haven't regretted it since. Its so much easier to clean I just use the garden hose and boom I'm done.
This is literally the best thing I've read today lol.
Old 06-14-2021, 03:35 PM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,526 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Originally Posted by Battle
This is literally the best thing I've read today lol.

I finish the job off with a squeegee and shop vac.