Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

trail master lift advice/ questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2014, 08:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: I6
Default trail master lift advice/ questions

Ok guys so I have been searching countless lift threads for the past couple weeks and I think I have decided to go with the 3 in lift kit from trail master. It includes full leafs, springs, shocks and ubolts. For about 480$. For another 100 bucks I can get lca and sway bar relocation brackets.

My questions are should I spend the extra cash and get the lca or should I get adjustables? Should I run the stock uca or should those be replaced as well. Also, the real question is, is there anything else I need on top of this kit to make it complete? From what I've read you don't need much upgrading with a 3in lift but I just want to make sure that I have everything to get the best quality ride at that height.

I do plan on getting an adjustable tie rod or one from a v8 zj.

If anyone has this kit or similar lift please comment, post pics and give advice.

Thanks in advance!

Oh btw I have a stock white 96 xj auto, c8.25rear d30(I believe).

Here's the link to the kit with the lcas... http://www.trailmastersuspension.com/Lift-Kits-Suspensions-Shocks/3-0-Inch-Lift-Kit-with-Rear-Leaf-Springs.aspx?t_c=1&t_s=38&t_pt=3533&t_pn=T%2fMTM37 30-40043
Old 05-18-2014, 09:27 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001

When I was looking I ended up with the RE 3.5 Superride kit. I would suggest looking at it. I went on the trailmaster website and wasn't impressed with the kit. With RE you get beefier springs, shocks, swaybar links and lca's. Mind you it is a little more expensive but you get what you pay for. Probably the best kit would be a OME.
With 3" of lift you probably don't need adjustable lca. I haven't changed my uca and probably never will.
Anytime you lift at least 3" you may end up with driveline vibs, you won't know until you get lift installed. I know my RE kit said that I may or may not have vib issues. Ended up putting in a SYE and driveshaft. Mind you my kit worked out to be closer to 4.25" of lift.
Do you plan on wheeling your XJ hard, is it a weekend warrior daily driver? Can be a factor for you lift decision.

Last edited by CanXJ; 05-18-2014 at 09:48 PM.
Old 05-18-2014, 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by CanXJ
When I was looking I ended up with the RE 3.5 Superride kit. I would suggest looking at it. I went on the trailmaster website and wasn't impressed with the kit. With RE you get beefier springs, shocks, swaybar links and lca's. Mind you it is a little more expensive but you get what you pay for. Probably the best kit would be a OME.

I agree with you on the quality of RE and OME. I read that with RE you actually get more lift then what is stated. Can you justify that? Also did you have to add anything else besides what the kit came with? Ex: sye/h&t, brake line ext. Etc...?

For some reason I didn't see the 2nd half of that response. So nvm haha Thanks for the info! Are you satisfied with your lift?

Last edited by husky_wolf; 05-18-2014 at 09:47 PM. Reason: dummy me
Old 05-18-2014, 09:59 PM

Do you plan on wheeling your XJ hard, is it a weekend warrior daily driver? Can be a factor for you lift decision.
I don't plan on wheeling too hard, more like trail riding on rough terrain and the occasional mud. I plan to use as my outdoors rig for when i go camping or caving. But as far as climbing mountains (rock crawling) I don't intend too. Lol Its a second vehicle for me that I like to drive more than my DD haha
Old 05-18-2014, 10:15 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by husky_wolf
I don't plan on wheeling too hard, more like trail riding on rough terrain and the occasional mud. I plan to use as my outdoors rig for when i go camping or caving. But as far as climbing mountains (rock crawling) I don't intend too. Lol Its a second vehicle for me that I like to drive more than my DD haha
From the sounds of it the trailmaster kit may suit your needs. I would say you don't need adjustable lca, nor replace uca. I like my RE kit. I wheel it pretty hard on weekends and use it as my daily driver, no complaints so far.
Old 05-18-2014, 10:45 PM

From the sounds of it the trailmaster kit may suit your needs. I would say you don't need adjustable lca, nor replace uca. I like my RE kit. I wheel it pretty hard on weekends and use it as my daily driver, no complaints so far.
Who knows what I plan on doing once I get off road. I guess I might have to be the one to test out this kit since no one seems to run it. (Wish me luck)!
I do have future plans for a bigger lift along with mods galore. But that will all come with time. I'm in Alaska right now for work for another week but once I get back home intake mod, injectors and tune up are first on my list.
Old 05-18-2014, 11:36 PM
Banned

