Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Too Much Rear Lift: No Lift Shackle Relocators with 1" Zone Shackles

Old 11-03-2014, 01:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Too Much Rear Lift: No Lift Shackle Relocators with 1" Zone Shackles

Hey guys,

Over the weekend I made what I thought would be a big upgrade to my ride quality: HD Engineering No Lift Shackle Relocation with 1" Greasable Zone Boomerang Style Shackles.

Here's my setup: 99 XJ 4.0 4WD with a RC 4.5 X-Series lift (full leaves), HnT SYE, yada yada...

In an effort to correct my shackle angle, I bought the relocation kit. It went in beautifully and I'm very happy with that piece. I figured while I was at it I should change the shackle bushings or the shackles themselves. I obviously opted for the new Zone shackles. After 3 tries at finding the right hole, I finally did.

My angle is slightly greater than 45 degrees. Im hoping it settles a bit. I tried the hole closest to the front and the shackle bottomed out into the bracket. Then I moved it back 2 and it was the worst ride I've ever had. Therefore, I settled on middle (second from the front). The problem is that the rear is too high for my liking now and I really think the ride is a little rougher, especially at lower speeds.

My question is: what's the best way to go about correcting both issues? My thought is that I can take 1 leaf out. Would there be any negatives to that? If that's no good, should I get shorter springs? Considering that I took the thing apart 3 times this weekend, id like to get it right the first time in this last try. Haha

I greased everything pretty liberally. One thought I had is that maybe the rear bolt attaching the leaf to the shackle is too tight which is hurting my ride. I'm not entirely sure. What do you guys think? Thanks in advance!
Old 11-03-2014, 02:30 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1994

Originally Posted by t_long
Hey guys,

Over the weekend I made what I thought would be a big upgrade to my ride quality: HD Engineering No Lift Shackle Relocation with 1" Greasable Zone Boomerang Style Shackles.

Here's my setup: 99 XJ 4.0 4WD with a RC 4.5 X-Series lift (full leaves), HnT SYE, yada yada...

In an effort to correct my shackle angle, I bought the relocation kit. It went in beautifully and I'm very happy with that piece. I figured while I was at it I should change the shackle bushings or the shackles themselves. I obviously opted for the new Zone shackles. After 3 tries at finding the right hole, I finally did.

My angle is slightly greater than 45 degrees. Im hoping it settles a bit. I tried the hole closest to the front and the shackle bottomed out into the bracket. Then I moved it back 2 and it was the worst ride I've ever had. Therefore, I settled on middle (second from the front). The problem is that the rear is too high for my liking now and I really think the ride is a little rougher, especially at lower speeds.

My question is: what's the best way to go about correcting both issues? My thought is that I can take 1 leaf out. Would there be any negatives to that? If that's no good, should I get shorter springs? Considering that I took the thing apart 3 times this weekend, id like to get it right the first time in this last try. Haha

I greased everything pretty liberally. One thought I had is that maybe the rear bolt attaching the leaf to the shackle is too tight which is hurting my ride. I'm not entirely sure. What do you guys think? Thanks in advance!
I have the same springs and relocators on my 94. Different shackles though.

A picture would help a lot here....

My rear springs settled about 1" in the months after I installed the relocators. I recently cut one coil off the front to match.

You might just drive it for a few months without doing anything and see what happens.

I tried pulling the smallest leaf. No lower and lots of axle wrap so it went back in. I didn't try pulling any of the others.

I trimmed my relocator for shackle clearance.

I keep thinking about getting shorter springs.

Bottom line is that you have to run longer shackles for highly arched springs to flex. You need to either live with more lift than you want or replace the springs.
Old 11-03-2014, 04:32 PM

I knew I couldn't be the only one with this problem! Searches turned up dry though.

I will take a picture and post it up tonight. Thanks for the input though. I was afraid of that answer but was kind of figuring the same thing. Planning on trimming my brackets once I get everything squared away as well. I knew this was a risk I was taking with the new shackles, but I thought it would be better in the long run. In any case, here is a before picture and what I installed.

Also, I've had my lift installed for about 6 weeks. Do you think it has already settled?

Before shackle relocation (on the ground)

Relocation brackets (painted) and the new shackles.

