Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vibration....Sort of

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2012, 02:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Vibration....Sort of

Alrighty guys and gals, i've had this problem with my XJ since I got it 2 years ago, and I'm hoping you all can help me track it down. What I have is a 96 4.0, ax 15, np 231, 8.25 rear, d30 front, 3.5" lift (in the rear, 3" up front).
Symptoms: As I drive the truck, it develops a wobble/vibration is the only way I can describe it, mainly felt at lower speeds but sometimes at higher speeds too. It is mainly felt in the brake pedal but shifts the entire truck up and down as I drive/come to a stop as well. I would liken it to warped rotors while braking, out of balance tire or tire with a flat spot while cruising. It doesn't seem nearly as prevalent when the truck/drivetrain is cold, but once I've gone 5-10 miles or so, its definitely noticable. I've shaken down the front end, and everything appears to be tight and steering linkages all look good too. Here is the laundry list of what I've replaced either for my own benefit or to try to eliminate this problem:
Rear axle-got one out of a 2000 and geared it to 4.10 with lsd
Regeared front axle to 4.10, new hub/bearing assembly installed at same time
Brake pads, rotors, shoes, rear hardware, wheel cylinders, and lines
Replaced blocks and rear leafs with full leaf packs
New clutch, flywheel, pilot bearing, throwout bearing, rear main
New trans mount and motor mounts
New wheels (replaced black d window types with Black Rock wheels-new)
New Duratrac tires replacing bald off brand ATs
My next step is putting in the new transfercase i bought with an SYE already installed and if it will fit a ZJ front driveshaft (longer) or i may just buy a tom woods shaft if i buy a spare vehicle in time for my truck to be down till it arrives. I'm hoping that there is an issue with either a bad bearing in the xfer case causing the driveshaft to wobble, or that the driveshaft itself is bad. If anyone has had something like this come up before or has anything else they can throw in, let me know. If this doesn't fix the problem, i'm going to probably rebuild the trans (was in the plan anyway, and hell why not throw more money at it? lol) and go from there. Thanks!
Old 01-12-2012, 03:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine: 4.0 HO

Bump, let me know about the front driveshaft. I'm having the same problem and I think that's where the issue lies but I'm.not sure
Old 01-13-2012, 03:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Engine: 4.0

I actually rode without the front driveshaft on the truck after I swapped axles, and the vibes didn't go away, so I'm thinking xfer case, rear DS, or a bent front axle shaft.
Old 01-14-2012, 05:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine: 4.0 HO

I think I'll just put up with mine for now, after all, its a jeep not a cadillac ha