Good luck with upgrades. If you plan on upgrading later on i would go with one of the better kits. " you can pay me now or pay me later" LOL.
Old 05-25-2014, 08:57 PM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Hello!! i ended up going with the exact trailmaster kit your looking at. couldnt find much info on it either but the price was right so i went for it. I couldnt be more happy with it. rides only "slightly" more rough then stock which is a big deal to me. and when i say slightly id be willing to bet that someone thats never been in a cherokee would assume they come from the factory like this. I've installed a 4.5 zone kit, 6.5 short arm rough country, and a 3inch Iron Rock inna grand cherokee and id say the trailmaster is just as good as the IRO kit as far as quality. (kinda hard to tell cause as far as ride quality the grand cherokees have the regular ones beat reguardless.) only thing is i had drive line vibe but solved it with a transfer case drop kit. The Trailmaster kit is more of a 4inch kit and raised the back up more then the front by about .75 inches. eventually ill get spring spacers and an adj. track bar but the kit comes complete in terms of getting back on the road. everything else you can install later on. as one person said, the RE kit has "better" springs but unless your weighing the front down with a bumper winch and other goodies they might be to stiff. its really all based on what your looking for and what you intend to do. my cherokee is a daily driver and id buy the kit again inna heartbeat and recommend it to anyone. DONT!!! make the same mistake i did and buy itfrom 4wheelparts.com worst experience ive ever had with a company. said 3-5 days shipped. took 3 weeks. customer service was terrible, (one guy straight up hung up on me) no tracking number, didnt tell me it was backordered, came with the wrong u bolts. it was a total disaster. Good luck with whatever you go for!!
Old 05-26-2014, 07:40 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

The Rustys Off Road kit is a better kit than the Trailmaster for sure, saw one a friend replaced on his. Rustys has better springs and coils mine have been on now for going on 2 yrs. and 0 sag.

A good thing to have are Adj. Lower Control arms and an Adj. Trackbar both. You may need a Transfer Case drop kit cheap. I also have the ZJ steering upgrade on mine.

This photo is with a 3" lift and even Rustys shocks.

Name:  JeepafterTirecarrierbumper004_zpsfe31e62a.jpg
Views: 1914
Size:  93.9 KB

Here it is at 4 1/2" still using the Rustys springs but Bilstein shocks among many other upgrades.

Name:  Jeep3-29-14026_zpsb3d98b62.jpg
Views: 1849
Size:  77.1 KB

Here is a front shot with upgrades steering, shocks, trackbar, Adj. U & L Control Arms, LCA Skids, Sway Bar Disconnect

Name:  Jeep3-29-14023_zpscdb1ae5a.jpg
Views: 1853
Size:  86.8 KB
Name:  Jeep3-29-14022_zps7270f226.jpg
Views: 1899
Size:  69.6 KB
Old 05-26-2014, 12:57 PM

[QUOTE=Fred/N0AZZ;2865733]The Rustys Off Road kit is a better kit than the Trailmaster for sure, saw one a friend replaced on his. Rustys has better springs and coils mine have been on now for going on 2 yrs. and 0 sag.

A good thing to have are Adj. Lower Control arms and an Adj. Trackbar both. You may need a Transfer Case drop kit cheap. I also have the ZJ steering upgrade on mine.

This photo is with a 3" lift and even Rustys shocks.

Name:  JeepafterTirecarrierbumper004_zpsfe31e62a.jpg
Views: 2948
Size:  93.9 KB

Here it is at 4 1/2" still using the Rustys springs but Bilstein shocks among many other upgrades.

Name:  Jeep3-29-14026_zpsb3d98b62.jpg
Views: 2234
Size:  77.1 KB

Here is a front shot with upgrades steering, shocks, trackbar, Adj. U & L Control Arms, LCA Skids, Sway Bar Disconnect

