Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Unlevel

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2017, 06:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Unlevel

Hello All. So, I had a 3in RC lift installed on my 96 XJ. It's been a few months now so I figure that it's settled as much as it's going to for now. Recently installed a new bumpers front and rear, with a winch in the front. Now, before the bumper and winch installation there was a difference in the height of the front as opposed to the rear. Taking a measurement on level ground, I'm seeing approximately 3/4 of an inch. I like a more level stance. What do ya'll think adding a coil spacer in the front do to my drivetrain? I know that if you go much over a 3 to 3.5 inch lift, a SYE and shorter drive shaft in the back. Would any of this come into play if I added a 1 in spacer in the front? Anybody did this?
Old 08-11-2017, 09:44 PM
CF Veteran

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts
Year: 96 & 88 4 dr Cherokees

that's what they are made for.....
Old 08-12-2017, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by TRCM
that's what they are made for.....
Thanks TRCM! I think I realized the reason they were made. I was just wondering the possible impact on the rest of the drive train. And if I wanted to level it up and have to spend more to keep the drivetrain in line.

Last edited by HITDOGG; 08-12-2017 at 09:09 AM.
Old 08-12-2017, 09:30 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by HITDOGG
Thanks TRCM! I think I realized the reason they were made. I was just wondering the possible impact on the rest of the drive train. And if I wanted to level it up and have to spend more to keep the drivetrain in line.

Didn't really mean it that way....yes, you can use them, and that little bit of lift wont affect anything else enough to matter for squat, especially since you are only regaining height you had before (as in before the winch bumper). The only thing that could be a problem if you max things out off road is shock length, and you can add bumpstops to prevent that issue.

I am kinda in the same boat, as I currently have the jeep sitting pretty much level like I like (36" +/- 1/4" at all 4 corners ground to flare), but I am about to put on shackle relocation brackets, which will lift the rear some, and once I know how far, I have to decide on either another spacer (I have a 1" up front now), or ACOS, to level it out front to rear and side to side (I'm not small in stature, so the drivers side sits a little lower).

Last edited by TRCM; 08-12-2017 at 09:32 AM.
Old 08-12-2017, 10:57 AM

Didn't really mean it that way....yes, you can use them, and that little bit of lift wont affect anything else enough to matter for squat, especially since you are only regaining height you had before (as in before the winch bumper). The only thing that could be a problem if you max things out off road is shock length, and you can add bumpstops to prevent that issue.

I am kinda in the same boat, as I currently have the jeep sitting pretty much level like I like (36" +/- 1/4" at all 4 corners ground to flare), but I am about to put on shackle relocation brackets, which will lift the rear some, and once I know how far, I have to decide on either another spacer (I have a 1" up front now), or ACOS, to level it out front to rear and side to side (I'm not small in stature, so the drivers side sits a little lower).

Are the spacers added in addition to the factory isolators, or do they replace them?
Old 08-12-2017, 12:15 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1986
Engine: 2.5 liter

I just finished doing this very lift and spacers. RC lift and 1" spacers with my new winch and bumper. Worked out perfect. I left the isolators in. You should have favorable results.

I didn't have to change anything else. Your caster, if correct prior to the spacers should still be close. Worst case, you might have to alter the caster a bit.

Happy Jeepin'
Old 08-12-2017, 12:15 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by HITDOGG
Are the spacers added in addition to the factory isolators, or do they replace them?
I used the original isolater plus the spacer. The isolater is a softer rubber for vibes, the spacers is pretty hard.

I did put the spacer against the body, then the isolater, then the spring.

Last edited by TRCM; 08-12-2017 at 12:17 PM.
Old 08-12-2017, 03:51 PM

I used the original isolater plus the spacer. The isolater is a softer rubber for vibes, the spacers is pretty hard.

I did put the spacer against the body, then the isolater, then the spring.

Originally Posted by texastaz38
I just finished doing this very lift and spacers. RC lift and 1" spacers with my new winch and bumper. Worked out perfect. I left the isolators in. You should have favorable results.

I didn't have to change anything else. Your caster, if correct prior to the spacers should still be close. Worst case, you might have to alter the caster a bit.

Happy Jeepin'
​​​​​​Thanks guys, advice is very much appreciated. What brand spacers did you use Texastaz?
Old 08-12-2017, 05:07 PM
Seasoned Member

I'm not sure what brand they were, the spacers, I got them off ebay. I ordered machined aluminum ones. I think they were from Holland, Texas. Somewhere in Texas anyway because I had to pay sales tax. They were like $38. Nice pieces though.
Old 08-12-2017, 05:18 PM
Seasoned Member

Went back and looked on my ebay accountant. The seller was "streetrays". they were $30.90