Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tomken XJ rear tire bumper...any experience/reviews?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2017, 08:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Tomken XJ rear tire bumper...any experience/reviews?

After looking around I've seen the Smittybuilt XRC (I've read some questionable reviews about it), JCR Vanguard (a bit too pricey for me), and the Rockhard 4x4 (kind of leaning towards that look/price), but I did stumble upon a Tomken brand bumper with tire swing attachment that would run around 700-800 combined which is decent.

Anyone have experience with the Tomken? Won't be running bigger than 33s and I would like something that doesn't squeak or rattle.

Here's a link to the Quadratec page where they are selling the tire swing attachment: https://www.quadratec.com/products/72202_800.htm

Thanks,
XJM
Old 10-10-2017, 12:57 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1998

I had a tomken rear bumper exactly like that on my TJ. it was a pretty good bumper but I had some issues with the cam over latch popping loose when driving. I had to fab up a different latch in the end. But it did work. It held up to a 33 no problem too.
Old 10-10-2017, 10:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998

i have the old style with a double pin system to hold it closed. it has rattled since day one. i dont mind. mine doesn't have the greasable bolt.
it only bolts to the face of the frame not into it like other bumpers i have seen. never had an issue.
i have the quarter armor "caps" on it. i think they are made to work with another model because i had to cut them down and weld them on. looks good now, but they are supposed to be bolt on. got a deal on them second hand so.. made it work

Last edited by nolanbalzarini; 10-10-2017 at 10:16 PM.
Old 10-14-2017, 02:19 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I think that link is the add on swing out so you need that and their bumper.From what i can remember you won't find a good tire carrier bumper under a grand anymore.The ones you will are nates 4x4 or logans both are known for taking 6 months to a year to send out a bumper.What about just a hitch mount tire carrier ?