Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2011, 01:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1992
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default upgrades

I am not new to vehicle upgrades, but i am new to jeeps. i bought a decent 92 XJ for about $1300. It needs work though. its got the 4.0 auto tranny. does anyone have any advice on what are mandatory upgrades or where i should start with this pig. i want to take it to the hills and through snow but nothing too serious. mainly hunting, camping, fishing, shooting and also drive it to work. im in the military so i drive to work everyday and i stay on base. any suggestions would help. thanks
alex
Old 07-20-2011, 01:36 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1999.
Engine: 4.0, I6

3-4" lift 31" tires tcase drop kit would be my first suggestions for you
Old 07-20-2011, 01:40 PM
CF Veteran

I would suggest decent tires, front bumper, hi clearence winch one preferred so you can mount a winch under the rad out of the way.

Reasoning: Hunting/fishing is generally done with one vehicle and you dont want to get stuck and not be able to get yourself out so a winch is a must. If you dont want to mod to fit the winch under the rad I'd suggest a bumper that has a reciever up front so you can put your winch in the reciever. Tires will keep you from getting stuck.

If you care about flares and making it pretty then 30s are all you can run stock if you trim a bit of your plastic flares. 31s will fit nicely if you dont mind trimming some sheet metal just a bit and switching your lower control arms to ones from a WJ.

Personally I use mine for basic wheeling, fishing, camping etc. and I love having a nice low Center of gravity and 31" tires.

You dont need the lift with 31s and trimming btw. Either way I suggest wheeling stock first to learn how to wheel.
Old 07-20-2011, 01:42 PM

i have been looking at a 3" lift with aal and if i go that route do i have to do a tcase drop? is there a benefit for doing that? i have 30s on there now but i am going to go to a 31. possibly cut some fender off too. any motor upgrade suggestions? intake, exhaust? anything you can think of.
Old 07-20-2011, 01:45 PM
CF Veteran

with only 3" lift you shouldnt NEED a tcase drop for one is reccomended and for the price most go for only like 30 bucks you cant go wrong. aal kits will sag in the rear its just a matter of time. engine upgrades are all preference.
Old 07-20-2011, 01:45 PM

ya i want to put some 31s on there but i live in sd and the weather is rediculous here so i wanted to do a 3" lift. i dont need anything higher than that. i am also looking at a rough country winch but i think i want a new bumper before i get the winch. im also looking at a roof rack and there is a local guy in town who custom builds them. Im mainly concerned with motor upgrades. i want to make sure i can drive this pig for a while and not be worried about taking it somewhere and not getting back
Old 07-20-2011, 01:47 PM
CF Veteran

only thing your gonna need to truely be concerned with when it comes to your engine/tranny are it over heating besides that you wont run into any issues when it comes to your stock power with a small lift. unless you want more power that is.
Old 07-20-2011, 02:41 PM

i was thinking a cold air intake. my exhaust is shot so i was going to upgrade that. nay good exhaust choices you prefer? nothing crazy
Old 07-20-2011, 03:48 PM
CF Veteran

Dont do a Cold air intake. those belong on honda civics. if you want a good intake system for your XJ put on a snorkel. If you're camping, fishing and hunting its only a matter of time before you start crossing small creeks and before you know it those creeks can get pretty damn deep. For exhaust weld in some 2.5" pipe with a decent cat and a cherry bomb muffler. Wont let you down and its nice and small so it wont get hung up like flow masters and other street exhausts.
Old 07-20-2011, 04:42 PM
CF Veteran

Model: Comanche

Originally Posted by OttawaXJ
.... For exhaust weld in some 2.5" pipe with a decent cat and a cherry bomb muffler. Wont let you down and its nice and small so it wont get hung up like flow masters and other street exhausts.

Thats what I did. I LOVE my cherry bomb 'turbo' Its mean and deep sounding but it was also like 20 bucks and I've ripped it off on an stump and I just put it back on. No problems what so ever, wasn't even dented. I hit it going like 15 mph too. haha thank god that was the only thing I 'broke'
Old 07-20-2011, 04:45 PM
CF Veteran

I connect my exhaust with the ubolt things and I just keep the threads up top and the damn thing just slides over everything. I've been unable to do any damage to it.

One of the trails near me, Lavant has claimed 3 mufflers from me until i switched to cherry bomb and I havent lost a single one since.
Old 07-20-2011, 04:50 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by OttawaXJ
I connect my exhaust with the ubolt things and I just keep the threads up top and the damn thing just slides over everything. I've been unable to do any damage to it.

One of the trails near me, Lavant has claimed 3 mufflers from me until i switched to cherry bomb and I havent lost a single one since.
Hahahah old cat/muffler were both dry rotted, so I cut them out, and was able to just slide the new pipes in and the other over, and covered the cracks in RTV sealant (high temp one)..works for me, no problems yet haha
Old 07-20-2011, 05:51 PM

for the cherry bomb turbo should i do this size?
2.25'' Inlet/Outlet Diameter
Single Wrapped
3.25'' x 7.75'' Oval
13'' Body Length (17'' Overall)
and use 2.5" pipe
Old 07-20-2011, 07:15 PM
CF Veteran

I just replaced my stock one, so I got an OEM replacement got the info off of that box, gave that one back and used the info to grab the right one. I got mine at pepboys

Sent from my Droid using Cherokee Forum
Old 07-21-2011, 08:36 AM
CF Veteran

Yup thats how to do it.

Now we replaced ours because there was something wrong with the current one. Dont go replacing expecting it to improve performance, only ricer kids think a muffler improves performance.

Dont buy throttle body spacers, CAIs, Performance exhaust, etc. Our motors are just Tractor engines, they'll never be a twin turbo V8 sports car.

Quick Reply: upgrades