Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tweeters that fit factory Infinity trim housings

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2016, 11:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Tweeters that fit factory Infinity trim housings

I just purchased a pair of the small triangular Infinity tweeter housings (without the tweeters) from a fellow CF member, and I'm having trouble finding information on a speaker that has a decent fit in the housing.

I went down to the local car audio shop, and they have set of Hertz components with tweeters that barley fit. First of all, I've never heard of Hertz. Secondly, they were a tad bit overpriced for my liking, and finally, they didn't even come with wiring harnesses. Needless to say, I can get a way better deal ordering stuff online from sites like Crutchfield.

Does anyone know of any component systems that have tweeters which are a direct or somewhat easy fit?
Old 02-23-2016, 12:27 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 2001

I don't know what sizes will fit, but Hertz is an incredible brand, and no, they're not overpriced. Expensive, yes. Overpriced, definitely not. As far as speakers coming with a wiring harness? It's literally two wires with a fused jacket, and you think you need a harness? I would not order speakers or high end equipment from Crutchfield. They're great for basic head unit installs because of the free stuff that comes too and the customer service is awesome, but those benefits go out the door once you know what you're doing. Crutchfield's speakers are usually very overpriced and their selection is extremely limited. I would suggest Sonic Electronix for anything beyond basic head units.

As far as the housings go, I'm afraid you won't find many options that fit. The sail panel housing are incredibly thin, and any tweeter with decent output will be way too deep. The alternative, is to mount them in the door panels. I would suggest these http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...NVX-XSPTW.html. It's the exact same tweeter as a more expensive option from a higher end company, but comes with automotive install equipment. You can flush mount the cups in the door panel.

Might I ask what your goal for this sytem is? Are you building one from scratch or are you just looking to add tweeters to the factory system?
Old 02-24-2016, 02:22 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1,530 Likes on 1,173 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

I always toy about upgrading the stock stereo in my '00 XJ to a better stock stereo. Always on the look out for things to do this. Including the small triangular Infinity tweeter speakers with housings or just the housings themselves. Anyway came across these for a Grand Cherokee and saved them. No idea if they would work, the right size, etc.

Amazon.com : Jeep Grand Cherokee Dash Speakers Tweeters fit all 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 WJ Grand Cherokee JGCParts CTEC sV2 : Electronics Amazon.com : Jeep Grand Cherokee Dash Speakers Tweeters fit all 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 WJ Grand Cherokee JGCParts CTEC sV2 : Electronics

Amazon.com : Pair 2.75" Jeep and Chrysler Replacement Speakers : Vehicle Speakers : Car Electronics Amazon.com : Pair 2.75" Jeep and Chrysler Replacement Speakers : Vehicle Speakers : Car Electronics

Curious as to what you are doing. This is something I might be interested in doing. Adding an Infinity amp? How are you going about that? What parts you are trying to piece together? Stuff like that.
Old 02-24-2016, 08:47 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 2001

Building the stock Infinity system is not worth the time or money. The amp is probably the worst part. Those speakers linked above won't work, since we don't have a dash that will accommodate them. If you really want to add tweeters, I would put them in the door panel. It's a very clean install that frankly looks more factory than any OEM pod I've seen. And without getting into it too much, that's a better place to put tweeters audio wise. The more accessibly priced tweeters generally sound better if they aren't directed straight at your ears, especially when added to a stock system. They would probably be too "bright" and overpowering for the rest of the system if they were at ear level.
Old 02-24-2016, 09:58 AM

Year: 1999

I'm not trying to rebuild the Infinity system. I would like to stick two component speakers set ups in the front. Right now I don't have an amp, so that may be a purchase as well, but I did replace the head unit with a JVC KD-R97MBS. Trying to keep the budget to a minimum and I really don't want to cut into the door panels.

I went to Best Buy and they have some Pioneer components TS-A1606C with 3/4" tweeters that fit a little better than the Hertz tweeter, and the setup is about $50 less. So I may order those from an online vendor. I'll just need to fabricate a way to lock them in.
Old 02-24-2016, 12:41 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1989 Limited
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: I-6 4.0L AMC Renix

Originally Posted by aj2494
I don't know what sizes will fit, but Hertz is an incredible brand, and no, they're not overpriced. Expensive, yes. Overpriced, definitely not. As far as speakers coming with a wiring harness? It's literally two wires with a fused jacket, and you think you need a harness? I would not order speakers or high end equipment from Crutchfield. They're great for basic head unit installs because of the free stuff that comes too and the customer service is awesome, but those benefits go out the door once you know what you're doing. Crutchfield's speakers are usually very overpriced and their selection is extremely limited. I would suggest Sonic Electronix for anything beyond basic head units.

As far as the housings go, I'm afraid you won't find many options that fit. The sail panel housing are incredibly thin, and any tweeter with decent output will be way too deep. The alternative, is to mount them in the door panels. I would suggest these http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...NVX-XSPTW.html. It's the exact same tweeter as a more expensive option from a higher end company, but comes with automotive install equipment. You can flush mount the cups in the door panel.

Might I ask what your goal for this sytem is? Are you building one from scratch or are you just looking to add tweeters to the factory system?
I bought my speakers (set of 4) from crutchfield and am very happy with them. They don't have amazing bass but I bought them with the intention of being mid to high output and a subwoofer for the low end output but I ended up not getting a sub yet. I got them for a final total of $78 with a harness and play attachment and they screwed right in. They are pretty damn good too for what they are. And have tweeters on them. I got my head unit (pioneer DEH-X8600BS) for $68 because it was a display item and I bargained it down to that price and it's amazing. Hands free in an old jeep. But the speakers were great too and I don't need tweeters because they already have them. And they fit stock housing without the tweeters sticking out. For the OP, IMO just get speakers with tweeters and don't waste the time or money trying to figure out how to put tweeters in a piece of housing you have.
Old 02-24-2016, 11:07 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0L I6

If you cannot find anything decent to work, you can always mount some to your non-tweeter inner mirror panel.
Old 02-25-2016, 11:36 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1989 Limited
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: I-6 4.0L AMC Renix

(1989 Xj Limited that had the Jensen audio stock system) While I'm here, is it possible to wire in normal speakers using the wiring that was for the tweeters that are mounted on the knee panel on the dash? I can take pics later of what it looks like. Of course it will have to be mounted differently but will normal speakers work with the tweeter wiring?
Old 02-25-2016, 12:14 PM
Beach Bum

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Year: 2000 WJ
Model: Grand Cherokee

Originally Posted by LiamLikeNeeson
(1989 Xj Limited that had the Jensen audio stock system) While I'm here, is it possible to wire in normal speakers using the wiring that was for the tweeters that are mounted on the knee panel on the dash? I can take pics later of what it looks like. Of course it will have to be mounted differently but will normal speakers work with the tweeter wiring?
I found the empty wire harness for the dash tweeters in my 1996. Hooked up a small full range speaker and it seemed to only produce the higher frequencies, like the line has a HPF on it, high pass filter.
Old 02-25-2016, 12:45 PM
Beach Bum

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Year: 2000 WJ
Model: Grand Cherokee

Originally Posted by L2daGee
I just purchased a pair of the small triangular Infinity tweeter housings (without the tweeters) from a fellow CF member, and I'm having trouble finding information on a speaker that has a decent fit in the housing.
Will have to remove tweeter from its housing to fit inside the Infinity housings.

Originally Posted by Metmknice
If you cannot find anything decent to work, you can always mount some to your non-tweeter inner mirror panel.
I did that for a while, works good with quality tweeters.
Attached Thumbnails Tweeters that fit factory Infinity trim housings-dsc05011.jpg