Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Track bar removal

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2013, 07:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1992
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L HO
Default Track bar removal

92 Cherokee Laredo, 4.5" lift, 35" BFG AT

So, I've been hearing a hard thunk with every pebble in the road, for the last week or so. I noticed it sounded as if it were getting worse a 3 days ago, and I climbed under it to have a look. Everything is tight except the track bar has about 1/2" play up and down at the frame, so I made the decision to change the track bar bushings.

About the time I made this decision, my front left caliper froze up, and due to the area I was in, I had to clamp the line, bleed it off and drive it home. It drove straight and clean until I was about 5 miles from home and I hit a bump and experienced my first death wobble. Went today and bought the caliper, pads, and decided on a new front track bar so I bought it instead of the Moog bushings.

Caliper was a quick project, and I proceeded to disassemble the track bar, but I can't get the dang thing loose. everything under there is in a bind, and it's driving me nuts. any tips on easing the tension? The cotter pin broke on the top one, and the frame end is in a bind, so the bolt wont come close to sliding out. I don't have access to heat, so burning it is out of the question. Ant help would be greatly appreciated. I have to finish it this weekend for a 100 mile drive to the jobsite on Mon morning.

Sorry this is so long. I'm sure I probably still left important info out. I'm just flipping out a little because we've got rain and thunderstorms coming all weekend and my garage is the back yard.
Old 03-09-2013, 09:58 AM

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0

idk maybe try to put a rachet strap from the axle to the frame and pull the body over to relive the pressure on the track bar
Old 03-09-2013, 10:11 AM
Cherokee Forum Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1998

is the jeep sitting on the coils and axle or do you have the jeep suspended and the axle just hangin? If you have your axle hanging then that is what is causing the track bar to bind. Put the jeep on its own weight and then the track bar shouldnt be binding any more.

For the castle nut and pin, soak that thing with PB blaster or WD40 so you can get the nut loose. While you are waiting for it to soak in, grab some sharp wire cutters, side cutters, dykes, whatever you want to call them. And cut that cotter pin out of there.
Old 03-09-2013, 11:40 AM

Couldn't get anything to budge, couldn't even get the bracket off, because the dang thing is welded to the frame. So, I cut the bolts. Track bar is out, but now my issue is the mounting bolt on the frame end, won't push out, up and through.
Old 03-09-2013, 11:42 AM

Just had an idiots epiphany. last time I did this, I went about it the same way. I HAVE to get the nut off the top, because it won't push up. it has to go down. crap
Old 03-09-2013, 11:48 AM
Cherokee Forum Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1998

Yea... It's a tapered tie rod end. You just made it a whole lot harder to get off by cutting the shank.
Old 03-09-2013, 01:12 PM

And it sure as hell ain't pressing out from the top.
Old 03-09-2013, 03:21 PM

This exact same thing happened to me. I was fortunate enough to be able to take the bracket off and take it to a shop. They put an air hammer on it from the top and knocked it out in 15 seconds. I believe your last option is drilling a hole through that f***er and it's a pain.
Old 03-09-2013, 03:47 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 2.5 4 cyl.

Quick question.. Do you have the stock track bar on your jeep right now? Or are we talking an adjustable track bar?