Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Towing an XJ with an XJ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2015, 01:47 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L HO
Default Towing an XJ with an XJ?

So I've traded an old nissan sentra for a lifted 91 XJ and it ended up coming with a 98 roller parts car with some tasty dana 44s. That being said, I have two questions. One, will I be able to use one of those u-haul dollys to tow the 98 with my 99? It has a 3.5" RE superflex kit with the full packs and sits ***-high to begin with, so I'm not too worried about the tongue weight. Secondly, will I be able to use said tow dolly with a 4x4? I've heard TC in neutral Trans in park and leave the wheel unlocked to allow the dolly to turn properly? Can someone back me up with some experience? Thanks!
Old 07-19-2015, 02:25 AM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Engine: 4.5L Stroker

I towed a stock xj with my 99 xj 5.5 inch lift and. 35s with stock gears. The xj in tow was t-case in neutral and trans in park, though I locked the steering. The tow dolley pivoted itself just fine. My only word of advise is one don't tow in drive. Put in 3 if you have auto trans. Not good to tow in overdrive. Also my rig did great pulling jeep as I have a 4.5L stroker but as far as stopping its not gonna be good. Being that you may have smaller tires on your rig they may not over power the brakes as bad as mine. Leave yourself lots of room to stop, slow down way ahead of potential full stops and go a lil slower and will do just fine. Brakes are only real challenge as you have one xjs brakes stopping two xjs.
Old 07-19-2015, 05:26 AM
CF Veteran

Received 94 Likes on 85 Posts
Year: 1990, 1999, 2000
Engine: 4.0

yeah, we've done it too. everything ^he has said. just take it easy and drive one step ahead of yourself till you get the hang of it.

if you can take 5 mins to pull the rear shaft, even better. 4 bolts, 8mm wrench.
Old 07-19-2015, 07:00 AM
CF Veteran

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L 162,000

I've done it before.
Go to uhaul online and fill out like you are ordering a dolly. It will ask for tow vehicle and towed vehicle. Might need to tell them you are towing a sentra.

Unbolt the drive shaft, pull it out of the transfer case, cover up the end of the transfer case housing with baggie/trash bag and secure.

Drive slow 50mph and anticipate stops.
Old 07-19-2015, 08:09 AM
CF Veteran

Received 298 Likes on 253 Posts
Year: '96

Maybe just me but towing that much weight I'd have the front sway bar connected. I didn't while towing a dual axled U-Haul loaded to the hilt. Was not fun.
Old 07-19-2015, 08:23 AM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

I'm not going to risk having nightmares for the rest of my life to save a couple of dollars. Pay someone with a flatbed to move it for you.
Old 07-19-2015, 08:26 AM
CF Veteran

Received 298 Likes on 253 Posts
Year: '96

GOOD idea.
Old 07-19-2015, 08:54 AM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0L H.O.

Originally Posted by Turbo X_J
I'm not going to risk having nightmares for the rest of my life to save a couple of dollars. Pay someone with a flatbed to move it for you.
This.

I towed a stock XJ with another from San Antonio to Uvalde. Was slow going and I had my concerns about trans temps, but went ok... till I had to stop somewhat hard on a down hill curve. Swear I about sucked the upholstery right up into my sphincter. Ill never attempt that again. Called Docs Towing when I got back to town, turns out it only would've cost me $65 for the tow.
Old 07-19-2015, 10:01 AM
jmg

ditto on the tow-- this isn't a high dollar thing to do... TOP of the line, enclosed transport to bring my '67 vette from fla to NY was $800. That's the high water mark... same places had non-enclosed, flat beds from fla to ny for less than half. And that's 1800 miles. Even if it costs $300 (which I'm assuming it won't, you didn't say how far you're towing, but can't imagine its that far) even a few hundred isn't worth it if you roll.
Old 07-19-2015, 10:51 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I tow my 99 XJ with my 04 WJ (stock) often on a trailer (car hauler) but there is a lot of difference between them. The WJ has a 4.7HO engine with a complete HD towing package including the 3.73 gears, it does a good job it I stay out of the mountains.

I would not be comfortable pulling with the XJ even with 4.56 gears. Braking isn't a problem as I have brakes on both axles on my race car trailer its the weight factor with the 4.0 and AW4. Times when I'm in the mountains or a longer haul I use our 1 ton Crew Cab with a Power Stroke.

If I were you I would try to borrow a PU from a friend to tow it with or pay someone to do it for you.
Old 07-19-2015, 01:31 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 97
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by Fred/N0AZZ
I tow my 99 XJ with my 04 WJ (stock) often on a trailer (car hauler) but there is a lot of difference between them. The WJ has a 4.7HO engine with a complete HD towing package including the 3.73 gears, it does a good job it I stay out of the mountains.

I would not be comfortable pulling with the XJ even with 4.56 gears. Braking isn't a problem as I have brakes on both axles on my race car trailer its the weight factor with the 4.0 and AW4. Times when I'm in the mountains or a longer haul I use our 1 ton Crew Cab with a Power Stroke.

If I were you I would try to borrow a PU from a friend to tow it with or pay someone to do it for you.
This. My car trailer is super heavy (4k or so) and when I was towing my 99 home, my trailer brakes quit working. I've got an 08 super duty with a powerstroke and I could smell how hot my brakes were getting trying to stop coming down hills. If I had been using another XJ, I can guarantee I wouldn't have been able to stop. It's just not worth the risk if you ask me. The heaviest thing I tow with my xj is my boat and that is only 1,300 with the trailer.
Old 07-19-2015, 02:37 PM
CF Veteran

Received 226 Likes on 176 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0 L

If you go the tow dolly route make sure you have the swaybar hooked up on both vehicles.

We towed my buddy's old xj on a dolly and it was scary. 6" on 31s, no sway bar and sloppy steering. I really thought we were going to roll when the xj started swaying back and forth hard.

Get a flatbed if you can swing it.
Old 07-19-2015, 03:42 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 97
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by XJlimitedx99
If you go the tow dolly route make sure you have the swaybar hooked up on both vehicles.

We towed my buddy's old xj on a dolly and it was scary. 6" on 31s, no sway bar and sloppy steering. I really thought we were going to roll when the xj started swaying back and forth hard.

Get a flatbed if you can swing it.
6" on 31's?!?! Whyyyyyyy????
Old 07-19-2015, 05:52 PM
CF Veteran

Received 226 Likes on 176 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0 L

Originally Posted by BNJeepsta
6" on 31's?!?! Whyyyyyyy????
I think they were just some junk tires that were on it when he bought it.
Old 07-19-2015, 08:37 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 1998

First I don't think Uhaul will rent you a dolly under that premise.

Second - I did it from Alabama to Florida down the interstate, it got scary going down hills as I felt the jeep pushing the back of my jeep... I had to just keep accelerating to keep from being pushed to jackknife.

Third, I smoked my trans on the 3rd time towing it in town, I overheated and it started pumping fluid everywhere.... after it cooled down it did not shift right... changed some solenoids, but continued to have problems until one day it completely puked (spewing quarts every few miles) towing a 1500lb trailer and I had to have my jeep towed home.

I would not tow without a trans cooler - PERIOD !! and you are really pushing it and probably will have a huge liability problem if you get in a wreck.

Quick Reply: Towing an XJ with an XJ?