Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Two problems with my lift install, help?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2013, 02:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Two problems with my lift install, help?

Hey all. So I'm installing the RC 4.5" kit and I've run into two problems. The first is this. I'm nearly done, but I can't put the shocks in because the axle is too far back, see pic:

Note how the shock doesn't line up with the hole and the spring is cockeyed. How can I move the axle forward to get them to line up?

The second problem is basically a mistake I made - when redrilling the track bar mount I drilled a little lower than I would have liked:

Note how little meat there is on the bottom. Is this unsafe? Should I weld it up and redrill?

Thanks!
Old 07-11-2013, 02:28 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 97
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by Strelok
Hey all. So I'm installing the RC 4.5" kit and I've run into two problems. The first is this. I'm nearly done, but I can't put the shocks in because the axle is too far back, see pic:

Note how the shock doesn't line up with the hole and the spring is cockeyed. How can I move the axle forward to get them to line up?

The second problem is basically a mistake I made - when redrilling the track bar mount I drilled a little lower than I would have liked:

Note how little meat there is on the bottom. Is this unsafe? Should I weld it up and redrill?

Thanks!
First off, just tip the shocks forward to line them up. Everything will straighten out when you set it down on the tires. Second, if you put your track bar in the hole you drilled, its gonna rip the bolt out. Just buy a new track bar. Buying a garbage RC lift is one thing, but being a cheap *** on one of the most important parts of your suspension is ridiculous. I know people will jump on and say "I've run the stock bar on a redrilled bracket for 20 years with ZERO problems". That's all fine and dandy, but it doesn't make it any more intelligent. Buy a good adjustable track bar and call it a day.
Old 07-11-2013, 02:39 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1994
Engine: Inline 6 4.0L High Output

Don't drive it with that track bar installed on that hole. Weld it up and buy an adjustable track bar.
Old 07-11-2013, 02:48 PM

Thanks for the replies... I will weld up and install an adjustable in the stock hole.

As far as getting the shocks to line up - are you saying tip it forward to get the top to go in, then wait till the truck is on the ground to install the bottom hardware?
Old 07-11-2013, 02:51 PM
CF Veteran

Engine: Inline 6 4.0L High Output

Youre over thinking it. Just push the shock toward being directly under the hole then cut the tie wrap. It'll do right in.
Old 07-11-2013, 06:49 PM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0, bolt ons for days...

Originally Posted by 94XjSport94
Youre over thinking it. Just push the shock toward being directly under the hole then cut the tie wrap. It'll do right in.
yup. or put the jeep on the ground. your call.
Old 07-11-2013, 09:01 PM

Thanks - finally got this lift in and the jeep back on the ground. I was able to get the track bar back into the stock hole
Old 07-11-2013, 10:05 PM
Seasoned Member

Thanks - finally got this lift in and the jeep back on the ground. I was able to get the track bar back into the stock hole
I assume this means that your axle is no longer centered under your car.

I have an RC adjustable track bar and would not purchase another one.
Old 07-11-2013, 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by sreeb
I assume this means that your axle is no longer centered under your car.

I have an RC adjustable track bar and would not purchase another one.
Yeah. I'm getting a rusty's adjustable one as soon as I can. The state it's in now is temporary, I'm not driving it anywhere like that.
Old 07-12-2013, 12:15 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When u get the adjustable track bar, make sure you center the axle or u will just have to rip it off and redo it. The guy that put mine on for me (only because I was gone and couldn't do it myself) moved the axle way to the passenger side. So I had to rip mine off and do it right.

So like I said. Make sure your axle is centered lol
Old 07-12-2013, 12:33 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L I6

Thanks!
everythings pretty much been answered but ill throw in my $.02.

first, the axle came forward again once i put the LCA in on mine. if not, ratchet strap it to get the lcas in.

second, i put my shocks in while the jeep was sitting on the ground.

third, as far as the trac bar, either get an adjustable one (smartest thing to do) or get a relocation bracket. thats what i have it works fine but im only on 3-3.5 of lift. so keep that in mind.