Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vibs from rear

Old 11-05-2013, 06:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Vibs from rear

Hi this is my first post here. Anyways let's get to the problem...

Specs:
96 cherokee auto
Roughly about 6" lift
33s adventuro mt
Pro comp w/3.75 BS

Added components:
4.5 RC front springs
Acos adj. Spacers in front (turned all the way down)
Upper and lower adj. Control arms
4.5 RC leaf pack in rear
2" RC shackles
Rugged ridge sye (leaks a little from yoke)
Tattons driveshaft custom made

I installed an sye on my xj two months ago, and immediately problems began. At first I was getting vibs from the rear at 25mph+, shimmed with 8* that came with the leaf packs. Took the front ds off to see if that was the problem, still vibs. After some trail and error finally got my pinion angle a degree under the ds angle at 4* shims. Now I have slightly less vibs at 25mph, but as soon as I hit around 45mph they start to get terrible. Glove box rattles like crazy on the highway.

I replaced the trans mount, no better. Made sure my u joints were greased, they were. I still have the front driveshaft off now, getting bad vibs at 45mph+. I ordered a iro double shear track bar, which is coming hopefully this week. But don't see that as the problem.

So anyone have any ideas what could be the culprit. I'm dumping money trying to figure this out and so far nothing. Any help is much appreciated!

Last edited by Pennsydevil; 11-05-2013 at 06:15 PM. Reason: Forgot to specify which driveshaft
Old 11-05-2013, 06:26 PM

Do you have a Gopro or similar that you can mount under the XJ toward the driveshaft? Might have to the get the pinion side and the output shaft side shots to see what is happening at those speeds. Was your driveshaft balanced properly? Is the transfer case chain tight? Do you have excessive axle wrap? More info is needed to make a diagnosis but those are a few ideas for you.
Old 11-06-2013, 10:12 PM

Update:
Removed rear driveshaft and replaced with stock front ds. Same vibes occur. No play in custom built driveshaft. Removed rear driveshaft completely and put stock front driveshaft on. Drive in 4high and no vibes. Problem seems to be coming from the rear. Possible axle warp? Transfer case? Driveshaft is fine, pinion angle is a degree or two under. Any opinions? I have a rugged ridge sye btw.. Output shaft seal leaks as all RR seals do.. Do they have problems with output shafts? I'm lost... Any insight on my problem?
Old 11-06-2013, 10:42 PM
Herp Derp Jerp

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L OBD-II

When running a double-cardan CV shaft the pinion should be set so that it's in a straight line with the drive shaft:

Less than ideal, but if you can't do that it should be pointed at the output yoke on the transfer case:

Where did the 8 degree shim have it pointed?

Also - how old is your RR SYE? Somewhere within the past month on one of these 9000 forums I saw a post where someone's RR SYE was actually machined wrong. The splines were actually off-center slightly, and if you turned the yoke by hand the joint would actually touch the double-cardan. Maybe get under there and turn it by hand
Old 11-07-2013, 06:01 AM

Originally Posted by salad
When running a double-cardan CV shaft the pinion should be set so that it's in a straight line with the drive shaft:

Less than ideal, but if you can't do that it should be pointed at the output yoke on the transfer case:

Where did the 8 degree shim have it pointed?

Also - how old is your RR SYE? Somewhere within the past month on one of these 9000 forums I saw a post where someone's RR SYE was actually machined wrong. The splines were actually off-center slightly, and if you turned the yoke by hand the joint would actually touch the double-cardan. Maybe get under there and turn it by hand
My pinion is directly pointed at the t case. The angle is perfect. At 8 degrees the pinion was much above the driveshaft angle. At 6 degrees the pinion was a tiny bit above driveshaft angle. Now at 4 degrees I'm just under driveshaft angle, just barley about 1 degree.
I bought my rugged ridge probably in late September, problems ever since the install. I will check the output shaft tmrrw if it's hitting the dc joint.
Old 11-07-2013, 06:55 AM

Here's a picture as it sits now

Old 11-09-2013, 07:18 AM

Update: called tattons about my custom driveshaft since I thought it could be the u joints. Seems I'm the fourth person calling that has a rugged ridge kit this month complaining about this issue. Apprently RR has been sending out unbalanced output shaft (he said yokes but I believe he meant output shafts) and basically I got screwed on the sye kit. So sending in the shaft/yoke with the driveshaft this week to get them balanced together. The guys great, very helpful. I really recommend buying tattons driveshafts and sye kits(he sells a teraflex which he guarantees).
Will update when I get the driveshaft and shaft/yoke back.

In the mean time stay away from RR products
Old 11-09-2013, 07:24 AM
Beach Bum

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Year: 2000 WJ
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Yes, CJ Tatton at Tatton's Driveline is great to work with.
In Salt Lake City, UT.
Old 11-09-2013, 01:17 PM
Herp Derp Jerp

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L OBD-II

Originally Posted by Pennsydevil
Update: called tattons about my custom driveshaft since I thought it could be the u joints. Seems I'm the fourth person calling that has a rugged ridge kit this month complaining about this issue. Apprently RR has been sending out unbalanced output shaft (he said yokes but I believe he meant output shafts) and basically I got screwed on the sye kit. So sending in the shaft/yoke with the driveshaft this week to get them balanced together. The guys great, very helpful. I really recommend buying tattons driveshafts and sye kits(he sells a teraflex which he guarantees).
Will update when I get the driveshaft and shaft/yoke back.

In the mean time stay away from RR products
*****, I was hoping that was a one-off. I have an RR SYE I bought from Serious Offroad in September I haven't installed yet.
Old 11-22-2013, 06:33 PM
kgm
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 99
Engine: 4.0

Good to hear Tattons is good, I am picking up one of their driveshafts.

Last edited by kgm; 11-22-2013 at 06:38 PM.
Old 11-23-2013, 07:11 AM

Yes, I recommend him greatly. He's rebalancing the yoke with the driveshaft. Getting this Tuesday back. Will update when I put the case back together.