Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Track Bar Death Wobble?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2018, 09:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Model: Cherokee
Default Track Bar Death Wobble?

Recently had my jeep lifted to accommodate new exhaust setup. Disclaimer: I've been traveling a lot for work and wasn't going to have time to install the lift myself, so I had the shop that did the exhaust do the lift. Nothing extreme. Just a 3" RC kit to hold me over until I can upgrade to a metalcloak setup.

Got it back and had death wobble only when hitting a bump at 55+. Realized they hadn't replaced the track bar and that my axle was off by 1.5inches to the driver's side. Picked up a Rusty's adjustable track bar and took it back to have them install it. Now the track bar is off 1/2inch to the passenger's side. Shoddy workmanship, I know. I haven't had time or a place to work to adjust it myself and I'm still getting horrible death wobble only after a bump at 55+. All my other steering components seem to be fine.

Could the slight axle offset from the track bar needing adjusted be the cause of my death wobble? Or should I be prepped to tackle my other steering components once it's corrected?
Old 09-05-2018, 02:35 PM
CF Veteran

Received 333 Likes on 277 Posts
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0L

If its 1/2" off to the passenger side, why not adjust it 1/2" to the drivers side? Just thinking aloud there. Im not into lifting my rides. When was the last time it was aligned? Is there a lot of slop in the steering? The brace behind the steering box can crack, throwing things off a bit. Have you checked the bushings, balljoints, tierod ends? Did the shop check the trackbar mounting hole on the axle? If that was out round, the axle will shift on you, and you will end of with death wobble. Could be anything.
Old 09-05-2018, 04:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's the plan for this weekend.

Everything was aligned and all the other steering components checked and seem to be in good working order. Hadn't thought about the brace behind the steering box.