Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trac Bar bracket

Old 02-03-2011, 12:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2k
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Trac Bar bracket

I'm now planning on getting JCR 1-ton OTK steering upgrade and from what i searched and read was I'm going to need to relocate my trac bar to keep the angle in line with the drag link . I have a Full Traction LA lift and it came with a frame side trac bar bracket. I will be getting an axle mount track bar mount from Ballistic Fab(regular or offset?) and I want to know what some of you have used as your trac bar(home fab or bought) I'm not sure what else i would need. From the looks of it i will not be able to use my current trac bar with the mount relocated above the axle. Can someone steer me to where i can get the correct track bar.
Old 02-03-2011, 02:47 PM

NVM...I think I will get some DOM and heims from ballistic fab as well and make one that fits. IDK why i was making this harder than it is. My mind went blank.
Old 02-03-2011, 08:14 PM

Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0L h/o

u could modify ur existing trac bar to make it work for that application , but the kit from ballistic looks freaking beeeeeeefffyyyyy!!!! id probs just go with that hahah
Old 02-03-2011, 10:00 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 97
Engine: 4.0L

If you go OTK you will need to raise your sway bar mounts, if you use one, or the drag link will hit.
Old 02-03-2011, 10:01 PM

Sway bar? What's that LOL.
Old 02-03-2011, 10:20 PM
CF Veteran

I don't run one either but a lot of people do.
Old 02-04-2011, 07:51 PM

Okay...so I'm liking Rusty's axle trac bar bracket. Now what material would I need to make my trac bar? If anyone has fab'd their own could you please let me know what type of DOM I should use? I was thinking 1.5"OD/ .250 wall. (this is assuming I even need to relocate.) I've been looking at pictures online of JCRs 1-ton upgrade and I see a lot of set ups with the original trac bar location. My steering is already set up OTK and I'm sure it will clear the new beefier tie rod and drag link. I believe it's a 1/8" difference. (JCRs is 1.25" DOM / .250 wall.)
Old 02-04-2011, 08:00 PM
CF Veteran

Mine is still in the stock location and my steering is homebuilt 1.5" DOM and heims.
Old 02-04-2011, 08:03 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 92

Originally Posted by Modestmike
Okay...so I'm liking Rusty's axle trac bar bracket. Now what material would I need to make my trac bar? If anyone has fab'd their own could you please let me know what type of DOM I should use? I was thinking 1.5"OD/ .250 wall. (this is assuming I even need to relocate.) I've been looking at pictures online of JCRs 1-ton upgrade and I see a lot of set ups with the original trac bar location. My steering is already set up OTK and I'm sure it will clear the new beefier tie rod and drag link. I believe it's a 1/8" difference. (JCRs is 1.25" DOM / .250 wall.)
Some 1.5/.250 is plenty for a track bar, not to mention extremely beefy. Besides that, all you would need is the heims (i use 3/4) and a double sheer frame side track bar bracket is preferred
Old 02-04-2011, 08:06 PM

I'm just over thinking everything right now. This is my DD and I don't want to be out of service for messing something up. I'm thinking it will all clear because my spring buckets are shaved and the sway bar mounts are non existent. The only thing I am worrying about is the angle of the trac bar in relation to the new setup although I hear(read) that the bumpsteer isn't all that noticeable but I do know that every XJ is different. I guess I can live with it and modify down the road if need be. So with that said, the trac bar is going to stay the way it is.
Old 02-07-2011, 10:14 AM

So I've decided to use the track bar and bracket that I already have(Came with the Full Traction lift kit) I just have a question in case i run into this problem that I've read and have little info on. My frame side track bar bushing is no good. It has play in it and I'm worried it might have messed up the bolt holes. I read that you can drill it out. Does that mean i would need new sleeves for the bushing or when people talk about drilling do they mean drill a new location? I'm trying to get a list of everything i need to finish the steering upgrade and I'm hoping to avoid any problems or surprises.
Old 02-07-2011, 02:22 PM

Okay....just ordered JCR's 1-ton OTK steering and I called full traction this morning to get my track bar bushing but it still hasn't shown up on my bank account so I'm wondering when it will be processed.
Old 02-10-2011, 10:55 AM

My track bar bushing is sitting somewhere in L.A. Since yesterday. Why does UPS do that??? I can't wait for all my parts to come in.
Old 02-10-2011, 11:41 AM
aka Wade-O

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 1989 Comanche

here is my setup. RE superflex joint for the frame side and poly bushing for axle side. i made my own axle mount using a old piece of box tube that i cut in half (leaving a C shape). i then welded braces to the coil spring pad and the upper control arm mount.
Old 03-04-2011, 12:56 PM

Default ballistic fabrication bracket

I just got my JCR OTK kit in and I have a few questions. Instead of making a new thread I'm going to bring this one up again.
I'm going to need to relocate the axle side track bar mount above the axle. Now I'm unsure of which one I need from ballistic fab.

http://www.ballisticfabrication.com/...nt_p_1629.html

http://www.ballisticfabrication.com/...nt_p_1399.html

I believe the D30 axle tube is 3'' diameter....someone correct me if I'm wrong. Also, there is an option for seperation(from center of axle tube) in either 6'' or 7''. I'm not sure which one I need. Somehow I think that either will be too tall to keep the angles right.

Here is a pic of the track bar that is currently on it. I was thinking of just cutting the the lower bend on it(where the heim is) and either threading the tube or weld an insert in it and mount it to the new bracket. The only thing throwing me off is the top curve. If I do that then that curve would be pretty high, unless i flip it....not sure if it will even work.

I'm sure this is the correct heim for the axle bracket.
http://www.ballisticfabrication.com/...r-_p_1423.html

My frame side bracket is 2'' wide from the inside and I need a suggestion on which joint I should use on that end. The bracket came with the Full Traction LA lift.

I like 89eliminator's setup but I think I want to get a pre-fabbed bracket to make things a little cleaner....no offense 89eliminator, which is why I was looking at ballistic fabs products.

Last edited by Modestmike; 03-04-2011 at 01:30 PM. Reason: more info/pic

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Trac Bar bracket