Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

UTK to OTK driveability improvement

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2018, 07:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default UTK to OTK driveability improvement

So...
I recently did a long arm kit on my 99 XJ and went from a 3" BDS to an IRO long arm kit with 4.5" coils. I hated the puny stock steering so I thought I would jump on the one ton bandwagon. I am running the SFR UTK kit, its pretty nice. I like that it comes with moog tierod ends rather than no name junk ones. I knew the pitfalls associated with inverted "T" setups but thought to myself, how bad could it be?

Well.. it aint that good. I am running a IRO track bar in its stock location and understand about parallel trackbars and draglinks. Even with "the cure" tie rod spacer the dead spot is pretty bad with the tie rod roll. On the highway its not that bad but on bumpy roads in town its not very enjoyable.

So what I am getting at is will all of my dreams come true by reaming my knuckes, again, and going OTK? I would get an over the axle track bar relocation as well as have to trim my coil retainers as well as rig up swaybar end links and run knuckle inserts. Is all of this worth it? I am not concerned about moving my tie rod up and out of the way, there are no rocks where I live. It will purely be for better angles to lessen the tie rod roll.

So for anyone who has been in my shoes what is your 2 cents after taking the plunge?