Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

tuff rigs D30 kit

Old 08-04-2014, 09:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default tuff rigs D30 kit

Anyone seen this?

I know its flat stock but for 65 bucks I cant hardly by the steel and have it sheered for that. I'm wanting mainly something to brace my passenger UCA bracket.
Old 08-04-2014, 10:57 PM
CF Veteran

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 93 2 door
Engine: 4.0

Can't really tell from the pics, but it looks like you could easily make those tabs out of scrap steel. The "truss" isn't worth the cost of welding materials. And I'm a big fan of cutting the lower mounts off and replacing them completely with ruffstuff brackets

It's not a kit I would order
Old 08-05-2014, 12:22 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1988

Originally Posted by Atmos
Can't really tell from the pics, but it looks like you could easily make those tabs out of scrap steel. The "truss" isn't worth the cost of welding materials. And I'm a big fan of cutting the lower mounts off and replacing them completely with ruffstuff brackets

Hate to steal this thread but it is on topic.
i already replaced one dana 30 because of bent outer C's. And on my new one I can see the axle tube bowing, when floor jacked by the tube, where the tube connects to the diff housing. Makes me cringe!
What truss do you recommend?
I'm thinking about artec industries truss paired with iron rock (good price) C gussets
Old 08-05-2014, 12:26 AM

Year: 1998

Artec is definitely the best truss for the price, and synergy (or poly performance) have a reasonably priced c brace/gusset if you don't want to or don't have the means to fab your own
Old 08-05-2014, 12:44 AM
CF Veteran

Artec is great. Honestly I don't think I'd spend the money on a truss for a D30. The odds of you bending a D30 housing aren't too high. You'd have to be jumping it or aiming for big potholes. And if you plan on driving it thy hard you're gonna need a lot more than a truss. Although I'm sure plenty of people will tell you a truss is a good upgrade, stop housing flex, etc. eh. I'll take my chances. But for $100 artec is shweeet

Bending your LCA's when rock crawling? That's inevitable. I recommend you do those for sure
Old 08-05-2014, 09:08 PM

Year: 2001
Engine: I-6

Dang it 88 make your own C gussets !! Im doing mine soon . Plate steel and a torch , me im using 3/16 for mine and cutting them out with an angle grinder .
I made my own pass side upper arm gusset already.
As for the floor jack on the pass side axle tube I wont even jack my F250 with a Dana 60 up on the pass side axle tube.

Last edited by Aljay; 08-05-2014 at 09:11 PM.
Old 08-08-2014, 05:05 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1988

Artec is great. Honestly I don't think I'd spend the money on a truss for a D30. The odds of you bending a D30 housing aren't too high. You'd have to be jumping it or aiming for big potholes. And if you plan on driving it thy hard you're gonna need a lot more than a truss. Although I'm sure plenty of people will tell you a truss is a good upgrade, stop housing flex, etc. eh. I'll take my chances. But for $100 artec is shweeet

Bending your LCA's when rock crawling? That's inevitable. I recommend you do those for sure
Okay thanks

Originally Posted by Aljay
Dang it 88 make your own C gussets !! Im doing mine soon . Plate steel and a torch , me im using 3/16 for mine and cutting them out with an angle grinder .
I made my own pass side upper arm gusset already.
As for the floor jack on the pass side axle tube I wont even jack my F250 with a Dana 60 up on the pass side axle tube.
Lol if I had the means to make my own I would!
Old 08-11-2014, 07:01 PM

Hey guys, we have been to Moab, all over Colorado, and wheeled our dana 30 in Midwest for about 2 years. Here is what we got on our dana 30 just so everyone is aware of what we run and how hard we run it. 1999 dana 30 high pinion axle. We have 760x u joints in stock axle shafts with welded bearing caps. Our truss kit we run, with iron rock offroad sleeves and alloy axle seals. A Limited slip With 35 inch tires. We have ran this set up for 2 years wheeling all over the country and have not had 1 issue with our axle. We periodically check over the rig after we wheel, so everything is check over. In Moab we wheeled for a week doing 3 trails rated 6-7 and 2 trails at a 3-4, and only blew up a rear driveshaft. Our dana 30 has survived over 2 years of abuse, and still drives down the highway at 70 like a Cadillac... Our truss kit is geared torwards the weekend warriors who are on a budget. 1/4 steel precision laser cut for a perfect fit.

Last edited by tuffrigsoffroad; 08-11-2014 at 07:04 PM.
Old 08-11-2014, 07:25 PM

Year: 1999

Thanks for sharing everyone. I'd like a link to the truss or some pics if someone could.
Old 08-11-2014, 07:28 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by tuffrigsoffroad
just so everyone is aware of what we run and how hard we run it.
this is subjective, no? video evidence to help spread awareness?

adding steel is going to add strength of course. we were arguing the merit of a kit like yours vs something like artec for just a little more $$ or skipping your kit altogether and getting along just fine with some LCA brackets
http://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com/catalog/30ALB0.html
Old 08-11-2014, 09:11 PM

We're not trying to sell anyone on here our truss kits by any means atmos. And we don't use scrap metal either. Our a36 steel comes from rustic metal works in Denmark, wi and is ordered in sheets, precision cut with a water jet to fit the dana 30 axle for the years and models we list. There are a lot of good truss kits out there and for around 100.00 what most cost, it's a great investment to add to your dana 30. Considering I've seen twisted dana 30 axle tubes, bent axle tubes, cracked, you name it.. But I def. suggest trussing sleeving, and gusseting the dana 30. For a couple hundred dollars it's money well spent. I would also weld up the axle tubes that press into your axle housing as well with either strengthening or replacing your lower control arm mounts. I've seen newer jk dana 30 control arm mounts rip right off, causing serious damage to the front axle by bending the axle tubes, and cracking the axle housing. So I agree with you 100 percent to strengthen the control arm mounts. We custom strengthened ours, but there are alot of really good aftermarket control arm mounts and truss kit out there.

Last edited by tuffrigsoffroad; 08-11-2014 at 09:14 PM.
Old 08-12-2014, 01:07 AM
CF Veteran

well sir I wish you the best in business and many a sale
Old 08-12-2014, 07:19 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

^Agree^
Old 08-12-2014, 07:23 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

LCA Skids added as soon as my HD Adj LCA's a no brainer and cheap, welded no bolt-on ones IMHO.
Old 08-12-2014, 11:22 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 2000

I just finished welding an Artec truss and inner C braces and they're really nice! super beefy. I would highly recommend Artec to anyone.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: tuff rigs D30 kit