Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turbo 4.0 question!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 09:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1992
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 HO
Default Turbo 4.0 question!!!

Hey guys I have been seriously thanking about turbo charging my 4.0. I have messed with turbos before but not so much with gas engines (mostly diesels). All I want is 5 or 6 psi and all I really need to know (and cant find a yes or no answer to) is will I need to tune the ecu or will it compensate for the extra 5 or 6 psi as long as I dont go over that amount of boost?? I have found some guys that say yes it will compensate and found where some guys say you need to tune it. So has anyone out there just stuck one on to see what happins? All I want is a reliable daily driver like it is now but with a tad more power and mpgs!! Any help appreciated thanks!
Old 03-23-2011, 09:36 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 89
Engine: 4.0

theres a lot more to it than making it fit. search around on pirate 4x4 theres a few xj guys there who have actually done it. as far as i know all of us on this forum talk the crap but dont actually have a turbo'ed xj
Old 03-23-2011, 09:47 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: '99
Engine: 4.o

Be ready to spend a lot of cash. A stroker motor might be a better way for more power.
Old 03-23-2011, 09:52 PM

Year: 1990
Engine: I6

I'm almost positive you will have to tune. But how? With a standalone (AEM) or are the piggybacks available?
Old 03-23-2011, 09:53 PM

Year: 1989

turbo? easy, if its OBD 2, a piggyback tuner like Megasquirt, does the job just fine. you need to know what you are doing when you tune though, if you don't you can ruin the engine fast.

go 5 or less psi, that way you can use the stock head gasket. Larger injectors are a good idea and a lot more stuff.... oh and about 2 grand to get it done.
Old 03-23-2011, 09:57 PM

Year: 1990
Engine: I6

Well according to his profile he has a 92. So what can he use?
Old 03-23-2011, 10:02 PM
Former Sponsor

Year: 89

Here....

quit asking people questions... shut up and read ...

http://images.pirate4x4.com/forum/sh...light=xj+turbo

LOL
Old 03-24-2011, 07:17 AM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 92

Originally Posted by rocko
I'm almost positive you will have to tune. But how? With a standalone (AEM) or are the piggybacks available?
i use a Splitsecond controller for all the supercharged JK's we build.

it is IMO one of the best ways ive found to tune by RPM/Boost and yet keep driveability and out of boost conditions like factory. will work with obd1 and obd2 systems easy.

along with a MSD boost retard box for the ignition timing
Old 03-24-2011, 08:02 AM

Thanks guys I really appreciate it!! N20jeep how many of these kits have you installed?
Old 03-24-2011, 09:07 AM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 92

Originally Posted by CantKillIt
Thanks guys I really appreciate it!! N20jeep how many of these kits have you installed?
4 superchargers on the jk's
Old 03-24-2011, 09:31 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by CantKillIt
Hey guys I have been seriously thanking about turbo charging my 4.0. I have messed with turbos before but not so much with gas engines (mostly diesels). All I want is 5 or 6 psi and all I really need to know (and cant find a yes or no answer to) is will I need to tune the ecu or will it compensate for the extra 5 or 6 psi as long as I dont go over that amount of boost?? I have found some guys that say yes it will compensate and found where some guys say you need to tune it. So has anyone out there just stuck one on to see what happins? All I want is a reliable daily driver like it is now but with a tad more power and mpgs!! Any help appreciated thanks!
the answer is yes you have to tune it and the more management you provide, the better your chances are at keeping it together. Who ever said the stock ECU can handle it is lying to you or has no idea what they are talking about. you MIGHT could get away with dropping base timing, installing a piggyback fuel controller (like an Apexi SAFC), run low amounts of boost on a small displacment turbo, drop a heat range in your plugs, always run premium, and NEVER take your eyes off the wideband but you are really running the gauntlet by doing this on a daily without an extensive knowledge base. I've boosted numerous engines and managed a few high hp setups and can tell you that an early demise is most oftentimes due to an ill conceived setup. I don't mean to insult you but there is a very real reason why people don't just turbo their engines.
Old 03-24-2011, 10:13 AM

Ok so my best bet is gona be tuning. I know of a place in Garner NC called R.P.M Motorsports, I will give them a call and see how much they will charge to tune it for me. They have a dyno and I have seen them work on new camaros and stuff they do good work.
Old 03-24-2011, 10:30 AM
CF Veteran

that call won't do you any good b/c they won't know what the tunning interface will be. Most tuners are comfortable with only a few different types of control systems. Not to mention they tune what you bring them, its your build, they're just mapping it.
Old 03-24-2011, 11:08 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0HO

Originally Posted by A_Jeepr
turbo? easy, if its OBD 2, a piggyback tuner like Megasquirt, does the job just fine. you need to know what you are doing when you tune though, if you don't you can ruin the engine fast.

go 5 or less psi, that way you can use the stock head gasket. Larger injectors are a good idea and a lot more stuff.... oh and about 2 grand to get it done.
Megasquirt is NOT a piggy back, it is a stand alone...

PSI on a turbo does not mean anything...

5 PSI on a GT35R is WAY more air than 5 psi on a t25

it is not that turbo PSI that blows the headgasket, it is the pinging from a **** poor tune...

you are just repeating stuff you have heard... honestly there is little to NO facts in what you are saying...

I am gonna guess you have NEVER built a turbo setup on your own
Old 03-24-2011, 11:10 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0HO

Originally Posted by s14unimog
the answer is yes you have to tune it and the more management you provide, the better your chances are at keeping it together. Who ever said the stock ECU can handle it is lying to you or has no idea what they are talking about. you MIGHT could get away with dropping base timing, installing a piggyback fuel controller (like an Apexi SAFC), run low amounts of boost on a small displacment turbo, drop a heat range in your plugs, always run premium, and NEVER take your eyes off the wideband but you are really running the gauntlet by doing this on a daily without an extensive knowledge base. I've boosted numerous engines and managed a few high hp setups and can tell you that an early demise is most oftentimes due to an ill conceived setup. I don't mean to insult you but there is a very real reason why people don't just turbo their engines.
listen to this guy he speaks the truth!

Quick Reply: Turbo 4.0 question!!!