Name:  Jeep3-29-14023_zpscdb1ae5a.jpg
Views: 1938
Size:  86.8 KB
Name:  Jeep3-29-14022_zps7270f226.jpg
Views: 1997
Size:  69.6 KB[/QUOTE
First , let me start by saying that is one nice rig! Secondly, I've heard a lot of mixed reviews on rusty products ( more bad then good unfortunately). I did make the effort to go see what they had to offer. Honestly, I was impressed with their 3in advance kit and all that it include but then I saw the shipping costs! A little steep for such a small lift, for me at least. If the product works great for you then more power to you. I've never owned any of their product's so I can't comment on thier quality. But enough reviews and that price just do not sit well for me. I do appreciate your response as well as the pics of your awesome jeep! If anyone else has this kit come forward! I'd like to hear more reviews B-)
Old 05-26-2014, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by thewhitestripes
Hello!! i ended up going with the exact trailmaster kit your looking at. couldnt find much info on it either but the price was right so i went for it. I couldnt be more happy with it. rides only "slightly" more rough then stock which is a big deal to me. and when i say slightly id be willing to bet that someone thats never been in a cherokee would assume they come from the factory like this. I've installed a 4.5 zone kit, 6.5 short arm rough country, and a 3inch Iron Rock inna grand cherokee and id say the trailmaster is just as good as the IRO kit as far as quality. (kinda hard to tell cause as far as ride quality the grand cherokees have the regular ones beat reguardless.) only thing is i had drive line vibe but solved it with a transfer case drop kit. The Trailmaster kit is more of a 4inch kit and raised the back up more then the front by about .75 inches. eventually ill get spring spacers and an adj. track bar but the kit comes complete in terms of getting back on the road. everything else you can install later on. as one person said, the RE kit has "better" springs but unless your weighing the front down with a bumper winch and other goodies they might be to stiff. its really all based on what your looking for and what you intend to do. my cherokee is a daily driver and id buy the kit again inna heartbeat and recommend it to anyone. DONT!!! make the same mistake i did and buy itfrom 4wheelparts.com worst experience ive ever had with a company. said 3-5 days shipped. took 3 weeks. customer service was terrible, (one guy straight up hung up on me) no tracking number, didnt tell me it was backordered, came with the wrong u bolts. it was a total disaster. Good luck with whatever you go for!!
Thanks! Finally someone who actually has the kit lol I'm assuming the rear is a little higher to compensate for any settling. Also, how long have you had the kit installed? And what rear do you have... I'm have the Chrysler 8.25. How is the handling on/off road, high speeds etc ... Which t case drop kit did you use?

Any pics?
Old 05-26-2014, 06:04 PM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Wait till you see some posts on the Trailmaster, check several forums. 90+% of what you hear about Rustys is from people who have never owned a single piece of his equipment. A couple of guys have had issues as with most every vendor out there. I asked for anyone to post some photos of the "Junk" Rustys parts, guess how many replied back..ZERO!

You seem to have things figured out so good luck on your lift.
Old 05-27-2014, 03:32 AM

Originally Posted by Fred/N0AZZ
Wait till you see some posts on the Trailmaster, check several forums. 90+% of what you hear about Rustys is from people who have never owned a single piece of his equipment. A couple of guys have had issues as with most every vendor out there. I asked for anyone to post some photos of the "Junk" Rustys parts, guess how many replied back..ZERO!

You seem to have things figured out so good luck on your lift.

You may be right. Like I said I can't comment on the quality of rustys products because I have never owned. If you believe that its a great kit then I'm glad it works for you. I havent made a decison on my lift, still doing research on all kits. Didn't mean to offend anyone over a post.
Old 05-27-2014, 04:29 AM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by husky_wolf
Thanks! Finally someone who actually has the kit lol I'm assuming the rear is a little higher to compensate for any settling. Also, how long have you had the kit installed? And what rear do you have... I'm have the Chrysler 8.25. How is the handling on/off road, high speeds etc ... Which t case drop kit did you use?

Any pics?
yea i have the 8.25 too. i really cant compare it to anything else cause this is the first jeep ive owned. (the other 3 where my close friends) that being said i havent had any issues with it. It seems pretty solid offroad. ive only had the kit installed for a week so far, no issues yet. and itll do 75-80mph no problem which is pretty good for a lifted jeep IMO. it actually feels more stable at high speeds then stock. i think cause my shocks were shot. the zone lift felt very unstable over 65. same with the RC lift. and i dont even know the brand of the T-case drop kit. my friend just had it laying around so he just gave it to me. some no name im sure. i think all T-case drop kit are about the same just go with the cheapest you can find. ive even seen guys use 1 inch think square tubing. seemed to work out ok
Old 06-07-2014, 10:21 PM

Thought I'd throw an update on here. I ended going with a 3in zone lift with full leafs. Also ordered some lcas, thanks for the help guys!

Quick Reply: trail master lift advice/ questions