Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

upgrading my exhaust setup, where to begin and whats best.

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2013, 07:38 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999.
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0, I6
Default upgrading my exhaust setup, where to begin and whats best.

so im currently finishing up rebuilding my 4.0 and with that being said im looking to redo my current exhaust setup (all factory) my engine is gonna be putting out alot more power so i figure the cat needs to be high performance and i should get an after market muffler. anyways im not very familar with exhaust setups quite yet so i was hoping one of your brilliant minds can help. listed below are my engine specs, now if anyone could point me in the right direction whether it be based on brand or what style cat or whatever it would be greatly appreciated.

Engine Build Sheet.
- Thorr Cold Air Intake, Cowl Snorkel kit
- APN Exhaust Manifold
- 99+ Intake Manifold
- Flow Kooler High Performance Water Pump
- Flow Kooler High Performance Thermostat
- Brown Dog Headers Motor Mount Super Kit.
- Ford Taurus 2 Speed Electric Fan Upgrade
- CFS High Performance All Metal 3-Row Radiator
- External Transmission Oil Cooler
- Mopar High Performance Oil Pump
- 60mm Bored Throttle Body (99+)
- Rebuilt Dodge Neon (Upgraded) 784 Injectors
- Comp Cams Custom Cam
- OEM 00+ Timing Gear Kit (Cam)
Old 03-26-2013, 08:50 PM

Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 HO

Those mods would definitely benefit from going to 21/2 pipe from the APN manifold back. For a cat, I would go w/ Magnaflo hi flo cat, followed by a (common brand) FlowMaster 40 or 44 exhaust... or what ever muffler in your budget.
Old 03-26-2013, 09:03 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by Gauge
Those mods would definitely benefit from going to 21/2 pipe from the APN manifold back. For a cat, I would go w/ Magnaflo hi flo cat, followed by a (common brand) FlowMaster 40 or 44 exhaust... or what ever muffler in your budget.
I would agree with most of this but it is a known fact flow master mufflers are not the best flowing mufflers out there. I would look into a magnaflow or dynomax ultra flow muffler.
Old 03-26-2013, 10:10 PM
CF Veteran

Received 247 Likes on 206 Posts
Year: 1988
Engine: I6 4.0

There's a vendor here that sells cat back kits for $105 with a 5% CF discount with flowmaster or magnaflow mufflers and 2.5" pipes, I have the F 44 kit and it's been over two years now and still sounds amazing
Old 03-26-2013, 10:17 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by unidentifiedbomb
There's a vendor here that sells cat back kits for $105 with a 5% CF discount with flowmaster or magnaflow mufflers and 2.5" pipes, I have the F 44 kit and it's been over two years now and still sounds amazing
That would be Mudfrog, That is where I got my exhaust from But I mixed and matched my parts
Old 03-27-2013, 03:14 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by unidentifiedbomb
Originally Posted by Tom95YJ
That would be Mudfrog, That is where I got my exhaust from But I mixed and matched my parts
yea i looked him up and sent him a PM a day or 2 ago waiting to hear back. thanks for the info guys. i will hopefully be making a purchase through him, or at least his company within a few days.
Old 03-27-2013, 04:05 PM

Year: 1997

I have a full magnaflow system except for the gibson headers i put on recently. Before the headers I just had the stock manifold and the magnaflow still sounded beast. I have family members and friends with flowmaster and corsa on their jeep and I am glad I am the unique one with the magnaflow because it sounds better. Its deep, strong, and has muscle. When you floor the petal it just gets better. Always getting compliments. btw so glad i spent the extra cash on a stainless steel exhaust
Old 03-27-2013, 04:07 PM

Year: 1992

I just installed the kit last week. I went with magnaflow muffler and it sounds great. My motor is .30 over with custom comp cam and 703 injectors and rusty air tube intake.
Attached Thumbnails upgrading my exhaust setup, where to begin and whats best.-image-1535887083.jpg   upgrading my exhaust setup, where to begin and whats best.-image-3697276980.jpg  
Old 03-27-2013, 04:08 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1994
Engine: Inline 6 4.0L High Output

Originally Posted by clayton3854

yea i looked him up and sent him a PM a day or 2 ago waiting to hear back. thanks for the info guys. i will hopefully be making a purchase through him, or at least his company within a few days.
Might want to email off the site. Haven't seen him in a while
Old 03-27-2013, 04:24 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by DNNDRTY
I have a full magnaflow system except for the gibson headers i put on recently. Before the headers I just had the stock manifold and the magnaflow still sounded beast. I have family members and friends with flowmaster and corsa on their jeep and I am glad I am the unique one with the magnaflow because it sounds better. Its deep, strong, and has muscle. When you floor the petal it just gets better. Always getting compliments. btw so glad i spent the extra cash on a stainless steel exhaust
my plan was magnaflow tbh, iv heard countless good things about magnaflow where everything i hear about flowmaster is how over rated they are these days. and thanks for the tip, ill most likely stick to stainless steel as well.

Originally Posted by 94XjSport94
Might want to email off the site. Haven't seen him in a while
my plan was that if i havent heard back by friday im going to give them a call when im outta class friday and hopefully order up an entire setup then.

on a seperate note, i would imagine since iv never replaced my downpipe that its a good idea to replace it while iv got everything ripped out considering odds are its rusted to hell. any companys out there make a aftermarket downpipe? or will a factory replacement work here?
Old 03-27-2013, 04:26 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by paperxj
I just installed the kit last week. I went with magnaflow muffler and it sounds great. My motor is .30 over with custom comp cam and 703 injectors and rusty air tube intake.

besides the magnaflow muffler what else did you order? down pipe? new cat? i imagine my motor is gonna be over the .30 yours is considering iv rebuild almost every aspect of my motor as i listed in my origional post so i just wanna make sure i invest in all the parts i should now so down the road i dont mess something up bc i took the cheap route somewhere along the way.
Old 03-27-2013, 04:55 PM

Year: 1992

Originally Posted by clayton3854

besides the magnaflow muffler what else did you order? down pipe? new cat? i imagine my motor is gonna be over the .30 yours is considering iv rebuild almost every aspect of my motor as i listed in my origional post so i just wanna make sure i invest in all the parts i should now so down the road i dont mess something up bc i took the cheap route somewhere along the way.
I had the muffler shop bend a new pipe from the header and I order the cat from local parts store( magnaflow also). I just order from performance curve is part number cherokee2 witch is muffler and tail pipe witch is all 2.5''. The only thing better would be ordering all in stainless.
Old 03-27-2013, 05:08 PM

Engine: 4.0

Banks torque tube header, stainless magna-flow muffler, hi flow cat, mandrel bent stainless down pipe, sound is great, nice low rumble at idle, great sound wide open
Old 03-27-2013, 05:45 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by paperxj
I had the muffler shop bend a new pipe from the header and I order the cat from local parts store( magnaflow also). I just order from performance curve is part number cherokee2 witch is muffler and tail pipe witch is all 2.5''. The only thing better would be ordering all in stainless.
i plan on going all stainless after hearing the upside.

Originally Posted by Wiclassic
Banks torque tube header, stainless magna-flow muffler, hi flow cat, mandrel bent stainless down pipe, sound is great, nice low rumble at idle, great sound wide open
i already have the APN header so im just looking to do the downpipe cat muffler and tailpipe.
Old 03-29-2013, 02:08 PM
CF Veteran

so i found the cat n muffler i want, now just trying to decide on a full tail pipe, or having just a bent tip attached the the back of the muffler, pros n cons to each method? thanks.

Quick Reply: upgrading my exhaust setup, where to begin and whats best.