Here is what they looked like in the third hole but the bolt is in the second hole now. Better angle.
Old 11-03-2014, 05:52 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 2000

Originally Posted by t_long
I knew I couldn't be the only one with this problem! Searches turned up dry though.

I will take a picture and post it up tonight. Thanks for the input though. I was afraid of that answer but was kind of figuring the same thing. Planning on trimming my brackets once I get everything squared away as well. I knew this was a risk I was taking with the new shackles, but I thought it would be better in the long run. In any case, here is a before picture and what I installed.

Also, I've had my lift installed for about 6 weeks. Do you think it has already settled?

Before shackle relocation (on the ground)

Relocation brackets (painted) and the new shackles.

Here is what they looked like in the third hole but the bolt is in the second hole now. Better angle.
Correct me if I'm wrong but those are not the no lift relocators. The no lift option mounts up higher after you cut off the shackle box so that's why your rear came up higher
Old 11-03-2014, 05:58 PM
CF Veteran

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f51/no...ffroad-169273/
Old 11-03-2014, 05:59 PM

I'll post a better picture of the stance in a little... But here's some more. I was in a rush and couldn't get a good pic of the rake.

From the rear.

New shackle angle...
Old 11-03-2014, 06:05 PM

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
Year: 1997

Those are the standard relo boxes.
Old 11-03-2014, 06:13 PM

Ahhhhh mannnn! You're right, I bought the wrong ones!

For whatever reason I thought this was a new style. Because I
Bought them on eBay and didn't realize they had lift and no lift. Dang it!!!

Any way to keep them and still lose lift? Maybe they will take mercy on me if I call and tell them my story?
Old 11-03-2014, 06:48 PM

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
Year: 1997

You could remove one of the middle leafs and see what you get if you dont mind the work. It will soften the ride as well as lower it. It will also lower your load capacity. Its completely fine to do but your end result will be unknown until you do it. Ive been down the bastard pack route which isnt much different with what I suggested. It can be a tedious pita but its inexpensive and may end up being a good solution.

You could also go back to OEM shackles and notch the boxes for clearance. I did it and Ive seen others as well. No harm that route either and if you need new boxes Brian will sell them separate. Quoted me $60 for replacements a while back but I ended keeping the notched ones they still work for my setup.
Old 11-03-2014, 07:12 PM
CF Veteran

Received 224 Likes on 174 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0 L

Alright somebody correct me if this is a terrible idea, but:

Drill a new hole in the shackles you have.

My shackles are about that length, but they have two pairs of holes where the leaf spring mounts to.

Too Much Rear Lift: No Lift Shackle Relocators with 1" Zone Shackles-image-859833872.jpg

Looks like you could do that to yours.
Old 11-03-2014, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by Tsaani97xj
You could remove one of the middle leafs and see what you get if you dont mind the work. It will soften the ride as well as lower it. It will also lower your load capacity. Its completely fine to do but your end result will be unknown until you do it. Ive been down the bastard pack route which isnt much different with what I suggested. It can be a tedious pita but its inexpensive and may end up being a good solution.

You could also go back to OEM shackles and notch the boxes for clearance. I did it and Ive seen others as well. No harm that route either and if you need new boxes Brian will sell them separate. Quoted me $60 for replacements a while back but I ended keeping the notched ones they still work for my setup.
Thanks for the input! I may try that. The ride is a little firm for me right now. I'm not towing anything just yet but I could be in the future. I think I'll start by contacting HD to see if they would help a fellow Jeeper out.

Just for more information, here are a couple of pics of my rig.

Old 11-03-2014, 07:15 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Tsaani97xj

From personal experience I would advice against removing a leaf. I did it once and that day my axle wrapped enough that it snapped one of my shocks while offroading.
Old 11-03-2014, 07:44 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 97
Engine: 4.0L

Just go back to stock shackles
Old 11-03-2014, 08:08 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1995

What is the eye to eye lengths of those shackles?
Old 11-03-2014, 09:52 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1994

Originally Posted by BNJeepsta
Just go back to stock shackles
The stock shackles will be to short to allow those springs to flatten much and will probably bind in the relocators as well.

I tried those springs and the stock shackles in the no lift version of the relocators. No joy.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Too Much Rear Lift: No Lift Shackle Relocators with 1" Zone Shackles