Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Upper control arm question

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2015, 01:13 AM

Location: Just moved to Ulster Park NY. Need safe places to ride
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 L
Default Upper control arm question

I have a 3" lift (2 yrs ago). All new steering and sus parts, except upper control arms and bushings. recently I have been experiencing a loud clunk right under my feet at low speeds when turning, and very wobbly, or loose, or floaty steering while driving at most speeds. I had my girlfriend turn my steering wheel back and forth while I checked out underneath. The only thing that I can see that might be an issue is that my upper control arms move side to side with the steering wheel. Maybe a total of an inch or inch and a half of movement on the arms while she was moving the steering wheel less than one rotation. Also it seems like they have a little bit of play on both ends of the arms (Axle end and frame end)
I don't think this is normal.
So my questions are
1) should there be any play side to side with the control arms?
2) If I am correct and this is not normal should I replace just the axle end bushings or should I also replace the control arms? (I'm poor)
3) If this could be the issue, about how much should I expect a garage to charge me for the job? If I decide to give it a go myself how much should I expect to swear while I am doing it?

I have done all of the work on my lift so far, but this is my first time doing uppers, so I have a pretty good working knowledge of my steering and sus setup but no actual experience with this particular job.

If you guys need any more info please let me know and any help is really appreciated.

Last edited by XJJeeper79; 03-12-2015 at 01:33 AM. Reason: added details
Old 03-12-2015, 06:18 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: I6 4.0

I would try the bushings then go from there.