Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Track bar question!??!?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2014, 08:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1984
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 2.5L I-4
Default Track bar question!??!?!?!

Okay all- I just got a ZONE 4.5" lift and it says to unbolt the track bar, move 3/4" towards the drivers side, drill a hole and re-use the stock bolt.... My bolt is seized and doesn't even have the tab coming down from the nut. The nut is welded inside the little box that the track bar is mounted in... I am thinking about drilling the old bolt out and buying new hardware... My question is: do I really have to move the track bar? Can I leave it in the stock position? Sorry if this is a stupid question- I am new new new new new to this.

Thanks in advance,

-Seth
Old 10-06-2014, 08:55 PM

Year: 1994
Engine: 4.6L Stroker

I suggest getting a New Adjustable Track bar. Specially a 4.5" Lift you will need an adjustable one. I suggest going with either a Rubicon Express RE1660/1665/1670 or IRO Double Sheer Setup so you have some beef that you won't have to worry about upgrading later on down the road when you get the greed for bigger tires. plus its only $190-230ish upgrade and its worth every penny. Personally I suggest for full on beef go with the Rubicon Express way via amazon and if you wanna still have some good beef and save a few bucks go IRO. (Iron Rock Offroad)
Old 10-06-2014, 10:05 PM

I would get the adjustable my brother did the drill thing on his Tj and the steering has been really bad ever since. I skipped all that and went straight to adjustable. I think you can leave it stock (it was left stock on my last cherokee. Not my doing) but your axle will be pulled way over not recommended.
Old 10-07-2014, 07:49 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Yes you do need to relocate the track bar with that lift.........But I would not do so I would buy a better quality Dbl. Shear Adj. Track Bar for sure with a 4 1/2" lift.

I have a 4 1/2" also and use a Dbl. Shear Adj. as well, I would never use the stock track bar and just re-drill on mine.

JMHO and YMMV
Old 10-07-2014, 03:47 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have installed new aftermarket track bars, just about every brand and make. And re-drilled a ton of them moving the hole over.

On my own i have a lower relocation bracket that drops the track bar down and over. I bolted and welded it into place. Drilled the stock track bar out to 1/2" and the new bracket using a hardened half inch bolt. Been running it wheeling and a daily for two years now without a problem.

Is it the best? Doubt it. But it works great and is reliable. And to me that is what counts.
Old 10-09-2014, 08:44 AM

Year: 1984
Engine: 2.5L I-4

Hey y'all, thanks for the great input! I'll be re-using my stock bar to get home this weekend, but once back here in KS, I will be ordering an adjustable!!!!

You know what I struggled with yesterday?? Getting the stupid front axle aligned to install new lower control arms... BLAH!!!

Today Im wrapping up the front (shocks, track bar install, steering re-install), dropping the t-case 1.5", and starting/finishing the rear (everything, add a leaf, shackles, shocks) so I can leave for TX tomorrow morning!!!!

Reminds me slightly of the Mud Everyday channel on YouTube, or even Roadkill haha.

Again- thanks for the input!!!!!