Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Undercoating Help

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2013, 12:33 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Undercoating Help

So i just bought some new bumpers and there bare metal i would like to put a durable hard undercoating or bed liner finish very agressive. i have undercoated my xj from the lower door line down but this was out of a spray can and its not the agressive texture i would like. Is there any product reccomadations just want to get a better idea of whats out there and what people have had luck with.
Old 02-03-2013, 01:18 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 99
Engine: 4.0

See if you can get some speedliner. They make spray on bed liner and its pretty rugged stuff. Other than that, use a roll on product. I think rustoleum makes some, as well as others.
Old 02-03-2013, 08:56 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0L, brown dog mounts, spectre cowl intake, 10 series flowmaster

Monstaliner is my favorite but its expensive.
Old 02-03-2013, 09:26 PM
Seasoned Member

Any pictures?
Old 02-03-2013, 09:30 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Rust oleum spray on bed liner works awesome! Nice textured finish and holds up very well on bumpers and stuff. I've used it on my roof rack, fender flares, and bumpers. Check out my build thread for pics.
Old 02-04-2013, 06:56 AM
Seasoned Member

That's what I used on my bumpers and side before and in looking for something more aggressive and durable this stuff just faded way to fast
Old 02-04-2013, 07:25 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000 XJ
Engine: 4.8L Stroker

I used plasti-kote on all my stuff. I hate it. I will never use that product again. I had it professionally done and i can chip it off with a small stick. I spend a lot of time spot patching it with other products. I wish I could just have it all stripped off and done with something else. Very disappointed.
Old 02-04-2013, 12:12 PM

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L I6

Raptor liner works great. I will be using either monstaliner or Herculiner for my doors though due to texture differences.

However with that being said, my bumper is flat black rustoleum pro. Easy to spray, great finish, easy to touch up. I highly recommend it.
Old 02-04-2013, 12:19 PM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 89
Engine: 4.0 I6

I did the rustoleum roll on stuff on my sliders, 2 thicken coats. That stuff is tough, but you put the weight of the jeep against it and a rock and its going to scrape straight to bare metal. I would reccommend doing a hammered black spray coating, looks great and the touch up is super easy. If you are doing the beelined route do lots of thin coats if you can manage, wait an hour between coats so it has time to dry a bit.
Old 02-04-2013, 12:34 PM

Year: 1999

Originally Posted by JerrytheJeep
I did the rustoleum roll on stuff on my sliders, 2 thicken coats. That stuff is tough, but you put the weight of the jeep against it and a rock and its going to scrape straight to bare metal. I would reccommend doing a hammered black spray coating, looks great and the touch up is super easy. If you are doing the beelined route do lots of thin coats if you can manage, wait an hour between coats so it has time to dry a bit.
I used Rustoleum hammered spray can on my sliders. I would not do it again. The texture sucks and it seems like it has the same strength as anything else Rustoleum makes. Plus it isn't even a solid black, more like a deep gray/black semi-gloss finish. I touched up a part that I nicked and it didn't blend all that great either.

Go with undercoating or flat and call it a day.
Old 02-04-2013, 03:40 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't use any rattle can bedliner. It's all junk. Herculiner is the best bet for the money. It's so rough I've drawn blood rubbing my leg against it.
Old 02-04-2013, 04:08 PM
CF Veteran

I did herculiner on my old jeeps tub and it came out great. It had a nice texture and was strong. I hear good things about monstaliner to. Once I get done cutting my rear 1/4's up Im going to coat it with 3m professional undercoat from a can. Il let you know how it is. I tested it on cardboard and its nice, but may not be as textured as you want.
Old 02-04-2013, 09:26 PM
Seasoned Member

Thanks for all the replays I have played with almost every undercoating in the can and just don't like the texture I want a more aggressive texture although depending on what one you use they are durable and easy to touch up but al of them fade pretty quickly even with a black gloss and two or three coats of clear all out of the can. Hurculiner I have heard alot of good things about it.
Old 02-09-2013, 06:41 PM
Seasoned Member

Okay so ive done alot of research and it seems like im heading towards herculiner any sugesstions on which kit would be the best i have to cover front and rear bumpers and fenders doors back to quater panels look on my build thread for the pictures of the undercoating i have done im sanding it all off and doing herculiner just not sure what kit or how much to buy
Old 02-09-2013, 10:08 PM
CF Veteran

When I herculined my yj I first bought the small quart container. Opened it up and the stuff was solid. Returned it and got another. Opened it up and it was solid as well. Got my money back and went to a different place. Instead of getting the $30 container I opted for the $100 gallon kit. It came with a real nice roller brush, sander, and some other goodies that make the job easier. I did the whole tub with 3 coats and 2 coats on the rear bumper and only used half the jug. Id get the gallon kit and start there, should be enough to do whatever you want. A buddy of mine even found the gallon kit on sale at an auto parts store for $40! Dont forget to PREP.

Quick Reply: Undercoating Help