Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Track bar upper mount please help guys

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2012, 04:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: I6 XD
Default Track bar upper mount please help guys

OK so here is skinny.

01 cherokee 2 inches of lift. I just changed out my factory track bar to the rough country 1.5"-4.5" adjustable one. Now there is a very loud popping and banging sound when i turn.

I have been able to narrow this down to both the upper track bar mount hole being loose AND the lower track bar mount hole being worn and egged out.

To alleviate this i plan to order this http://www.ironrockoffroad.com/Merch...egory_Code=PFX to eliminate the upper mount as ever being a problem again.
But as to the lower mount being egged i have a MAJOR problem
Im currently using the rusty's steering conversion which as part of the conversion forces you to use a very flat headed bolt in the lower track bar mount so that the straight tie rod doesnt collide with it.

If i drill out the lower track bar hole and put in a larger diameter bolt and bushing how can i prevent the tie rod from hitting it? Is there a way of moving the tie rod forward (away from axle)? Im imagining somehting like an offset tie rod end.

Thanks for the time guys
Old 10-24-2012, 04:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee

The first thing that comes to mind for me would be have a mechanic you trust and have them weld/fill the hole in then re-drill the hole to be the right size for the track bar bolt. I would guess it to be about an hours worth of shop labor so about $70-$100 depending on where you take it.

There may be better options out there but if you go to a larger diameter bolt it's not going to fit through the bushings on the RC track bar.